Phantis Forums

EURO 2004 rights for USA

For us in the US, who want to see the Euroe 2004 games involving Greece, it appears that Setanta Sports who hold the rights to the games will make the games available on closed-circuit TV. They are working on an arrangement to show the games as Pay-per-View on DirecTV or Dishnetwork, but only form the Quarterfinal stage to the final. This means that we will have to go to local bars to see the games involving Greece.

From what they told me only games from the quartefinals to the final will be available on DirecTV and/or Dishnetwork. At least that's what they are negotiating for. The rest of the games will be available on closed-circuit TV.

They say that this is not final and that they are in negotiations, so maybe we can put some pressure on the to re-consider.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is a most welcome update for those of us in the US regarding EURO 2004. This info was taken from Setanta's website at

http://setanta.com/sport//Euro_2004.htm

I hope it's true.

Commercial Use: For commercial (non-residential) feeds you will need a C-band satellite dish and a Setanta decoder. If you are interested please e-mail Setanta Sport or call 415-546-1022.

Home Use: The Euro 2004 is available through local cable companies and through small dish providers. The price for the Euro 2004 for home use is $179.00 for the package of all the games or $19.95 for the first round $24.95 for the Quater Finals, Semi Finals and Final. For more info, check the links below.

the links are for InDemand, DirecTV, Dish Network, and TVN. I am assuming the $19.95 and $24.95 price tags are per game ppv'd.

That's good news. It appears they are in process of working out some deal.

I exchanged some emails with them yesterday asking about the same thing

(I told them there was a rumour that only quarterfinals and beyond would be available on PPV) and they told me not to worry and that they were in

negotiations with Dishnetwork and DirecTV for all the tournament. Let's see...

• 1 month later...

The latest news on the TV rights for the US is that DirecTV, as well as cable Pay-per-View (PPV) providers INDemand and TVN have agreed to carry all the Euro 2004 games live on PPV basis.

The only major provider that has NOT agreed to carry the event is Dishnetwork. Unfortunately for this is the provider that most Greeks in the US subscribe to due to the Greek channel package.

I think it might be a good idea to contact Dishnetwork, and let them know that we want Euro 2004 to be available on Dishnetwork.

There will be both a pre-game and a post game show available for the commercial feed that will not be shown on the residential feed. I e-mailed them about a month ago and they said about an extra half hour of coverage will be added for the the closed circuit feed which is not worth the 20 dollar admission the clubs will charge for admission.

if you have dishnetwork i know that u can order RTP for the portugal game for a day, also TVE Internacional for the spain game, as they will be carrying their nations games....

also they say setanta has rights but im sure Univision or the spanish channels will show the games too...

if you have dishnetwork i know that u can order RTP for the portugal game for a day, also TVE Internacional for the spain game, as they will be carrying their nations games....

also they say setanta has rights but im sure Univision or the spanish channels will show the games too...

It is not sure that RTpi and TVE Int. will show Euro 2004 games. We'll know for sure the closer we get to the competition.

As for Univison, they will definitively not show the games for sure. They did not show the Euro 2000 either. What might happen though is that either Univision or perhaps Fox Sports World or Gol TV will pick the games to show them after Euro 2004 is completed.

I called DishNetwork and asked them if they are planning tom show the Euro 2004 on Pay-Per-View. The lady told me that she sees nothing in the schedule yet but it is very possible to add it later...

Someone please tell me that they will add it.... Please!

Spiro, it's not on their schedule because they failed to buy the rigths from Setanta Sports. My guess is that Dishnetwork is trying to get a better deal. From what I understand, if Dishnetwork does not get the package by May, you can forget about seeing the games on Dishnetwork.

That's why it is important to contact Dishnetwork and request that they offer the games.

According to the soccertv email update of march 30, Fox Sports World will show Euro 2004 games, but on a 72 hour delay at minimum. This may be some sort of consolation for the DishNetwork subscribers who will at least now get a chance to see the games. The full portion of the email follows:

Euro 2004

---------

Setanta Sport holds exclusive US TV distribution rights in all languages. All 31 matches will be available via residential pay-per-view (DirecTV, iNDemand) and closed-circuit TV.

Residential pay-per-view will cost $19.95 per match ($24.95 for the final) or $179 for all matches.

Telecasts on FOX Sports World (US) will be delayed by a minimum of 72 hours.

All 31 matches will air in Canada on TSN and RDS.

Thats great news for me. There is no pub to show the games in Lexington and I was planning on traveling in other places to see the games of Greece. Now if they are available by PPV then I will definately see them. Is there any chance that they will have a packet or something like they do for NCAA or NFL games (you know something like 200-300$ for unlimited number of games)?

Vaggar,

DirecTV has a PPV package where you can order all the games for $ 179, or if you just want individual games they are $ 19.95 per game.

We are hoping that the same package is available on Dishnetwork, but I guess we might have to settle for the delayed broadcasts on Fox Sports World.

Guest zetterberg53

Coming Soon!

UEFA Euro 2004

DISH On Demand Pay-Per-View brings you one of the world’s most exciting soccer tournaments. Don’t miss a minute of the European Championship as France attempts to defend its position as Europe’s best.

June 12 – July 4

Pricing and packaging updates will be posted as soon as they are available. Please check back soon.

:tup: :tup: :D

Archived