Phantis Forums

EURO 2008: Greece - Malta

jarvis1981

Btw, isn't anyone else disgusted by the turnout against Malta or is it just me?

Our NT just secured qualification to the European Championships to defend our title, and they did so by beating the old enemy in style, and all the Greeks could manage was a 40k turnout and a s%$#! atmosphere??? Ungrateful pricks!!! With s%$#! fans like that we don't deserve to win it again! Where's the patriotism re gamoto?!

I think that's a bit harsh DUDE. 40k isn't all too bad considering the bad weather and the fact it was against Malta. Let's face reality here, Greece won't fill OAKA unless we're hosting a tourney. This wasn't a "life-or-death" game against a quality opponent, it was a gimme against a minnow (who btw still managed to get two ridiculous chances against us). If EPO wants a stadium full (or close to it when it comes to OAKA), do the sensible thing: drop the prices on tickets! As for your comments about "atmosphere", again I have to disagree. To me, being patriotic doesn't mean lighting flares and yelling out m@laka every 5 seconds. Let people enjoy the game the way they want to enjoy it.

I think slowly but surely, the NT is gaining importance in Greece. A string of good appearances, which starts with Euro 2008 and continues with WC2010 qualifying, will go a long way in raising the NT's profile.

Yes, I agree with the ^ We are civilized Europeans, not South Americans. Also, we can't forget we are only 10,000,000 population, with roughly 3,000,000 in Athens. We can't have a packed Olympic stadium like Italy or France. Just the sheer numbers of their cities gaurantee more ticket sales. And lower ticket prices wouldn't hurt anyway. I don't think many Athenians are in a position to spend money on tickets. After all, who is going to pay for the bottles at the bouzoukia and night clubs, or the weekly vacations to the islands?? And half of the neolaia in Athens are waiting for their parents to die so they can inherent a house and live...they can't afford tickets :D (just kidding)

Man, I live in the US, what I wouldn't give to be at one of those matches!!! A part of me does agree with DUDE on this, they shold at least make an attempt; the half a filled stadium is a sorry sight

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've mentioned one thing and you guys are talking about another...

We've just qualified for Euro 2008 following a fantastic win against Turkey and a country of 11 million in a city of 5 million can't fill a 60k stadium? Are you guys seriously trying to justify that by saying it's ok because we played Malta? It wouldn't make a difference if we played Rwanda! Supporting your team before a major tournament should be a given!!!

As for the atmosphere, aek-mtl, who said anything about flares?

@as5664, what does atmosphere have to do with being uncivilised? Does being civilised mean that one should refrain from expressing emotion? Being civilised doesn't mean you have to repress yourself and your mediterranean culture/views because you happen to live in America or Britain.

The atmoshphere at Euro 2004 was fantastic, there were no flares or smoke bombs. BUT the chanting/singing was incessant. I suppose that you either have that passion or you don't, but even if you don't have it naturally, surely following such a great acheivement the fans could make an effort. We may never be European Champions again why not show our appreciation while we can?

@Aek66: The fact that the NT is the "step-child", shows how unpatriotic Greece has become. That may only seem like a normative hypothesis, but it highlights the divisions in Greece. People are more concerned with regional/political divisions than national unity. It's dumb!!!

Even if England had gone out after the Russia Israel game the stadium would have been packed to the rafters against Croatia. Now Scotland are out, I guarantee that their next game will still be packed, etc. There's no excuse, Greek fans are ungrateful pricks!!! That's proven by the fact that people call Haristeas "axristeas", etc. If Greece win it though, everyone will take to the streets and make out as if they loved and supported the players all along. <_<

F*** THEM ALL!!! I'LL ALWAYS CHANT IT LOUD AND PROUD...

HELLAS!!!!!!!!!!!!! :gr:

p.s. Jarvis I agree with you, the games should be at the Karaiskaki

Archived