Phantis Forums

Zizis Vryzas Appreciation Thread

Euphoria

I think this is a necessary thread to have, seeing that he has just retired.

As some of you have probably noticed, I've always been a fan of him and his playing style. Although not a very prolific scorer, Vryzas' tenacious work ethic, his restless battles with the opposing defenders, his talent to create chances and open spaces for his attacking partners, in addition to his aerial ability and passing skills made him a valuable member of all the Clubs he played for, as well as the Greek National Team with which he won the European Championship in 2004. He was a notable member of the "first eleven" in Greece's victorious Euro 2004 team and scored a tremendous key-goal, a fine chip over the keeper, in the 2-1 loss to Russia, which sent Greece into the quarter-final.

But I've always felt as though he wasn't appreciated as much as he should be. He copped a lot of flak from posters on here for some of his performances, and the 'Rate Vryzas' perfomance at Euro 2004' thread didn't get a single reply :( . What upset me most is that when Vryzas was subbed for Paps in the Final, the Greeks in the crowd didn't even cheer. Charisteas wouldn't have scored that header if Vryzas had not blocked Ricardo off! Well here's something for all the Vryzas knockers... How many others in the Greek squad could pull this off? ;) Too bad Katsouranis' pass wasn't so accurate, it would have been a goal to remember.

VRYZAS RABONA

Thanks for all the memories Zizi and good luck with all your future ventures.

Posted Image

It's true that Otto hasn't really been able to properly replace him. None of our forwards can really hold up the ball like Vryza used to do. Although to be honest, I think by the time the Euro 2004 rolled around (which is when I and probably most others first noted this player), he was already on the downside of his career and this probably contributed to the fact that people don't appreciate him as much.

What a legend for us! He was magnificent during Euro 2004 and had a very good Serie A career too, and it's correct that we've never replaced him, and that's the reason I don't have faith for this coming tournament. He offered such an important element to the team.

Just thinking that I'll never see Vryzas, Zagorakis, Tsartas, etc, play again brings a tear to my eye. The joy they've given me (and i'm sure all of us) can't be overstated. I love these guys, not just for the glory, for the passion they showed.

Thank you Vryza, thank you! :gr: :gr: :gr:

• 4 weeks later...

Beautiful guy! Hero! Gigantic goal vs. Russia to put us through to knockouts: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7hy80kutAE

Glad I had a chance to see Vryzas, and Zago and Tsiartas (who I think set up the goal vs. Russia among others in that memorable Euro 4 years ago), and other legends who played their heart out for our NT, win or lose.

I am pessimistic about the coming Euro in at least one aspect of the game: the air. I doubt we will own the air the way we did with our giant forwards in '04. But now, we seem to use different weapons to make up for the losses of guys like Vryzas.

Still, Zisi, den tha se xehasoume pote!

These days of fat contracts, no loyalty, and corrupt/incompetent league, what remains is players like Zisis.

I ask this simple question: Is this player someone who makes the sport better or worse? Vryzas belongs in the category of those players that made a possitive difference.

Congrats on a nice career. With our best wishes and gratitude. :gr:

Archived