Phantis Forums

EURO 2008: Greece - Malta

jarvis1981

1) dellas' many operations and chronic back problems are starting to really catch up to him. when dellas is able to play in a 2 centerback set, it's definately not the same dellas.

you do have a valid point here. i saw dellas against mantzios this saturday and dellas didnt look good. bearing in mind that mantzios is rather slow, i wondered how dellas would fare against say lua lua. ano kato was my predicition.

on the other hand dellas really did a good job against turkey. plus he is onthe LEADER of the team. so i am really between two chairs on this one. in any case regardless of how we may see it, dellas seems a fixture with otto selecting the starting 11.

so, we need to be thinking about who shall partner kyrgiakos. otto turns his head away from tavlaridi. ok, now...? goumas? antzas? kapsis? i don't like any as a starter. papastathopoulos? avraam papadopoulos? too young. ahhh...mr. giourkas. if you agree that dellas is on his last legs, then this begins the thought process.

dellas is definitely on his last legs but he may have another good tournament in store. i agree though that giourkas is a reasonable option in place of dellas. although antzas wouzld seem the more natural fit. against real though i wasnt too happy with his performance. i think goumas is another good option. i think you see, that i do have somewhat of a hard time sacrificing a right defender who is great by greek standards by putting giourkas into the cb spot.

2) ok...so, now...we lose a 'star' at right defender. now what? well, we've seen seitaridi disappoint match after match (offensively) in in the blue & white kit. in time, seitaridi may be moved anyways to the centerback position (ala kapsis) when he loses his pace. i'm just excellerating the process. well, greece have a dynamic player that is screaming to play on the right side. the reason i would not make the conservative switch and keep seitaridi at right fullback and torosidi as right midfielder, is because now we may delay putting a ninis, a kone, a christodoulopoulos at right midfield. i would not allow the same reason that spyropoulos isn't given a trial for the greek 11 to block ninis-kone-christodoulopoulos from getting a shot at the greek 11.

i we are thinking euor 2008, i disagree. if we think long term i would agree. bear in mind though that neither of the mentioned three is ready for a euro at the present time. kone isnt evwen starting with aek, ninis has just returned after injury and has yet to play a competitve game and lazaros...well...is lost in paok turmoil at the moment. of the three, ninis would be the only player with a minimal chance of making the euro squad and only IF he regains his form, fully recovers from injury and puts in a good season with pao. same goes for lagos.

yes, torosidi isn't the defender seitaridi is. yet, if torosidi is a bad/mediocre defender, then why is otto playing him as a left defender? otto is playing him now as a defender. in fact, torosidi may be a better defender playing on his correct side.

good point. you got me there...

as far as seitaridi at centerback, he's played there before. seitaridi lacks in offensive skills, but i'm sure he can work on his heading. it's not like seitaridi would play like an anatolaki.

agreed as well.

-----------------------------------------chalkias---------------------------------------------

---------------------------------------papastathopoulos-------------------------------------

------------------------------seitaridis-----------kyrgiakos---------------------------------

torosidis------------------------------------------------------------------------spyropoulos

---------------------------katsouranis---basinas---karagounis----------------------------

-----------------------------------gekas---------amanatidis--------------------------------

no worries. the current 5-3-2 fails offensively because of the offensive weakness of the fullbacks. in this 5-3-2, the 2 fullbacks have many times more offensive capabilities.

its a good lineup. i just have a hard time sacrificing giourkas who plays in one of the top leagues as a right back. if giourkas is injured i agree though that torosidis is def. the no.1 choice. i dont see patsa as our right defender. i believe patsa would do best if in def. midfield.

as far as mantzios, i don't think he is greece's answer for a left forward. he does have a cultured left foot, but mantzios is way too slow to play in the same position that amanatidi has played the past 2 matches. if lagos plays to his potential, he'll play there in the future.

of course not. thats what perplexed me with ottos nomination. mantzios can ONLY play centre forward. technically he ffers more than charisteas and gekas combined plus has a left foot BUT i dont see us ever playing with mantzios as our centre forward. he just isnt "as lethal" as the other strikers we have. given that otto needs versatile strikers that at times will have to play on the wings i am somewhat puzzled what he wants to do with mantzios as he clearly won t be able to play anywhere else except cf.

at the moment i would have the following demands to otto:

1. put spyropoulos on the left side.

2. have torosidis play in a position where he can actually contribute to our game. this may be right defender but could also include different midfield positions.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No, I meant in general, not the Malta match specifically. Seitaridis is injured anyway, so I think we should see Torosidis as right fullback. I don't know where the hell Goal.com got Vyntra from.

i would REALLY be surprised if otto uses torosidis as a right defender. i think the likely scenario is patsa or vyntra on the right and torosidis on the lft unfortunately.

aekrossoponti, thank you for correcting me for my mistake about the Lymbe goal, it was Tziolis in near Lymbe and not Vyntra. Obviously the new coach of Pao is rather good and has understood the limitations of Vyntra to use it in such a game. The latest mistake of Vyntra was, of course, during the latest game he played, when he gave away a silly penalty by lifting his leg so high (what a stupid thing to do!). So my opinion has not changed for Vyntra. He seems not to be clever enough for football at that high level, but I will give him the benefit of the doubt as footballers (like people) can improve.

Concerning the lineups, these are the latest news from sportfm that I've got for you:

Can anyone explain the Mantzios call up,Antzas is hurt,Dellas is a twist away from injury why not call up Papasthopoulos.We all know Mantzios wont play,why not call up the kid so he can get a taste of what its like. I

Do Vyntra,Kapsis and Goumas have problems scoring tickets so Otto keeps calling????

I believe Otto should not mix in the youthright now,score maximum pts to move us up in the FIFA rankings for the upcoming WC qualifiers.

I remeber that 2004 team was on a wicked roll before there opening game in Portugal.I believe Otto wants to start that right NOW, Norway tie and the Turkish win ,2 more victories vs Malta and Hungary would put morale at a high ..set up some a couple of tough friendlies and then a gimme friendly right before to get the boys rolling!

Lineup: Chalkias,Patsa Dellas Soto Torosidis,Basinas Katsouranis Karagounis,Samaras,Gekas,Amanatidis

Lybe in for the Forward who is not effective

Spiropoulos in for Basinas push Toro right slide Patsa R-Mid.

Good luck to the Boys

Impressive performance for Moldova who confirm a high note ending in this campaign with a definite improvement. The reward for them is an improvement in the Fifa and Uefa ranking for forthcoming qualification campaigns. The other good news is that they must have given a very hard time to the Hungarians, which is good for us, a good opportunity to kill them off next Wednesday and reach a triamphant 31 points in this group!

:gr: :gr: :gr:

Archived