Phantis Forums

ALTER GLOBE LAST DAY ON

Alter Globe last day on Dish Network is Aug 31 2007

Alter Globe is going to Directv on the first week of September is a done deal

MAD TV WORLD is coming to Directv also on the first week of September

There will be more Greek channels coming like STAR and RIK Sat and maybe more.

DKSat

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Alter Globe last day on Dish Network is Aug 31 2007

Alter Globe is going to Directv on the first week of September is a done deal

MAD TV WORLD is coming to Directv also on the first week of September

There will be more Greek channels coming like STAR and RIK Sat and maybe more.

DKSat

Finally some news! And I am most happy about MAD WORLD! :D :D :D :gr: :gr:

Only thing is that if you want to cut the Ant1 package and get JUST Ant1 and ERT, its only 2 dollars cheaper then Ant1 package with ERT. :unsure:

I got a question about MAD WORLD. Since it's coming to DirecTV, how will this affect BLUE on Dish? Blue is "powered by MAD". Will they still power them while competing? :1eye:

Also now reading the first post more carfuly, DKSat wrote that Alter is leaving Dish after today, and going in the first week of September to DirecTV. Does this mean Alter will be offline in North America for a couple of days? :blink:

I just got this in the mail today from DISH. It looks like they don't want to make the same mistake as last time. They are offering Setanta for free until Sept. 9 and sending a free DVD.:

CLICK ON IMAGE TO MAKE BIGGER

Posted Image

*EDIT:

I have put the image as a thumbnail instead since it was too big.

On a side note, isnt that Dalia from the MEGA show "Sto Para Pente" on the top left of the DISH letter? :ph34r:

I got a question about MAD WORLD. Since it's coming to DirecTV, how will this affect BLUE on Dish? Blue is "powered by MAD". Will they still power them while competing? :1eye:

As I said before Blue is a seperate channel to MAD World

Blue is owned and operated by the Ant1 Group MAD provide programming for Blue etc

MAD World is the official International network of MAD TV Greece which MAD own and operate and UBI have the Global rights for it which looks like the rights in North America have been resold to DirecTV

Blue is owned and operated by the Ant1 Group MAD provide programming for Blue etc

MAD World is the official International network of MAD TV Greece which MAD own and operate and UBI have the Global rights for it which looks like the rights in North America have been resold to DirecTV

Yeah I know its a separate channel, but Mad provides the programming for Blue.

Could MAD cut their programing from BLUE since they're competing with MAD WORLD on DirecTV? I mean what kind of contract do they have with Ant1/Blue?

Also, Dish just called my house with a computerized recording talking about Alter being cut and that they are "so sorry".

Yeah I know its a separate channel, but Mad provides the programming for Blue.

Could MAD cut their programing from BLUE since they're competing with MAD WORLD on DirecTV? I mean what kind of contract do they have with Ant1/Blue?

Also, Dish just called my house with a computerized recording talking about Alter being cut and that they are "so sorry".

It wont effect anything I'd say

Just there is 2 Music channels now to choose from

From 2 different companies

Blue is a copy of MAD and MAD World is the official network of MAD :)

There is no contract that makes Music Videos Exclusive to anyone...

Both channels may have the same music clips but to my understand BLUE is more aimed at younger people playing alot of pop etc. While MAD World is aimed for everyone greek young and old my yaya watches MAD during the day most of the time so that must say its good for all LOL :D :LOL: :LOL: :gr: :gr:

my yaya watches MAD during the day most of the time so that must say its good for all LOL :D :LOL: :LOL: :gr: :gr:

LOL :D

Ok though. I understand they are 2 different companies, and I understand they can show the same video clips, BUT right now MAD is letting BLUE use their video library for their channel. Now this is my question. Could MAD (in Greece) cut the usage of their video library to BLUE, to help out MAD WORLD (which is their company)?

Anyway, I'm prob. thinking too much of this. I know I plan to get MAD WORLD.

Also this is the line up now:

DISH:

ERT World

Ant1 Sat.

Ant1 Gold

Blue

Rythmos FM

Ant1 FM

SuperSport FM

DIRECTV:

Mega Cosmos

Alpha Sat.

Alter Globe

Mad World

2 Radio Stations (I think MAD RADIO and ALPHA RADIO)

Future:

Star

Rik Sat.

More (Skai? Kanali 10? Sigma? 4E?)

Grk101,

Nice list there, helps people know who carries what. One thing however, how do you know RIK Sat is coming to DirecTV, DKSat never metioned which company might be adding this channel?? It was mentioned before that Dish will be adding another channel, so possibly RIK Sat may go there, who knows?!

Also, I noticed 4E (Orthodox channel) on your list, that one IS coming to North America, there is a note on their website that says coming soon, no mentioned who will be carrying it however, they must still be negotiating transmission and carriage rights.

And then there were 2, now all Dishnet subs get is ERT World & ANT1 Sat- that must suck. ;)

4E TV (scroll to the bottom for info on N.America)

Grk101,

Nice list there, helps people know who carries what.  One thing however, how do you know RIK Sat is coming to DirecTV, DKSat never metioned which company might be adding this channel??  It was mentioned before that Dish will be adding another channel, so possibly RIK Sat may go there, who knows?!

Also, I noticed 4E (Orthodox channel) on your list, that one IS coming to North America, there is a note on their website that says coming soon, no mentioned who will be carrying it however, they must still be negotiating transmission and carriage rights.

And then there were 2, now all Dishnet subs get is ERT World & ANT1 Sat- that must suck. ;)

DKSat said in his first post that Alter is going to DirecTV and that MAD WORLD will be on DirecTV first week of September. Then he said "There will be more Greek channels coming like STAR and RIK Sat and maybe more." talking about DirectTV, since the whole post is about that (Atleast thats how I saw it). About 4E, and the others, I just looked at whats available in Australia and put it in the list with a ? next to them. I guess I should have put it under a separate section. :not:

Honestly, it sort of looks like the situation in Australia. And I have said this before. With all the channels ending up on UBI (DirecTV) and only Ant1 on a separate platform (DISH). It will be interesting to see what channels DISH can persuade to come, if any.

*EDIT: Oh and SKAI I put in there too. Currently they have no satellite channel, but from what I have seen in Greece, they seem ambitious and a strong contender. Maybe this channel wont come soon, but I can see it coming with some time.

Yep SKAI is gaining ground in Greece and should be International soon enough I reckon still a young channel and has alot of growing still to do :) :gr: :gr:

I would love to get SKAI there news programmes look very good :)

The way I see it MAD World is looked after by UBI and so is RIK and a few other greek channels globally... so not hard to figure out that it will end up on DirecTV :gr: :gr: :gr:

Grk101,

Nice list there, helps people know who carries what. One thing however, how do you know RIK Sat is coming to DirecTV, DKSat never metioned which company might be adding this channel?? It was mentioned before that Dish will be adding another channel, so possibly RIK Sat may go there, who knows?!

It's a shame to see another channel leave Dish

However,as long as ANT Sat and ERT World have the Greek soccer games....Dish will continue to be viable

Both channels have news programs.ERT World has the soccer highlight show every Sunday afternoon

How many Greek variety shows can you see before you start pulling your hair?

How many subs with Greek programming does DIRECTV have?

The only show worth watching on ALTER Globe was Fos Sto Tunnel on Friday

However,as long as ANT Sat and ERT World have the Greek soccer games....Dish will continue to be viable

Both channels have news programs.ERT World has the soccer highlight show every Sunday afternoon

Dish is one channel away from not being viable, however. If they lose ERT in some close or distant future, that's the end of the game. I also find their excuse ridiculous about ALTER's financial demands. Pass on the cost to the consumer and then let them decide if they want it or not, if that is really the reason (it's not).

The Directv package sounds more and more promising. However, that gigantic 36" dish is ridiculous, and a good reason why I am still sticking to Dish network--for convenience more than anything else. I imagine that is why many viewers (especially of older age) will stick with it too.

Globestar has finally updated their page to representing MEGA alone, and Dish has taken ALTER and the ANT1+2 package out. Which reminds me, in their letter they presented as one of the benefits of ALTER leaving that I will now pay less for the ANT+ERT package. If that is the goal, which not cancel Dish altogether and have some real savings each month? :LOL:

Globestar has finally updated their page to representing MEGA alone, and Dish has taken ALTER and the ANT1+2 package out. Which reminds me, in their letter they presented as one of the benefits of ALTER leaving that I will now pay less for the ANT+ERT package. If that is the goal, which not cancel Dish altogether and have some real savings each month?  :LOL:

So they are officially not with Globestar anymore? It looks like the new company it is with saw trouble with Dish too.

I also see that they took out reference to that Music channel.

For most users of this forum, yes Sports is the biggest priority on a Greek channel. But there are alot of subscribers that dont care about sports, and care about soap operas, game shows, gossip shows, ect.

On Alter, I know that trash TV show hosted by Anita has a significant following in Greece, especially with the songs on it now. :1eye:

*EDIT: BTW, when does Alter Globe go on DirecTV? Any date for MAD WORLD too?

On Alter, I know that trash TV show hosted by Anita has a significant following in Greece, especially with the songs on it now. :1eye:

I know this can differ for those living in other countries, but for those living in the US, entertainment in the form of scripted TV (dramas, comedies) doesn't come any better than what US networks (broadcast and cable) produce. So, I think nostalgia more than actual entertainment is the reason people watch such programs on Greek networks.

As for Annita's homateri and her garbage, no comment. :rolleyes:

Dish is one channel away from not being viable, however. If they lose ERT in some close or distant future, that's the end of the game. I also find their excuse ridiculous about ALTER's financial demands. Pass on the cost to the consumer and then let them decide if they want it or not, if that is really the reason (it's not).

The Directv package sounds more and more promising. However, that gigantic 36" dish is ridiculous, and a good reason why I am still sticking to Dish network--for convenience more than anything else. I imagine that is why many viewers (especially of older age) will stick with it too.

Globestar has finally updated their page to representing MEGA alone, and Dish has taken ALTER and the ANT1+2 package out. Which reminds me, in their letter they presented as one of the benefits of ALTER leaving that I will now pay less for the ANT+ERT package. If that is the goal, which not cancel Dish altogether and have some real savings each month? :LOL:

We used to have DIRECTV and then we cancelled it for Dish and the Greek programming.Now the Greek programming is back on DIRECTV.That's frustrating.They bounce around from one dish to another with no care for the customer.The DIRECTV box and dish are still in place.All they would have to do is swap the dish and receiver :unsure:

As when Mega left Dish, here's the bottom line. The majority of us on this site will not cancel Dish Network, because their channels are the only ones that have the Super League games. If it was our moms posting on these forums, then they would all switch to Direct TV in order to watch their corny Greek soap opera shows. Most guys end up watching news and sports; therefore they will continue to subscribe to Dish Network.

As when Mega left Dish, here's the bottom line. The majority of us on this site will not cancel Dish Network, because their channels are the only ones that have the Super League games. If  it was our moms posting on these forums, then they would all switch to Direct TV in order to watch their corny Greek soap opera shows. Most guys end up watching news and sports; therefore they will continue to subscribe to Dish Network.

Exactly. Which is what Dish sees too (sports on Ant1 and ERT). In the letter they sent out they made it clear about upcoming soccer games, gave Setanta for free until Sept. 9, and they are sending a Free DVD of Euro 2004. All sports.

But if they lose ERT too, I think it will be tough.

When is Alter Globe going on DirecTV?

As when Mega left Dish, here's the bottom line. The majority of us on this site will not cancel Dish Network, because their channels are the only ones that have the Super League games. If  it was our moms posting on these forums, then they would all switch to Direct TV in order to watch their corny Greek soap opera shows. Most guys end up watching news and sports; therefore they will continue to subscribe to Dish Network.

You say the majority of those on this site will not cancel Dish Network, BUT how many subscribers out of the total in the U.S. do the people on these forums make up?? I would assume not very many, but that will be seen if the sub numbers from DirecTV become known. Not trying to argue or anything just making a point that there are probably lots of other subs who aren't members of these forums or whose decision on switching or not doesn't revolve around who has soccer. To each his own I guess, in the end however every one suffers because the channels are now split between two providers. At least you guys actually 'have' the channels, us canucks up here don't get much of anything. Oh well tis life I guess?! :(

Now I think we know why ANT1 went after all the soccer matches, acquiring the rights to as many teams as it could... to keep as many people on dish as possible. What if Alpha or even MEGA were looking at adding soccer to their lineups in a bid to attract subscribers, I bet most people would have jumped ship to DirecTV. Smart move by ANT1 to snatch these up before anyone else had the chance, I'll give them that even though I don't really care for their programming that much.

One question for you Grk101, what if ERT World bolts for DirecTV next, what then of your theory about staying with Dish because it has the Super league?? I guess OLY, PAO & Xanthi fans will say good-bye and the rest will stay all alone with ANT1 and their clone channels :LOL:

One question for you Grk101, what if ERT World bolts for DirecTV next, what then of your theory about staying with Dish because it has the Super league??  I guess OLY, PAO & Xanthi fans will say good-bye and the rest will stay all alone with ANT1 and their clone channels  :LOL:

I already have DirecTV since Mega switched over. I have both. I was just saying that it is a good point about the sports with the people on this forum and that I think that is how Dish sees it too now. But for those who like shows and variety other than sports and news, DirecTV is the way to go IMO.

Personally, I watch more TV shows on the Greek channels then I do sports.

I am hoping for ERT to go over to DirecTV so I can cut the Ant1 Package on Dish, and leave Ant1 only on A la carte for 15 dollars. Now if I wanted to get ERT and Ant1 A la carte (with out Ant1 clones) it would be 30 dollars. With the Ant1 clones together 33 dollars. :blink:

Which is weird when you think about it, because Ant1 alone costs 15, and with the clones it costs 23. 8 dollars more. But yet with Ant1 package + 1 (ERT) the clones are only 3 dollars more instead of 8. Weird pricing they got going on.....:box:

Confusing, I know. :D :P

Also now reading the first post more carfuly, DKSat wrote that Alter is leaving Dish after today, and going in the first week of September to DirecTV.  Does this mean Alter will be offline in North America for a couple of days?  :blink:

Well, you got your answer now since they've been off the air since the afternoon of the 31st. Sure must suck to have been one of those that paid to have their ad running in the US. :D

Was there any earthly reason why ALTER couldn't have timed this so that their directv uplink was up and running as soon as they switched off from DISH?

Archived