Phantis Forums

Winter 2009 transfers

cyberfish

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Reportedly, Panathinaikos earned about 24 million Euro from their Champions League journey so far.

This is the amount PAO paid last summer for transfers, so we can safely say that the investment was returned in a short six-month period.

But what I find interesting is that it was mostly the old players an not the new ones who were largelly responsible for this success. Besides Gilberto and Gabriel, the contributions of the rest of the summer signings has been spotty at best.

Christodoulopoulos, Roukavina, Cleyton, Moon, Melissis and Sousa have upgraded the bench, but they have offered very little sustained success so far. I am not talking about raw talent here, I am simply thinking of actual contributions in the season.

What I see is a good foundation is being put in place. I don't think the team carries much dead wood any more, so I don't think more than two transfers this January are necessary. I am worried that the little chemistry the team is building as of late might be upset with the addition of too many new faces.

Now with some more money in the bank, PAO can really concentrate on buying this one good CB they've been after since last May, and one more good CF to help, especially in the CL games. Of course, I won't be upset if we get another AM, but I won't be upset if we don't get one either.

Reportedly, Panathinaikos earned about 24 million Euro from their Champions League journey so far.

The pay off for progressing into the CL is handsome, but as PAO have done, getting out of the group means serious money which can be used to fund transfers, build grounds etc.

How bad would the finances be looking at Oly since missing out on CL football this year? Behind closed doors the people in charge would be almost depressed.

Im kind of over transfer rumours, as 99.9998% of them are total bull.

BUT

Today is a fun day in the papers at least concerning transfers, so I'll list out some names thrown and what cover they are on, theres practically a different name on every paper:

Goal News:

Alex (Internacional)

Bastos (Lille)

Jan Durica (Saturn) and Miranda (???) are big choices for CB (in the fine print of the cover)

SportDay:

Emir Spahic (Lokomotiv Moscow) is a CB, in talks with PAO

Exedra:

Lucas Barios (Colo Colo) is a big goalscorer in Chile (31 goals 29 games :o ) and PAO is offering 4.5 million for him

Derby:

Andres D'Alessandro (Wolfsburg)

Barientos (San Lorenzo?)

also mentions Spahic, Miranda and Bastos

Prasinh:

Alex (Internacional) again

I just hope we dont buy players based on eligibility for the CL. We need to buy players regardless of their eligibility, if we dont, we are going to pay for it, like we always do. Long term, not short term and quality, not CRAP like Souzas!

Ten Cate spelled out what transfers he asked for in his press conference today after the game against Panseraikos.

He said all the speculation about players coming and going are not true until he speaks. An indication that he has the last word on transfers.

He clearly said that he wants three players: one defender, one attacking midfielder that can score, and one forward.

He said he "would like an extra defender, because we see today we are short on defenders", He said he would like an "extra attacker", and he would like "a creative, goalscoring midfielder". "All three players left-footed". These are exact quotes, and when the interpreter translated in Greek that "I want one stopper" and Ten Cate interrupted him saying "no, no, I didn't say "stopper", I said "defender".

He should learn Greek! :LOL:

I agree with him, though it's not clear if he means an attacker or someone who plays behind the strikers but can score too.

I don't think we really need another forward. Salpi, Ruka, and Mantzios should do for now.

I would only like another striker if its someone who just scores goals...

Like a Kovacevic. A killer. Otherwise, Ruka, Mantzio, Petrogoal and salpi should do.

What i want is a D'allesandro in midfield... Someone who can kill you ...

I totally agree with you. Like I said before, Chelsea's Alex, Marc Janko who is a "Killer" striker from Salzburg, and D'Alessandro would be perfect. Then next season PAO could could add a right back and a left back and we can bring the CL trophy to Leoforo! :P :gr:

I like Nilsson and Moon on the right. We do need a back-up for Spyropoulos.

The coach said he wants three left-footed players. One defender, one AM who can score, and one "attacker". End of story. That's what we are getting. He was very particular about his words. He objected to having "defender" translated as "stopper" and he specifically said "attacker". Maybe he is thinking of a pure winger instead of a CF.

For my purposes, if HTC doesn't think Mantzios, Petropoulos, Roukavina are enough, he must know something. If he doesn't think Ivanschitz is enough on the left, then let's get another LM/W. Who cares who starts and who sits on the bench. I want to see a PAO I can get excited about.

No names for forwards have surfaced yet besides Durica, Sand, Makkay, Kalinic, Barrios. I hope we get a killer CF and a killer AM/LW, and a dominant CB.

Alex, D'Alessandro, Makaay would be sweet, but I am sure there are many other decent players out there. A few more weeks and we'll know.

we are close to Bastos from Lilli ''prasini'' says!!!! o bastos einai tromeros paixtis.. aristeropodaros, brazilian, good age (25), kai skorarei sinexeia me tin lille. Exei fovera stimena... exei valei goal from corner like 2-3 times!!! hope hes coming!

We're pretty deep as it is in midfield and I don't think we need any more players in that department. If he wants a mid who can score then maybe he should think about playing Ivan more often, instead of 3 defensive mids. And why only 1 defender? Are you kidding? We need at least 2-3!

as paroume 1 tora kai apo kalokairi vlepoume.... 10C wants 3 playes all left foot... ill say

CB: Alex (chelsea), Gallas (arsenal), Senderos (loan in Milan from arsenal)

AM: Bastos (lille), D'allesandro (internacional), Alex (fenerbahce)

CF: Lucas Barrios (colo-colo), Pantelic (Hertha), Makaay (feyenord)

You know who would be a terrific buy, Elano! He's left-footed and a real magician but wants to leave Man City. He's so perfect in fact that I'm shocked the Greek media hasn't even taken the liberty to lie about him moving to PAO! :P Alex of Internacional and D'Alessandro would also be great of course, but I'm not keen on Bastos. <_<

Btw, Chelsea's Alex today officially made a statement that he wants to leave in January! ;)

elano is awesome.. i know he wants to leave city but his price tag would be very hight.. too high for panathinaikos's liking...

maybe a loan move til end of season? pao should approach

7m for prajnic.? i honestly dont think he is worth it.

he will be a mistake.. although he has scored 10 out of 12 games for herenveen.. his overall record is poor.. especially for croatia.

prajnic no good in my opinion

why do all the centre backs linked to us have to be of sth american descent?

arent there any good ones in europe?

this is just bizarre to me bc in my opinion, europeans generally create better defenders than their sth american counterparts

Archived