Phantis Forums

Corruption In The Greek Sl

Accor6

28 May 2015 GMT: 22:10

Greek match-fixing crisis escalates with 41 now charged

Published on Thursday, 28 May 2015 16:13

Vangelis MarinakisBy Mark Baber

May 28 - The match-fixing crisis in Greek football rumbles on with a further six players facing additional charges (making a total of 41 players, managers and referees to date), with the owner of Olympiakos being questioned and the vice-president of the Central Refereeing Committee resigning.

Last week six players from Veroia were charged over a January 2013 game in which one player, Alexander Kalogeris, has admitted he was told by his manager as he entered the field of play that his team was to lose 3-0.

Meanwhile, Olympiakos owner and shipping magnate Vangelis Marinakis (pictured) turned up for preliminary questioning at an Athens Prosecutors Office on Wednesday regarding five criminal charges (of which he claims innocence) including the establishment of a criminal gang, match-fixing, fraud, bribery and perjury and to ask for details of the evidence against him

The vice-president of the Central Refereeing Committee, Christoforos Zografos, resigned on Wednesday following allegations, which he also denies, that he was involved in match fixing.

The governing Syriza party has pledged to tackle the corruption in Greek football, with the deputy sports minister Stavros Kontonis having told parliament: "The situation in Greek football and in sport in general has escaped beyond any control and intervention."

New legislation is being introduced and, importantly, the political will appears to be in place to tackle the problem. Despite initial worries, FIFA and UEFA appear happy with the stance of the current Greek government and its new legislation which has been amended to reflect their concerns over government interference.

The arrests of officials in Zurich on charges of corruption over recent days can be expected to weaken any resistance to pursuing the Greek investigations to their conclusion and prosecuting the individuals concerned.

Accor whats going on over here....

I've been busy with stuff so I haven't bene able to follow as closely as I would like

Doesn't look like things are moving too quick.... Bouxesa is still moving around the continent undisturbed... He's going to the CL final on Saturday.. He was just in Romania.... Olympiako do not seem worried...

Am I missing something???

I think some good news will come out of this...From my limited knowledge

He will pay a hefty fine so he doesn't go behind bars
He will denied any type of involvement with soccer
He will be denied leaving the country
He will go on a trial 

Here's some wishful thinking....

Is there an underlying reason why Olympiakos has been very slow to get their stuff in order?

Is there a reason why a lot of their players are on their way out?

Is there a reason why they are hesitant to make any major signings? (Ok they made a few signings w/ Giannotas and a few other young greek kids, but nothing wild)

Is there a reason why Perriera left?

Is there a reason why they still don't have a coach??

Could this all be tied to Olympiakos being brought down??

• Like it 1

Now you are talking...

The magic question is whether or not his ties with olympiakos will be pulled into this for match fixing and whether the club will get what they deserve

What I mentioned above has nothing to do with the max fixing vs Veroia but yes there is max fixing involved

Here's some wishful thinking....

Is there an underlying reason why Olympiakos has been very slow to get their stuff in order?

Is there a reason why a lot of their players are on their way out?

Is there a reason why they are hesitant to make any major signings? (Ok they made a few signings w/ Giannotas and a few other young greek kids, but nothing wild)

Is there a reason why Perriera left?

Is there a reason why they still don't have a coach??

Could this all be tied to Olympiakos being brought down??

:smartass: