Phantis Forums

TV rights for next season

Iraklis is the first team that started negotiations for the TV rights to their home games for the next season. Apparently they have agreed to sell their rights to Alpha TV. Contract should be signed in the next few days.

• 1 month later...

Rumors are that Chalkidona, Panionios, Xanthi, and Paniliakos have also agreed to give the TV rights to their home games to Alpha TV for next season.

Additionaly PAOK is seeking a 3-year deal for their rights, and right now Supersport (NETMED) is offering 5.4 million Euro for the next 3 seasons. PAOK are also awaiting an offer from Alpha, but it should be noted that Alpha still owes PAOK 700,000 Euro for the past three season's rights.

Ziaka,

It looks like Alpha will be broadcasting quite a bit of soccer next season, if they get the rights for all these teams. Seeing that this channel now has something of interest on it, do you think it will ever be available on Dish? I now you have mentioned before that at one point it was coming to dish but they couldn't come to an agreement, but has anything changed about this. Is there any hope for this channel?

I guess a more important question to ask first would be- wil Alpha show any of the games on its satellite channel?

Thanks.

HellasHab,

You raise very good questions. Unfortunately I don't have any new information concerning Alpha Sat on Dish. I still believe that sooner or later that channel will end up on Dishnetwork. Hopefully sooner.

As far as them carying the games that will be carried on Alpha TV in Greeece, that is another unknown. They were very unrelieable in the past. Only time will tell.

When I first subscribed to OdysseyTV, they were carrying programming from Alpha TV (or Alpha Sat). About 6-12 months later, Alpha TV gained the soccer rights in Greece for all the top teams. Odyssey (via Alpha Sat) began showing live soccer every weekend. That was until Alpha TV moved all its soccer to its failed satellite network Alpha Digital. Apparently games were no longer provided to Alpha Sat as Odyssey stopped showing soccer on the weekends.

Therefore, the last time Alpha TV had the rights to soccer, they transferred games over to Alpha Sat. And now there's no longer that pesky network Alpha Digital preventing programmimg to be transferred over to Alpha Sat (or so I assume) .

• 1 month later...

Apollon Kalamaria, the newly promoted team to A' Ethniki signed for 2 years with Alpha TV.

And rumors are that Olympiakos is ready to sign a deal with Alpha TV for next season as well.

It's official, Olympiakos signed with Alpha for 2 seasons, for approximately 3.5 million Euro.

Other teams that signed with Alpha so far are Iraklis, Panionios, Chalkidona, Xanthi and Kalamaria.

You can get Alpha Sat buy buying a KU Band Satellite. For about $300 Canadian you have one setup. You have to live on the eastern part of the Canada or the U.S. and you should have clear line of site as the elevation of the disk is about 23 degrees.

What Exocet is talking about is the Alpha Sat, which is available FTA (Free to Air) on the Galaxy 10R satellite. Also available on that satellite right now is Mad TV from Greece and RIK TV from Cyprus. It is part of the TARBS platform, which at one point planned on introducing a satellite platform similar to Dishnetwork and DirecTV. Unfortunately it looks like this will not happen. A lot of the channels that were uploaded on Galaxy 10R were slowly sublicenced by TARBS to other providers, including Dishnetwork and Globecast. At one point there was rumor that TARBS signed a contract with Dishnetwork to carry Alpha Sat, but that deal seems to have fallen through.

Eventually I see Alpha Sat to be available on Dishnetwork, which will mean that Alpha Sat will become scrambled on the Galaxy 10R satellite.

@ Exocet, do you have a KU band receiver set up? If yes, how easy is it to set up if you do it yourself? If it is as easy as setting up a Dish system, I might eventually go for one. Specially if that willbe the only way to see some of the Greek soccer here in the USA.

Here is the situation as far as TV rights is concerned for next season as it stands now:

Confirmed TV contracts

AEK Athens - Supersport

Apollon Kalamaria - Alpha TV

Chalkydona - Alpha TV

Iraklis - Alpha TV

Olympiakos - Alpha TV

Panionios - Alpha TV

Skoda Xanthi - Alpha TV

TV contracts not signed yet

Aris Thessaloniki

Aigaleo

Ergotelis or Akratitos

Ionikos Nikaias

Kallithea

Kerkyra

OFI - most likely will sign with Supersport

Panathinaikos - most likely will sign with Supersport

PAOK Thessaloniki - most likely will sign with Alpha TV

Ziaka,

I don't have one personally but a friend of mine does from work.

Here is the website that gives you a lot of info on setting one up.

http://www.kusat.com/go.php?path=/install/look.php

On that web page click on the look angle calculator and it will show you the elevation and azimuth you need to point the dish from where you live.

My friend from work took him about 1 week to point the dish, I believe he mentioned to meet that it is very close to other satellites. But with persistence you can find it.

That website should gives you general satelllite info.

Hope it helps.

Exocet

According to recent reports, MEGA TV and Supersport are in a bidding war for the rights to Panathinaikos home games.

Confirmed TV contracts

AEK Athens - Supersport

Chalkydona - Alpha TV

Iraklis - Alpha TV

Olympiakos - Alpha TV

Panionios - Alpha TV

Skoda Xanthi - Alpha TV

Aris Thessaloniki

Aigaleo

Ergotelis or Akratitos

Ionikos Nikaias

Kallithea

Kerkyra

Panathinaikos - Supersport or MEGA TV

PAOK Thessaloniki - most likely will sign with Alpha TV

PAOK has agreed with NETMED (Supersport) for the next four years, as far as TV right to home games is concerned. PAOk will receive 9 million Euro from NETMED over four years as a result.

Confirmed TV contracts

AEK Athens - Supersport

Chalkydona - Alpha TV

Iraklis - Alpha TV

Olympiakos - Alpha TV

Panionios - Alpha TV

PAOK Thessaloniki - Supersport (NETMED)

Skoda Xanthi - Alpha TV

Aris Thessaloniki

Aigaleo

Ergotelis or Akratitos

Ionikos Nikaias

Kallithea

Kerkyra

Panathinaikos - Supersport or MEGA TV

• 2 weeks later...

OFI signed a new deal with NETMED (Supersport) for one season worth 1.2 million Euro.

Confirmed TV contracts

AEK Athens - Supersport

Chalkydona - Alpha TV

Iraklis - Alpha TV

Olympiakos - Alpha TV

Panionios - Alpha TV

Skoda Xanthi - Alpha TV

Aris Thessaloniki

Aigaleo

Ergotelis - close to a deal with Alpha, but still talking to NETMED and ERT

Ionikos Nikaias

Kallithea

Kerkyra

OFI - close to deal with Supersport (NETMED)

Panathinaikos - close to deal with Supersport (NETMED)

• 2 weeks later...

Reports are that Alpha TV has made a strong bid for Panathinaikos games, and it looks like thet either Alpha or NetMed (Supersport) will end up with the rights to Panathinaikos games. It seems that ERT and MEGA have lost interest in acquiring the rights to Panathinaikos home games.

Recent report suggest that ERT will drop out from the race to sign A' Ethniki teams to TV contracts. It is very possible that the last four teams without a contract will end up with Netmed.

Confirmed TV contracts

AEK Athens - Supersport (NETMED)

Aris Thessaloniki - Supersport (NETMED)

Aigaleo - Supersport (NETMED)

Chalkydona - Alpha TV

Ionikos Nikaias - Supersport (NETMED)

Iraklis - Alpha TV

Kerkyra - Supersport (NETMED)

Olympiakos - Alpha TV

Panionios - Alpha TV

Skoda Xanthi - Alpha TV

Ergotelis

Kallithea

OFI

Panathinaikos

The unsigned teams are supposedly close to signing with NETMED.

Panathinaikos will announce any day now the TV company that will carry their home games. Latest reports are that it will be NETMED. The terms of the deal call for a 2-year contract worth 7 million Euro.

Archived