Phantis Forums

Stelios Giannakopoulos (Hull City)

Ziaka

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest TheLegend

Hes scored more goals than most of their midfeilders that have played 10x more than him and still doesnt even get subbed in at half. What are these subs in the 88th minute etc. Means nothing shouldnt even count as an appearance.

• 3 weeks later...

loup is that a link? If so can you please repost it cause it seems messed?

this is the goal

that last post was taken off the ESPNSOCCERNET repot of the game

Note: Edited by the moderator to embed the movie. These forums now allow embedding of YOUTUBE videos. There is a corresponding button in the post form.

Guest TheLegend

Started and played about 55 minutes today until he got subbed which I could understand because Bolton maybe wanted to go for a goal to be 100% sure of progressing to the next round.

Idk how he played though but every game Ive seen this years hes been pretty good

Started and played about 55 minutes today until he got subbed which I could understand because Bolton maybe wanted to go for a goal to be 100% sure of progressing to the next round.

Idk how he played though but every game Ive seen this years hes been pretty good

Well he can't of been that good to get subbed. But the British news said he forced the "keeper into a smart save"

• 2 months later...
Guest TheLegend

barely plays, but scores goals as a midfeilder as common as some of our greek fowards score...

and also hes still in the EPL which is much faster pace and competetive league. He defintly wrote you people off who said he shouldnt be on the squad ;)

stelios scored on 46' against tottenham!! the game so far is 1-1

The game finished 1-1 giving Bolton's hopes of avoiding relegation a boost. But before we all get too excited about Stelios re-discovering his goal scoring touch we should note that it was a tap-in. Congrats to him, but I don't think he should go to the Euros.

But before we all get too excited about Stelios re-discovering his goal scoring touch we should note that it was a tap-in. Congrats to him, but I don't think he should go to the Euros.[/b][/color]

he's got to go we're seriously short of quality midfielders especialy if torosidis is used at full back

Guest TheLegend

The game finished 1-1 giving Bolton's hopes of avoiding relegation a boost. But before we all get too excited about Stelios re-discovering his goal scoring touch we should note that it was a tap-in. Congrats to him, but I don't think he should go to the Euros.

Hes perfect for us. Hes on the bench 90% of the time and can still go in outrun and hustle every ball at his age. He is still better than others we have to offer especialy if its 4-3-3 and play with a wing foward. Who should play wing? Charisteas? A CF as a WF?

If stelios is to old to come Dellas shouldnt even be playing soccer anymore

Hes perfect for us. Hes on the bench 90% of the time and can still go in outrun and hustle every ball at his age. He is still better than others we have to offer especialy if its 4-3-3 and play with a wing foward. Who should play wing? Charisteas? A CF as a WF?

stelios is actually one year older than dellas is... :blink:

Stelios is also a midfielder, which is a position which requires more athletic ability than a sweeper/centre-back. He can't run past players as he's lost his pace, he doesn't hustle at all actually Legend and that was a major criticism Sam Alladyce had about him last year, imagine now that he's even older and having less playing time how much his fitness levels have dropped (and in turn his ability to hustle). I realise you look at everything through Olympiakos spectacles, but this is the ethniki and a guy that sits on the bench at a relegation-bound English team, and who has only scored 1 goal all year should not be in the ethniki.

Guest TheLegend

Stelios is also a midfielder, which is a position which requires more athletic ability than a sweeper/centre-back. He can't run past players as he's lost his pace, he doesn't hustle at all actually Legend and that was a major criticism Sam Alladyce had about him last year, imagine now that he's even older and having less playing time how much his fitness levels have dropped (and in turn his ability to hustle). I realise you look at everything through Olympiakos spectacles, but this is the ethniki and a guy that sits on the bench at a relegation-bound English team, and who has only scored 1 goal all year should not be in the ethniki.
Dude you need to cut your crap about this olympiacos s%$#! and cut your crap about your "opinions and bashing eveyone elses. You just dont like a player so you s%$#! on him and say he sucks. He played wing foward and played well. Was involved in many plays. In the EPL. He may lack pace... IN THE ENGLISH PREMIER LEAGUE THE FASTEST PACE LEAGUE (incase you didnt know cuz it seems you didnt) but for players we got on the ethniki he easily deserves a spot. You just talk trash about players you hate. You dont see that we have no wing foward...

Keep talking my man. You have 0 clue what your blabering about

Dude you need to cut your crap about this olympiacos s%$#!

It's my opinion that you're blinkered with Olympiakos. This is evident by the following facts:

(1) You think Antzas is amazing and the best defender on the NT.

(2) You think Stelios is still fantastic. Yes he's one of the best exports we've ever had and he took the Premiership by storm, but he's now ineffective and sits on the bench for a team that is on the verge of relegation and is no better than Asteras Tripolis.

(3) You refuse to accept that AEK have been hard done by in the league this year. I can understand you saying that Olympiakos deserves the league because Kalamaria need to be made an example of. I can understand you saying Oly are the best team because of what was acheived in Europe. But you fail to even see AEK's position. If it was the other way around would you be congratulating AEK and arguing with as much vigour that they are deserving champions?

(4) I didn't really want to bring this up but you even tried to justify (or if thats a strong word, deflect attention from the evil surrounding) the murder of a PAO fan.

If that doesn't show some serious blinkeredness I don't know what does.

and cut your crap about your "opinions and bashing eveyone elses.

You rate Stelios I don't think he's as good anymore, I'm not bashing your opinion. I respect it, but I disagree. I'm sorry if that annoys you.

You just dont like a player so you s%$#! on him and say he sucks.

I didn't say he sucks, he's just not NT level anymore imo. But doesn't everyone have their opinion on athletes? If I say that Anatolakis is the best defender in Europe, and you disagree and think he's crap, won't you say "he sucks"?

He played wing foward and played well. Was involved in many plays. In the EPL.

The key here is that you're talking in the past tense.

He may lack pace... IN THE ENGLISH PREMIER LEAGUE THE FASTEST PACE LEAGUE (incase you didnt know cuz it seems you didnt) but for players we got on the ethniki he easily deserves a spot.

I personally would rather see Ninis in the squad, and I'll explain why. Imo, neither of them are at a level that can offer anything significant to the NT, so I would rather have Ninis gain some experience and become associated with a major tournament. However, I do think that maybe (just maybe) Stelios could be a useful impact player (i.e. if we're losing 1-0 to come on in the last 10 mins) so I'm not trash-talking him actually, I'm just saying that if I was manager I'd be 60-40 against taking him at the moment.

I can see "Stelios" on our NT only as a late-game substitute a la Tsartas 4 years back. He can still get the odd goal (e.g. v. Aris) and has scored some real scorchers in the past (e.g. v. Spain)

Btw, I have also seen him used as a wing back (NI - Greece at Windsor Park)

Incidentally, each of us is entitled to his own opinion on Giannakopoulos but can we limit the personal attacks here?

i agree with dude on this - i decided to cut the cord with stelios awhile back.

Well if you havnt cut the cord, you should cut it down (at least as a starter in the NT) . I dont really rate him anymore. But lets not kid ourselves, it would be a huge shock if we didnt see otto call stelios up to the NT. He could still be a usefull impact sub late in games, and he has alot of experience.

I think it's a given that Stelio gets called for the Euro. Even though he isn't nearly the same player he was in 2004 (then again, neither is Dellas), Otto will still call him probably just to provide some balance to the squad (lone winger on the whole team). How sad is it that Greece can't seem to produce one quality winger besides Stelio? Lagos has potential but he just isn't there yet (and I'm beginning to doubt whether he'll ever be).

At this point, Stelio's a bench-warmer and this is clearly the swan-song for this player (along with Dellas, Nikopolidis, and Karagounis). At least he does provide that veteran presence and hopefully a little leadership in the locker room.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived