Phantis Forums

Winter 2009 transfers

cyberfish

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

Yeah, really. At this point we need 2 - 3 solid defenders, I think. Its gotten ridiculous. We don't need Souza, we signed Gilberto for a silly amount of money and he hasn't made an impact. You know, they signed a name, not a talent. This happens in all fields. You can convince the masses that this individual or this group or whoever are something extroadinary and people will buy into it without using their own heads. So the "name" becomes expensive. Like "Eric Clapton" (one of the most overrated guitarists around).

Well, let's get real here.... Not all transfers work out. It happens everywhere, to the best of the best teams, with the best scouts, etc.

An active member of one of the best teams in the world is a good bet. It may not fit the team or whatever, but it doesn't bother me. That's why you need good people to make the right adjustments when it's necessary.

PAO cannot be a great team without solid defense. Every time we did well, we had a great defense.

PS>I think he's made a good impact, and adds maturity to the team, and it's good for other younger players to have an international star as a teammate.

I'ts official: Papadopoulos signed with Lecce. Good luck to him. He was a major contributor in our championship year and I hope he has something left in the tank. He just seemed burned out the last couple of years and the change will be good for him.

I too think that Gabriel has been good. He is not Saviola, but he plays the RW position almost perfectly for us so far, even though I would not be surprised to see the team in the market for a RW who specializes playing closer to the line.

<stumbles for glasses> ... Wait, I don't wear glasses. Time for the doctor, I guess!  :LOL:

BTW Clover, I think you are wrong. Richie Blackmore is not overrated.

Ritchie Blackmore? Nah he was great in Rainbow!
never cared for Ritchie Blackmore, but Rainbow is reuniting, with J.R Blackmore on guitar. the son.. I read that somewhere...

Back to topic.. let us spell it out again..

D-E-F-E-N-C-E !!!!!!

I am not sure where Richie stands in the pantheon of guitar players but I'll never forget the first time I listened to "Smoke on the Water".

Back on topic, I think we need more than defense. We'll probably get either another striker or another RW. As I was drinking my coffee this morning I went over the schedule to see how many games we have before we bring in a new CB. Well, assuming we buy someone and he reports the first day of January, we'll be playing at least until the game against AEK with those we have. That's 8 games in SL and CL. And after that, there are only 14 games left in the SL.

If we are waiting for new players to turn this ship around I think we'll be disappointed. There is definetly something wrong in the lockerroom. This whole incident with Goumas is surreal, but indicative of players who are not focused on team goals. BTW, with Goumas' punishment we are down another CB. Now we only have Sariegi, Vintra, Melissis, Simao, Gilberto. Somehow none of them instill any confidence in me. We might have to start playing with 4 DMs...

ERAsport said in the next few days we'll know what players Ten Cate wants to loan to other teams and we can expect surprises. They are talking about players who everyone thinks should have been starters but Ten Cate feels they need to get more games under their belt. They won't say names but it looks like Ninis, Roukavina, Petropoulos, Christodoulopoulos, Melissis, Siontis could be candidates.

PS: I said "could" so please don't start asking for Ten Cate's head over my speculation.

Ninis should never go to another team as a loan!

OK, since we won't ask for Tkate's head, what do you suggest as a substitute??!!! :P

I came home from work just a few minutes ago and probably I ain't thinking straight right now, but why would a club that wants to built a team buys expensive players only to lend them out???!!! :1eye:

paper headlines are saying GOIAN was offered to PAO.

Please, PAE, dont be idiots or cheapskates, for ONCE IN YOUR LIFE!

(Inter was loooking to buy this player over the summer, Goian is a big player for Steaua, CB, goalscoring and Romanian NT - he would be one of the best CB in the league if not the very best)

NO BRAZILIANS!!!!!!!!

Goyan would be a huge signing but we need to remember that Inter offered 5 mil in the summer and Steaua asked for ten. Metzelder is a world class player and only 27 - I can't see how he would relish playing in Greece. I do have a dream, though: Goyan (transfer) and Metzelder on loan with an option for the summer. And then I woke up. But I woke up as happy as the time I dreamed of Heidi Klum dancing naked on my desk. Or whas it Cameron Diaz? One of those. Or maybe it was Heidi (transfer) and Cameron on a loan.

PS: I 'm a Rory chap myself. Provided that we overlook the voice issue.

Wake up Titus! Wake up! :LOL:

10m fee for a CB is a lot of money, but if we want to instantly improve the team we have to pay the big bucks (as long as they don't come out of my acount :P )

I really think we need two CBs and one CF and I think we should be prepared to pay 15 to 20 million for the three, and to sign them to contracts between 1 and 2 million each.

Watching the games, it makes me sick to my stomach to see how tactically the defenders seem to be on the right area, but they are just unable to track or stop the opponents consistently. Sure this could happen with anyone at CB, but it has been happening way to often on our defense.

Not sure how many here remember, but I have written several times about my belief of what makes a great team: A dominating spine; one great (not merely good) player at GK - CB - CM - CF. If they dominate their area it's easier to win games. Right now I can only say we are strong at CM because of the number of players we have and because of their quality.

We need a GK who will not allow a score in more than 25% or 30% of the games he plays. Galinovic this season collects the ball from the net 60% of the time. That's brutal. I am excited about the prospect of Tzorvas at GK and I would like to see him play permanently as soon as possible, but with our defense, I think it's wise to keep him out to protect the kid. For the record, Galinovic is 33 and Tzorvas is 26, so we'll be seeing a lot of Tzorvas for at least a decade.

Like everyone who has seen this team play, I think our weakest spots are CB and CF. Mantzios has these brilliant games every five or so games, and then he goes back to being a CF who scores only 1 out of 4 games. Our CF should be averaging a score in 40% of the games. (Warzycha, Gekas, Salpigidis before this year, had these kinds of stats). We simply need to score more, and I want to see our CB to create a chance and score out of nowhere like all the big scorers. Right now the whole team seems to be working their behind off before finally someone scores. I know some might think we are set with Mantzios, and I like him a lot, but I think we can do better (unless he moves his stats up to that 40% range next month).

As for our CBs, I don't know what Antoniou was thinking. Ten Cate didn't have a clue in the summer and only went with what he saw against some easy teams we played, so he can be excused. Sure Pellerano screwed us up with his delay and switch tactic, but there was another month after he went to Almeira. I find it hard to believe that we could not find at least one CB to bring in. I am sure they'll make up in January but by then this season will be over (if it's not already over).

Archived