Phantis Forums

EL-GS-R5: PAOK FC - Qabala FK (26-Nov-15, 22:05 GR)

Blackhawk

Neither did mooy at Fulham. Just because you had one shot as a kid doesn't mean you should not be able to develop at a different pace to others. I look at botanic's work rate combined with decent speed. Is he going to set the world on fire? No. Is he going to improve your squad? Yes. Is he going to cost a bomb? No. I think this is what you need to ask when recruiting.

I would say that the Swiss league is generally better than the GSL. And while as you say he was not a super star, he played and played regularly. What he does give you is someone who knows how to work a transition. We have zero blokes who can do this. Yeah they can play nice little neat triangles while the defenders have time to light up a ciggie and play some tavli.

Mooy on ability would walk into the starting XI in every GSL team

Not going to happen Reaper.  Natkho is on I think 2 million as it is.  So what would we have to offer to get him ?  3 wouldn't do it.  It would have to be 4, at least.  And even then it isn't enough.  We need 3 players of that quality.  Natkho alone wouldn't be enough.  And honestly, this is just my opinion, I think even if we offered him 5 million he'd still decline.  Why would he want to play in Greece ?  To do what you are saying, PAOK's player wage budget would need to be 2x to 3x what it is now.

In the GSL whether you come 2nd or 5th it's the same thing. When was the last time that the team that finished 2nd (post play-offs) got through to the CL ? The opponents to get through to the CL Group Stage, are too strong. If PAOK tried 10 years in a row, they'd get through once, with a truck load of luck. Their best chance was against a very weak Schalke and PAOK couldn't beat them.

My point being, if you're going to spend, you have to spend big, and go for the title or not at all. There is no point spending 5 or 10 million, and you're still 2 classes behind Olympiakos. Financially, it makes no sense. And now that direct qualification is going to disappear even for the title winner, it makes even less sense. If Savvidis was to going to spend big on a squad, and by that I mean 3 years of 10+ million in transfers he should've have done it when he came in 3 years ago. Now that Greece's coefficient has dropped so low, forget it, it's too late.

Having said that I still don't believe there is anything we could offer Natkho to come. As for the midfield, yes, it's lacking in quality but it is what it is. There is no simple fix I can see right now. I've said this before many times, the class of player required, would not come to PAOK. We have to "make" such a player(s).

Edited by Bananas
  • Like it 2

Natcho was here essentially because he wanted to rid himself of Rubin Kazan. He wanted to become available for a move to a better league, for free, preferably with CL play already guaranteed. While he did end up back in Russia, it cost CSKA nothing to get him, and he got what he really wanted.

That said, I'd take him back in a heartbeat. One of the few times I've seen a "slow" player have so immediate an impact in Greece. Let's not forget his inclusion immediately pushed Tziolis off onto the bench (and then off to Turkey). Win-win, really.

• Like it 1