Phantis Forums

EURO 2008: Malta - Greece

Ziaka

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Another average Greek team...

It's going to be an uphill battle ALL THE WAY

You are been very hard on them!!! Give them a brake they played allot better today!!!
they did because:

1. Rehagel put players that should be playing years now in

2. It was MALTA

Rehagel will use this result with these players to calm people down and put in the same pensioner clowns next game. Weve seen this before.

with the current point system, a draw is like a loss for both teams ..... :tup:

yes, a draw is very good and congratulations again to Turkey for coming back from 0-2 down.

what did you thing of today's substitutions from Otto? I believe two out of the three were very very bad....

You are been very hard on them!!! Give them a brake they played allot better today!!!
they did because:

2. It was MALTA

Rehagel will use this result with these players to calm people down and put in the same pensioner clowns next game. Weve seen this before.

What difference is it that it was Malta? They put up a solid fight...some of these small teams have proven themselves this year...look at all the top teams in 2nd and 3rd place!

YOU ARE WAY, WAY, TOO CRITICAL....OUR PERFORMANCE TODAY WAS EXCELLENT..MALTA PLAYED A GOOD GAME!!

Guys really Norway is not a good team .... they play with 10 men in the defense

the only player in front is Carew ...

They had two lucky goals cause of a defense mistakes but they are also for the future not a favorite Team.

I believe that Hungary and Bosnia are better than Norway.

If the lesson from the game with Turkey helps us not repeat the same mistakes again and improve drastically in finishing off our scoring opportunities we will be one of the two going to Germany from our group. :gr: Nice performance today and dominating in an away game plus 2 games in 5 days,not easy but we were playing against Malta and we should have scored more.

The amazing thing about this week is that we are in way better shape for qualifying than we were going into it - I think this group is done Turkey and Greece will qualify, I wasn't so sure of that 4 days ago.

Overall good result -the one thing that I take from the game is that Samaras is by FAR our best scoring threat - the others that everyone had called for- Gekas and Salpigidis- could not score against Malta - results speak

They have 20+ apearances now combined for the Ethniki and have scored as many goals as my Yiayia did in her career with Greece

And since I am sure they don not make keftethes like my yiayia did -they do not serve any purpose so there can be no complaining when Samaras - Charisteas pair up in June vs Hungary

I have been hard on Kara - today he showed quality - bravo

Interesting to see the captain armband on Basinas

they did because:

2. It was MALTA

What difference is it that it was Malta? They put up a solid fight...some of these small teams have proven themselves this year...look at all the top teams in 2nd and 3rd place!

YOU ARE WAY, WAY, TOO CRITICAL....OUR PERFORMANCE TODAY WAS EXCELLENT..MALTA PLAYED A GOOD GAME!!

how well were greece playing before the red card and the penalty?

the players were doing ok, nothing special (this is malta we are talking about) but the tactics were crap and what about playing 5 defenders and 1 of them being kapsis?

OTTO HAS TO GO

I have the blue one too...I hate the white ones!

I have to agree with the above post about his gia gia scoring more goals than Gekas :LOL:

Well, I've never seen Salpingidis play for the NT, he had some trouble; he got robbed with that yellow card though.

As for Gekas, you have a point, he's been capped so many times and not a single goal! It's a tough call though, he is top scorer in Bundesliga...

Gekas I guess is kind of like that Looney Tune's frog that sings and dances only when no one is looking!

Lymberopoulos I think is good for his age...I don't know how he missed that goal..the game should have been 5-0 with all the solid chances we missed

Having seen the game today I'd have to agree somewhat with Drakos. If this wasn't Norway we wouldnt have won! Solid at the back, worked hard up front but the midfield were not good when on the ball. The most basic but important thing in football is passing and moving! Your team has the ball, a player goes into space to receive, then another player does the same. It's all about creating angles. We get the ball and no one is in space! We are so negative on the ball and Katsouranis was the worst at that today!

Halkias: 6: Can't give him more because he didnt have anything to do.

Vintra: 7: Was up and down all day and put in some great crosses. But his passing was naive. He had chances to pass inside but instead went for a cor

Dellas: 7: Generally solid.

Kyriakos: 8: A beast as ever.

Kapsis: 7: Had little to do but was solid when called on. We looked solid with him to compliment Dellas and Kyriakos.

Torosidis: 7: Made a couple of mistakes but offered alot going forward and when you consider he played on the left he was great. He's earned that position.

Basinas: 7: Was a real calming influence and cut out any danger early. He never lost the ball either.

Katsouranis: 5: Poor positioning, poor movement and always looked for the long ball. If he doesnt improve his game he should be dropped.

Karagounis: 6: Worked hard as ever but his positioning wasn't great.

Salpingidis: 7: Worked hard and was great at shutting them down and winning the ball in dangerous areas. He got little service though, except for long balls.

Gekas: 6: Not a great performance. He was playing centrally and didnt do enough to claim the spot. He didnt get great service though.

SUBS:

Lybe: 5: Missed a sitter and his movement wasn't very good either.

Anatolakis and Samaras had no time on to warrant a grade.

As for the rest of the group. Its good for us that the game finished as a draw but did anyone see how lucky Turkey were??? We though Nikopolidi was bad, an under 14's keeper would have saved both of these tonight! We're in a good position to qualify but I'm not so sure we'll be able to break teams down. I really want to see Salpi and Samara play together possibly with Gekas in a front 3. We should really arrange some friendlies to try things.

yea we played great against a 10 man malta but not an 11 man malta and thanks to a penalty we won

i wonder if you saw a list of the club teams that the maltese players play for if you'd recognize any of the teams names

it was a bunch of pros vs a bunch of amateurs, semi-pros at best with 10 men and u think we played great with a 1 nil win

It doesn't make a difference what clubs they play for; it is the performance on the pitch that matters! I think Malta put on a good performance, at least defensively. Keep in mind that this is the FIRST time we have beaten Malta!

Look at the other groups, all the "bad" teams are in first and second place! Azerbaijan beat Finland! Soccer is unpredictable!

I think today's performance was excellent, just some bad luck on goals. Bottom line, today was about rebuilding their confidence and maintaining a good position in the group...I think we are going to have good results in the future.

Archived