Phantis Forums

Panathinaikos - Panseraikos

cyberfish

Sunday 4:45 GRT

Let's see if the team can have an easy afternoon against the tradition that calls for erratic results after big European games. It's hard to get anyone (including the fans) motivated to perform against small teams in the Greek league after tasting better competition.

Interesting for this game is that we had chosen it as Vintra's sit-out game for his 4 yellow cards, but with Sariegi's red in Xanthi we'll have two starting defenders out. Only Goumas and Spyropoulos will start from the regulars, and lo and behold, we don't have another CB or another RB :blink: Gabriel, Moon, and Nilsson are all injured.

The bad thing is that both Melissis and Siontis were so bad last game he played, no one feels comfortable with them in our backline. Most likely Melissis he will play as RB, and I hope he has a breakthrough game to help his confidence a little bit. Simao will probably play CB.

Another interesting fact that gives us a little insight into Ten Cate's thoughts about player depth is the fact that Christodoulopoulos and Sousa are eliminated from the 18-player squad for this game. What makes it interesting is that with all the injuries we can barely field 18 players. Leaving Christodoulopoulos out means a youngster like Pantidos or Samios will be in the 18, but not Lazaros. I wish our big signings had more impact, but I am glad HTC doesn't care about such things, and that some of the younger players will get some chances to be with the team. Maybe we'll see a surprise with Pantidos or Samios starting at RB instead of Melissis?

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think at -9 in the league, we cant afford to take games as given and play our youngsters. Its worth 3 points, like all the games, and if we take it slack on a 1-0 lead again or dont finish our chances, it could end up like all the other wasted games. At -9, you really shouldnt bother with the risk.

Let the 1st team in there, and at 2-0 2nd half bring in some youth then....

No reason to start Melissis/Petropoulos, we can win with them of ccourse, but Id rather be MORE certain, than Less certain when we can absoltuley not drop more points.

Developing youth is a nice side-project, but it's best for them to "really" compete for the spots. We won't be doing them any favors if they feel that they are "entitled" to starts. We need to stack the deck with good players and let them compete.

Back to the game, -7 is still a big difference, but a little more doable. As we saw today, if you read the newspapers, Olympiakos is a super team that's ubeatable. But if you actually watch the games you see how many problems they have and how it is possible they'll drop more than 7 points before we play them in the next round.

We need a big wing against Serres to start the next group of games with good momentum. Here is what comes after Serres:

@Ofi - AEK - @Panthrakikos - @Panthrakikos (cup) - Aris - Ergotelis - @Levadiakos - Paok - @Iraklis - Panionios - @CL16 - @Olympiakos - Larissa - CL16 - @Thrasivoulos - @Asteras - Xanthi - CL8 :P - @Serres - CL8 :P - OFI - CL4 :P :P :P

We should not drop any points from now on. The only games that I think a draw is not out of the ordinary are @Olympiakos and maybe @Asteras but every game from now on should be 3 points till the end. Let's do it PAO :tup:

No reason to start Melissis/Petropoulos, we can win with them of ccourse, but Id rather be MORE certain, than Less certain when we can absoltuley not drop more points.

Drako, we don't have anyone else besides Melissi or Petropoulo.

The only defenders eligable to play are Goumas, Spyropoulos, Melissis. That's it!

Simao will probably cover for Sariegi, and on the right if it's not Melissis it's a youngster. On offense, with Mantzios injured and Sousa in la-la land, it could be Roukavina or it could be Petropoulos. Both are good, and maybe both will play.

Here is who is available:

GK: Galinovic-Tzorvas

DF: Goumas-Spyropoulos- Melissis-Simao (no one else)

MF: Gilberto-Mattos-Tziollis

AM: Karagounis-Cleyton-Ninis-Ivan

FW: Roukavina-Petropoulos-Salpigidis

That's 16. Siontis maybe on the bench make it 17, then either Pantidos or Samios will round up the 18 man squad. It will be interesting to see the lineup.

What about Rukavina instead of Petropoulos, even Simao as a CB if were really so short on players and Mattos or Tziolis takes the midfield

Vyntra or Nilsson instead of Melissis? Howcome theyre ineligible?

If theres nobody else than theres no choice, but Petropoulos is definitly not first pick over Rukavina.

The projected lineup so far was:

... it could be Roukavina or it could be Petropoulos. Both are good, and maybe both will play...

yes. there are different players and I like both. I don't rate one that much higher than the other. I have no problem with either one.

I would be surprised to see either Gilberto or Karagouni play this one. I was reading somewhere that PAO has played 15 games in about 60 days. That's about 1 game per 4 days or so. That's a major cause for all the muscle injuries our players have been suffering. Resting a couple of players might protect them but we don't have the luxury of dropping points any more. I think a midfield with Tziolis-Mattos-Ninis-Cleyton-Ivanschitz should be able to take care of Serres.

The game started.

-----------------Galinovic--------------

Siontis--Goumas--Melissis--Spyropoulos

--------Tziolis---Simao---Gilberto-----

-----------------Karagounis------------

--------Salpigidis---Petropoulos--------

Bench: Tzorvas, Pandidos, Cleyton, Ninis, Ivanschtiz, Mattos, Roukavina

Archived