Phantis Forums

SL1-R7: Panathinaikos - PAOK (01.10.23-19:30 EEST)

Blackhawk

Always tough to concede a goal so late. The way we played in the final 20-25 minutes really didn't help us see out the result, we just kept inviting pressure and while for the most part we defended well eventually they created a good enough chance to score. 

I don't mind sitting a little deeper when defending a lead, especially away in a derby. It was inevitable that Pana  would get on top in terms of possession, my issue is when we won it back we really had no outlets looking to counter. A hopeful long-ball to one player making a half-hearted run forward was never going to threaten Pana and so they just kept coming. When we won the ball we needed to counter with more purpose and numbers, to push them back and gain meters up the pitch. 

I'm also not a fan of Lucescu completely exploding about the officiating in this particular match. I only watched the 2nd half, but I don't think anyone would say the officiating impacted the result. I understand the explanation by some media that he was referring to previous games but still. It's not the time to do it, we blew the win because of how we played the final third of the game, not because they scored 5 seconds after minimum allocated stoppage time had elapsed.