Phantis Forums

Michael Essien

Accor6

I'm fairly positive Cisse, Berg, Figueroa, Petric all came dinged up and coming off injury prayed years. PAO babies all of them during the preseason. They need them ready for the season, not the preseason.

The season starts with the CL qualifiers... he'll obviously not be ready till then.. and make take till 2-3 weeks within the GSL for him to see playing time

buying the player is a decision you make before a ball has been kicked,when you decide to pay someone of that age and history of injuries that amount of money you are taking a huge gamble.can he at 33 stay fit?can he at 33 cover the ground and tackle because that is what type of player he is,if he cant then what can he do,it was his fitness ,strength and work rate that made him a great player,if he doesn't posess these qualities anymore what good is he?i know one thing he wont be playing in the cl qualifiers so we are not getting our moneys worth there are we?

^^^ to be honest i never expected him to be fit for the third round cl qualifiers after he arrived with the training updates!. if we get past that! im hoping he can play in the play off rounds at least some part!...and i will say i still think he should be given time on the pitch to prove himself!!...don't get me wrong i know how you guy's feel and i agree!! quite a few things should be better!... but can't we give the respect of him actually playing first before making a quick judgment...

Edited by Green Man

if you were making the decision would you have paid that money for a player at his age and history also knowing he wouldn't be fit for the 3rd round of qualifiers?. if we were going to get a big name we needed them first and foremost for these crucial qualifiers that is make or break .

when buying veterans you do not buy them for positions that require them to run all day long .

all I know Is he has missed the pre season ,training by himself,talk he will go under the knife which will keep him out another 40-45 days,i thought we bought him because he could help on the pitch.especially champions league,if we bought him to keep our medical team busy then it has been a huge success.

That's ok. Relax

He will help when ready. He came here for other reasons as well. He has done his job quite well so far.

Petric will shut you up again :D

If we hadn't sign him fans would cry we don't sign a big name now that we did the ones that have it stuck in their head that the team should only be assembled by 28 year old or younger are also crying

lets see what petric and pranjic do in the European matches because last season they were atrocious.

you don't sign players based on what the fans are going to say,you buy them based on their ability to contribute on the field,essien was a huge gamble ,we didn't need to take it,that money along with the wages those over the hill croats get could of been used for something better and younger.

these are the facts he is getting huge money,he is injured and he wont be in the starting 11 for the champions league qualifiers ,which if we qualify the club gets around 20 million.

was he or was he not bought to help us get into the champions league ?

of course no one can shut you up,because you never have an opinion of your own you just toe the party line.

Edited by Asteras

When I hear he needs prosagogous operation first thing comes to my mind is......

Paulo Sousa

Yes the big name we brought over came we paid him huge money along with the same enoxlosis that Essien has (prosagogous). He limped to Athens made some important stints against juve( scored then came off after 20 mins reflared his hammie). 01 was key in the eArly rounds of cl where we topped the cl group then he was shipped out after the 3-0 loss at bernabeu. They said it had to do with a bust up with apostollakis over drinking red wine but I was told his injury came back. The diff between Sousa and Essien is Sousa hAd more organoti qualities some Essien doesn't have. Essien has Sousa written all over him wait and see

When I hear he needs prosagogous (hamstring)operation first thing comes to my mind is......

Paulo Sousa

Yes the big name we brought over came we paid him huge money along with the same enoxlosis that Essien has (prosagogous). He limped to Athens made some important stints against juve( scored then came off after 20 mins reflared his hammie). 01 was key in the eArly rounds of cl where we topped the cl group then he was shipped out after the 3-0 loss at bernabeu.(second cl group stage)

During his time on the pitch he could barely walk

They said it had to do with a bust up with apostollakis over drinking red wine after game but I was told his injury came back

And was the last straw. The diff between Sousa and Essien is Sousa hAd more organoti qualities something Essien doesn't have. Sousas 2 yrs had not many games in the Greek league he barely played.

Essien has Sousa written all over him wait and see.Similar injury similar circumstances similar age and similar amounts of appearances for the teams they both played for before they came to us. They just won't learn these idiots

Sousa hamstrung

2000 ? Parma (loan) 8 (0)

2000?2001 Panathinaikos 10 (0)

Essien hamstrung

2014?2015 Milan 20 (0)

2015 ? Panathinaikos (?)

BUSTS.........

Edited by Spirtto13
  • Like it 1

lets see what petric and pranjic do in the European matches because last season they were atrocious.

you don't sign players based on what the fans are going to say,you buy them based on their ability to contribute on the field,essien was a huge gamble ,we didn't need to take it,that money along with the wages those over the hill croats get could of been used for something better and younger.

I'm also against the essien signing because it means we have to nurse him back to full health before he can play, not to mention he is the wrong type of veteran but you can't include pranjic and petric in your rant. Both croatians have contributed to this side, not to mention petric being arguably our best player in the second half of last season. You keep bringing up their poor performances in europe, but you fail to mention that the team as a whole didn't perform, anastasiou didn't perform.

This excuse that the whole team didn't perform well in Europe last season is rubbish,rocha ,zajec,saravakos,warzycha,domazos ,andoniadis,used to grab the team by the scruff of the neck if they were not playing well and change the course of the game on their own,didnt matter to them if the whole team was playing well or not they would take charge and turn things around on their own.

if pranjic and petric are going to be the highest paid players on the team ,then I expect more from them especially in big crucial games in Europe,either they can or they cant simple,im sure anastasiou will start them against brugge ,lets see if they can stand up and be counted.

there is a reason they were both finished at their previous clubs and were not even on the bench but in the stands.we love making karelis ,klonaridis and ajagun the scape goats but these highly paid croats get away with it,oh the whole team didn't play well.

if pranjic and petric are going to be the highest paid players on the team ,then I expect more from them especially in big crucial games in Europe,either they can or they cant simple,im sure anastasiou will start them against brugge ,lets see if they can stand up and be counted.

there is a reason they were both finished at their previous clubs and were not even on the bench but in the stands.we love making karelis ,klonaridis and ajagun the scape goats but these highly paid croats get away with it,oh the whole team didn't play well.

Yes they may have been the highest paid players from an average salary of what 200K? ( Excluding Kareli, Berg) With the same token your Totse something of a player should have done the same but you praised him instead

ok lets see where this love affair with petric and pranjic ends up both are 34 and a year older than last season lets see if they can contribute anything ,lets just hop the whole team plays well because if it doesn't its obvious the two elderly croats wont be able to do anything to change things up.

the problem with petric and pranjic is they are taking up spots that should be going to younger more capable players,in the beginning of last season karelis was on the bench so petric could play ,it was only through injuries to berg and petric that karelis got playing time and scored all those goals,if petric and berg were fit ,karelis would still be on the bench and he wouldn't have had the breakthrough season he did ,so we sacrifice a talented 22 yr old to play a 34 yr old ,does that make sence?

the same with pranjic in midfield.

I will be interested to see if karelis ,berg and petric are all fit who anastasiou will start.i could be wrong but I think anastasiou will bench karelis.

as for essien ,people think he is a bust because that first game looks like its a long time coming,we need to stop buying over the hill ,injured players in their 30s their is no future in it unless they are skilful playmakers who rely on brains and skill,rivaldo type players.

so far it has been youth that has got us out of trouble ,mavrias to Sutherland,kapinos to mainz that brought in money if these guys were on the bench so 30 + yr olds could play no one would know who they were.and we would of got nothing.

I don't see anyone knocking on the door to buy petric but a lot are interested in karelis another youngster who will bring in money.

the team has plenty of experience without petric and pranjic .

berg,zeka,tavla,wemmer,nano etc.

Tavla is too old should have kept Risvanis....

"The future is the younger players"

Age does not matter much when the players on the pitch produce.

Ask some very talented goalkeepers that are no #2 for many many years until they get a chance