Phantis Forums

Nioplias a possible replacement for Otto?

AEK-MTL

I have to say I think Nioplas really did a great job with the U19 team (regardless of whether they win or lose on Tuesday) and I'd be interested to see whether he could carry on that experience to the senior side.

We all know that Otto will be around till Euro 2008 but after that? Many here have said they want Otto gone but realistically, could we really find another coach with his pedigree to come to Greece? Doubtful.

Nioplas was at WC 94; he knows the drill when it comes to the NT. I'd suggest that he might just be the guy we're looking for to lead the next generation of Greeks (ex: Ninis) into the NT. One of the main complaints against Otto was that he keeps going with the old faces and barely gives a chance to the younger guys. I doubt you'd have that problem with Nioplas.

I realize that ideally, most would want a foreign coach with winning experience at the club level that can bring that organization and attitude to the NT but these types of coaches are a) expensive, b ) hard to come by, and c) not all that likely to come to Greece.

So what do you guys think? Would Nioplias make a good choice or is he too inexperienced?

OOOOOOHHHHHH!

I Like the idea (as far as a change) but I have to agree w/ most of the responses in the fact that it mnight be a bit early. As of right now our boys are making a great run the finals, and once they actually lift the cup maybe then we can look at this a bit closer.

I'm split 50/50 on this

I guess the logical path would be to promote Nioplas to U'21 and see how he carries on with that team. This would mean that we'd need someone else to replace Otto after 2008 (I am assuming that he will indeed leave once the tournament is done). Maybe we should try prying Hiddink away from Russia so that he could get us to WC2010 :P , because I highly doubt that we'll get so lucky with the WC group as we did with the Euro qualifiers.

I guess the idea of Nioplas as NT coach appealed to me because he seems like a true leader and is above all else, GREEK; which would eliminate the language barrier.

Nioplias has to prove himself. Otto has achieved a lot in his career before becoming coach for Greece, so should Nioplias. He has a long way to go. Otto is much much better at the moment.

I think Topalidis would be a better replacement, at least for the first couple of years after Otto leaves us. Topalidis is the natural continuation, knows all he needs from the successes with the NT and the EURO2004 campaign and beyond. He has a lot of valuable experience. He is the first ideal replacement. After that we can discuss Nioplias again (in a few years time)

Archived