Phantis Forums

ODYSSEY 2 OFFICIALLY NAMED ERT SAT IN CANADA

Hi Ziaka,

I am new to these forums.  In Canada, Odyssey 2 has been officially renamed ERT SAT (Odyssey 2 does not exist anymore). If you could change your TV listings that would be great.

Thanks in advance.

Just a minute,

What proof do you have of this, their website? Do you have official confirmation from someone at Odyssey TV? If you are going by their website then that does not apply and in fact it may soon be changed back to OTN2.

I have mentioned this before but the reason its now called ERT SAT is because in the license it states that programming should be from Mega Cosmos. But since Odyssey lost the rights (if they had them in the first place) for Mega they were forced into changing the name. You can't call it OTN2 because OTN2 is supposed to show programming from Mega. Not sure why they locked themselves into that, they should instead have just given a vague description not say that programming will come from one specific source. In any event they have finally filed an amendment with the CRTC to change this, a decision is still pending. I suspect once this is approved then they will change the name back to OTN2. If you notice on their site there are still spots that say OTN2 (left hand side that mentions schedules, it lists OTN1 & OTN2)

Here is a link to another thread I started about the license amendment issue:

Odyssey TV License Amendment

My source was from Rogers. You can confirm this at www.rogers.com.

As to the Odyssey website, it hasn't been updated for 6 months.

It has been like this ever since Odyssey added ERT Sat, not sure why you just noticed it now?! In any event, it should be changed back once the amendments are approved, in my mind anyway. Time will tell.

They can call it whatever they want, it is still not the 'Real' ERT Sat, just a CDN clone like so many other channels here. :tdown:

I mentioned it now because I just joined the forums. My on screen guide calls it ERT Sat and it looks untouched to me. What is the "REAL" ERT Sat?

Sorry, don't mean to sound harsh its just I am not particularly fond of the people who own Odyssey (their channels are crappy) and I am also peeved at the stupid CRTC and their rules which prevent people in this country from viewing the channels they want, in this case Greek channels DIRECT from Greece not through a Canadian channel.

The 'ERT Sat' you are referring to is a Canadian service, it has a certain percentage of CDN content and as a result some programming is taken out to make room for the local content. The REAL ERT Sat is direct from Greece.

The programme of ERT-SAT in Canada is not exactly the same as the one in the US.

The US one is directly as sent by ERT-SAT from Greece, while in Canada, due

to some (stupid) CRTC regulations, there has to be some Canadian content.

So those who bring ERT-SAT to Canada, at certain times a day, they stop the

regular ERT-SAT program and show something of their own.

For example, during the Spring and until about early June, at 11 a.m. EST (i.e.

6 p.m. in Greece), the afternoon news was supposed to run for about 30-40 minutes.

But those who bring ERT-SAT to Canada, showed only about 10 or 15 minutes,

then stopped the programme, and a funny guy with a moustache showed up,

talking about Canadian news of two days before, making some (stupid) comments,

then showing Greek sports news from the day before.

I could not help but shut the TV off once that guy showed up.

But recently (during the summer), this guy does not come up.

I don't know what happened and I am worried :-)

I hope at some point we will free ourselves from this bad "Canadian" programming,

which is a shame for Canada.

The Canadian content is on Odyssey. The programming on ERT Sat (in Canada)appears to be the same as the programming given on ERT's website. Anyway, my original post was as to the name of the station and not to the programming. It is not called Odyssey 2 anymore.

• 1 month later...

The correct name is 'ERT SAT Canada' and for the 100th time it DOES have CDN content on it so its not the same as ERT SAT in the U.S. which is direct from Greece. It seems the local stuff is on in the early hours of the morning, maybe you are not awake to watch it but its there.

Also, the license amendments I referred to in an earlier post have been approved by the CRTC so it remains to be seen if the name remains ERT SAT Canada or if they change it back to OTN2??

One final note on the subject, the distribution rights for ERT SAT are up for grabs so depending on who gets them this channel may not be available through Odyssey TV anymore. There are other companies who have gotten licenses to launch Greek channels in Canada and if they enter the game (to secure a programming deal with whomever gets the rights for ERT SAT) then they could launch a channel with programing from ERT SAT. Just speculation for now but its possible that a change may happen.

Oh and I think Ziaka has the listing correct- Odyssey 2- ERT SAT, should stay as is IMO.

Archived