Phantis Forums

Greek Youth Vs Foreign Youth

Kojak

After long discussions and a lot of thinking the only conclusion i have come up with is that greek youth is completely underated but most of all neglected. Why does this occur? Can it be rectified? And will clubs endlessly and always look at other countries for fresh faces and new players? Despite a wave of Greek players heading overseas in the past decade the age of these players is disturbing, the only oportunity they get to develop as players is at 30 and then at 32/33 come back and play for AO Kefallonias-Ithakis(just an example of a s%$#! team). The problem i think starts from Olympaikos, AEK, Panathinaikos.

Take PAO we may have produced a few players basinas, goumas etc. Who were given opportunities to play and have proven to be quality(questionable). But only at desperate times, and when the club is forced to do it do we promote or give players like that a chance. Loaning them out to kolopetinitsa to improve and get game time isnt always the right solution. Just give them a chance when we play crap teams in the league, surely they would perfporm better than some of the agouria in a our squad. Manolas/apostolakis summed it up when they said they have some players in the youth national teams who are playing in 3rd division( owned by Oly, PAO, AEK) Ridiculous! Darlas etc. You cant tell me oxyzoglou/darlas and even gittas for godsake wouldnt have helped in some games this season. Oxyz is 19, overseas players have plenty games under their belt with the top squad, if not rated as starting players. If Aigaleo, Chalkidona, PAOK can be close to the top five by playing,and giving opportunities to 17/18/19yrolds then why dont the big clubs do it as well.

It irritates and pisses me off when i see man u, real madrid, and other clubs in CL, playing six youngsters, who probably arent that good, yet run rings around us, cause they are given a chance.

If Greeces top clubs dont believe in greek youth and continually look for polish, swedish, albanian, bosnian, serbian youth (worse leagues than greek) then what are the chances of a greek player ever been considered a hot prospect, not from the papers, but worldwide with scouts, major clubs before they even become regular starters.

Do our youth have to develop through Marko, Giannena, Patraikos etc to become worthy players, isnt it better to come through Oly, AEK, PAO. 8 games for any of those teams is better than 30 in lower divisions.

Do our players have to be 26 and over to be able to go overseas, and even then they still have to prove themselves and struggle to earn a place in the lineup.

Sorry if its long, im just frustrated, what do you guys think?

Kojak,

I would agree with you. Too often Greek teams have had this inferiority complex about their own players in the youth system. As you cited examples in Goumas and Basinas, etc..., you would think that the impetus would be there to put some money into their youth systems to exploit the fine talent that exists in Greece. You would think so, but.....this is Greece.

Why don't they institute a rule whereby top flight teams who participate in the Champions League must incorporate their youth system into their team. At least on some level or degree. The incentive to put money into the youth system would be there then because there would be a clear benefit. More money into the youth system, more chances of scouting or recruiting a solid youngster, more chances of the youngster being seen in CL play and/or transferred to a foreign club or given the opportunity to play for the big boys.

Maybe I'm just talking out of my ass. Perhaps my idea sucks. But I think Kojak has made an excellent point and it raises too many questions about the validity of the Greek footballing system.

Not only what Batigol stated, but it would also benefit Greece at an International level to have an abundance of young Greek talent coming through the ranks.

Im not sure how your idea of the Champions League rule would be implicated but my guess is that would be far fetched.

But we need an organised system to keep on cycling in youth players and giving them a chance. If we dont give them a chance, who in Europe will. Arsenal reserves!?

One more point, Greece in general also lacks in the ability or fails to have a system to produce our own coaches. Sure, we have many coaches but most of them obtain their coaching certificate outside of Greece. In fact, I remember a few yrs back an interview on Super Savato (sorry cant remember who was been interviewed) and the guest was repeatedly saying of the failures of the oyr FA to not have a school or system for our own coaches.

Excuse me...

Who is the Greek (under20's very young player with most talent ?

Isn't there any italian player in the greek competitions? Luigi Cennamo is italian/greece :D ?

Thank you.

Bye!

• 2 weeks later...

06/14/2004. Greek giants and double-winners Panathinaikos have signed five talented players from the club's Academy.

Giorgos Sikalias (25/3/86), Alexandros Tseberidis (26/7/86), Theodoros Tripotseris (4/3/86), Perklis Bounisakis (23/4/86) and Stelios Kritikos (10/1/86), all have signed their first professional contracts.

All the above young players together with Christos Oxizoglou who signed last January, had played a significant role in Panathinaikos' youth team in domestic and international games and all are members of the Greece youth team.

The football academy of the Greek team is a major investment, not only for the future of the club but for Greek Football as well. In their sports facilities in Peania, children from all over Greece and young talented players from third world countries, are becoming acquainted with the secrets of football, having their skills improved and being prepared for the big step.

The services that are being provided to these young players are not limited just to football. In the facilities there is a superb hostel, where all the children are studying for their high school diplomas, and are learning foreign languages while they are being provided with tutorials in after school hours. Inside the hostel there is a restaurant, a swimming pool, a sauna and recreational areas.

There are several players deriving from the Academy of Panathinaikos having a firm career today such as Giorgos Karagounis, Angelos Basinas, Yiannis Goumas, Stefanos Kotsolis, Andreas Koutelieris, Giorgos Simos, Giorgos Vakouftsis, Giorgos Alexopoulos, Lampros Choutos, Kostas Chalkias.

http://www.soccerage.com/

Archived