Phantis Forums

Stelios Giannakopoulos (Hull City)

Ziaka

Stelios still keen on Liverpool

Reuters

Bolton Wanderers midfielder Stelios Giannokopoulos says he is still keen to move to "a bigger club", with Liverpool his dream location.

In an interview in the Greek daily newspaper Eleftheros Typos on Monday, Giannokopoulos is quoted as saying: "I would give everything to go to Liverpool."

The 31-year-old, who was a member of the Greece team who won the 2004 European championship, was close to a move to Liverpool last year but talks between the two clubs failed to produce a deal and instead he signed a new three-year contract with Bolton.

"I have become more stubborn since last season when I didn't go to Liverpool - although their official proposal gave me moral satisfaction," said Giannokopoulos.

"That's my dream. Not only to go to Liverpool but, in general, to go to a bigger team. Then I would say that I have reached the peak of my career. That's my vision and I am working very hard every week to make Liverpool or any big team chase my signature."

Bolton are seventh in the Premier League, four places behind European champions Liverpool.

Giannokopoulos, however, who has scored 12 times for Bolton this season, including the first goal in Sunday's (Monday morning AEDT) 4-3 defeat at Middlesbrough, did not rule out a return to Greece.

"I would rather stay and finish my career abroad. But if I come back to Greece it will only be for (former club) Olympiakos," he said.

Elsewhere in the interview, he praised Manchester City's Greek striker Georgios Samaras.

"He is only 21 but he plays like a 29-year-old," he said. "He is very mature and very talented. If he continues with the same rhythm, then City will be too small to keep him. He is made for bigger stuff."

WHATS STELIOS SAYING :tdown: If he goes to Liverpool he'll be on the bench

Ill still support him but :tup:

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Stelios still keen on Liverpool

Reuters

Bolton Wanderers midfielder Stelios Giannokopoulos says he is still keen to move to "a bigger club", with Liverpool his dream location.

In an interview in the Greek daily newspaper Eleftheros Typos on Monday, Giannokopoulos is quoted as saying: "I would give everything to go to Liverpool."

The 31-year-old, who was a member of the Greece team who won the 2004 European championship, was close to a move to Liverpool last year but talks between the two clubs failed to produce a deal and instead he signed a new three-year contract with Bolton.

"I have become more stubborn since last season when I didn't go to Liverpool - although their official proposal gave me moral satisfaction," said Giannokopoulos.

"That's my dream. Not only to go to Liverpool but, in general, to go to a bigger team. Then I would say that I have reached the peak of my career. That's my vision and I am working very hard every week to make Liverpool or any big team chase my signature."

Bolton are seventh in the Premier League, four places behind European champions Liverpool.

Giannokopoulos, however, who has scored 12 times for Bolton this season, including the first goal in Sunday's (Monday morning AEDT) 4-3 defeat at Middlesbrough, did not rule out a return to Greece.

"I would rather stay and finish my career abroad. But if I come back to Greece it will only be for (former club) Olympiakos," he said.

Elsewhere in the interview, he praised Manchester City's Greek striker Georgios Samaras.

"He is only 21 but he plays like a 29-year-old," he said. "He is very mature and very talented. If he continues with the same rhythm, then City will be too small to keep him. He is made for bigger stuff."

WHATS STELIOS SAYING :tdown: If he goes to Liverpool he'll be on the bench

Ill still support him but :tup:

Its not sure that he will be on the bench?.. Or maybe I have wrong, But doesn´t Kewll play on the right side? He´s not BETTER than Giannakopoulos.. Or maybe he plays on the left side?..

i used to like this player and was one of my least hated for gavros....but after reading his interview--i think hes just an ass

Just so you guys know, the very next day, Stelios denied ever having done this interview!!! It was on teletext in England.

Another interesting point is that he grew up supporting PAO!

Bolton manager Sam Allardyce has branded Stelios Giannakopoulos 'silly' after confirmation from the Greek that he would like to sign for Liverpool.

Allardyce has been angered by the revelations of Stelios's intention to move to a bigger club especially as the player had only recently committed his long-term future to The Trotters.

The Greek international midfielder agreed a new three-year contract last summer after a projected move to Rafa Benitez's Liverpool fell through.

Stelios has since stressed his commitment to the Wanderers cause but the initial admission has angered Allardyce.

Stelios's highly-publicised statement of intent could reignite Reds interest but Allardyce would be loathe to sell the highly-influential 31-year-old.

"He signed a three-year contract with us so we will decide if we sell him or not," said Allardyce.

"I am not concerned by something silly he said simply that he should not have said it. He made a mistake.

"He has ambition and has had for years but he did not need to air it publicly.

"He wants to do more and achieve more, that's what he was expressing but it came out the wrong way."

I think he put his foot in his mouth and basically revealed too much of his thoughts especially to a greek sports reporter. Doesn't make sense for him to say that he wants to go to Liverpool and just signed a 3 year deal.

When I read the interview on Contra.gr I was even surprised how openly he spoke about things. I wonder in what respect how his other teammates look at him in the locker room. Unless this whole fiasco has been blown out of context.

I think at his age he should be happy and lucky playing regularly at Bolton and not have wishful thinking being at Liverpool.

giannakopoulos was misunderstoood in his interview..he could have gotten his point across without saying it in the fashion that he did. he has been a huge performer for bolton though and along with davis and jaaskalainen probably the most importnat player bolton have at the moment... dont think he should go to liverpool, bolton seems to be the right place for him even though eeing him move to anfield would be in teresting...

• 1 month later...
I've got a friend who's a Bolton fan. He said that Alladyce is leaving in the summer (which has been well-publicised anyway), but this will lead to a mass-exodus of players who will either be released because they are not needed (already happened with N'Gotty and Okocha) or sold because they don't want to stay. Apparently Stelios will leave in the summer, but Liverpool are no longer intrested. What will happen??? If he leaves where is he likely to end up?

• 2 months later...
Its believed that the Bolton management are starting the process of bringing Vaz Te into the starting lineup! This could mean Stelios will remain on the bench! What will happen? Will he stay as a squad rotation player?

• 3 weeks later...

Can he have burnt out so quickly ???????????????????????

I can't believe that - although his m*****es re Liverpool seems to have screwed him

Didn't Anelka sign too - another offensive player to compete for for minute :(

Archived