Phantis Forums

Bitter Portugal Fans!

plato-ny

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

this looked nothing like a friendly taunt evergreen...of course i could laugh at that but this realy is a dumb act of bitterness... i have a sense of humor and that banner just isnt funny in any friendly intended way... when you have things like "go home" its a heavy indicator this isnt really just a friendly tease...

and to add to that so did the Czechoslovakia who had won the '76 euro tourney and did not qualify for the world cup '78.

I have another one.Italy did not qualify for Euro 84 after winning the World Cup :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

I want to ask all of you a question, quite away from the topic here though...

Why all you guys hate Cristiano Ronaldo??  ;)

I hate him because he did a Car Advertisement without having a driving licence :ph34r:

Just kidding.I dont hate him,but I am not sure that he is the player that he thinks he is.He must wake up and return to reality.He is a mediocre Portuguese player.I think that the Portuguese are searching the succesor of Figo but he is far enough from his value

Just kidding.I dont hate him,but I am not sure that he is the player that he thinks he is.He must wake up and return to reality.He is a mediocre Portuguese player.I think that the Portuguese are searching the succesor of Figo but he is far enough from his value

Personally - I think he is overrated - he caused the Basinas goal and also booted out the ball to cause the corner that led to the final goal- but then they considered the tourney his coming out party????

Plus sitting in the middle o fthe field with a gioant earing crying your eyes out - makes you a bit of a m#$%! :gr:

Personally - I think he is overrated - he caused the Basinas goal and also booted out the ball to cause the corner that led to the final goal- but then they considered the tourney his coming out party????

Plus sitting in the middle o fthe field with a gioant earing crying your eyes out - makes you a bit of a m#$%! :gr:

True!!!

Its not the first time a Eurochamp did not qualify for the WC. But, still, those unqualifying eurochamps remain champs. The English still talk about winnning the WC and that was 40 years ago.!!! Italy, who won 1982 WC, were criticized and disrespected. The Germans, who lost to Italy in the 1982 WC final, made fun of Italy for not qualifiyng for Euro 1984. Heck, they won one game in the division (against Cyprus at home!!!) But, even though Germany was in Euro 1984 and Italy wasnt, Italy had screwed them 2 years earlier and Germany walked away from Euro 1984 empty-handed. The Germans looked stupid after that and were thinking like the Portuguese now.

Portuguese call us a joke. If Greece is the joke, then Portugal is its punchline for obvious reasons. The Portugal fans should find better things to do than to be bitter about Euro 2004 and watch the WC where they'll walk away empty-handed.

mate, history is history, winners are winners.. noone criticises that... but...

after seeing the Polish, Brazilian and French sides of 82, it has to be said that the final between W Germany v Italy was a REAL DISGRACE... and that final and that Italian win is the reason for ever-rising defensive football...

mate think of it...

Socrates, Eder, Zico or Cabrini, Tardelli, Schirea..??

a neutral would surely pick up the first trio because they were creative and the others were butchers...

it's not the same thing for Greece of course but a midfield of Ronaldo, Figo and Deco is much more attractive than Zagorakis, Karagkounis and Giannakopoulos... accept it!! ;)

after seeing the Polish, Brazilian and French sides of 82, it has to be said that the final between W Germany v Italy was a REAL DISGRACE... and that final and that Italian win is the reason for ever-rising defensive football...

mate think of it...

turk, subject here is portgal v grece and the baner but you still somehow bring your hatred for Italy and Italian footbal to the fore..

BRAVO!!! :blink: :huh: :angry:

mate think of it...

a neutral would surely pick up the first trio because they were creative and the others were butchers...

it's not the same thing for Greece of course but a midfield of Ronaldo, Figo and Deco is much more attractive than Zagorakis, Karagkounis and Giannakopoulos... accept it!!  ;)

Each entity fights according to the attributes they have, as the old Greek adage goes "o kathenas polema me ta opla tou!". Defending is an art as well as attacking, if a team is masterful at a defensive strategy it is the job of the offence to break them down. Not just in football but any sport, look at boxing for example. Lewis KO'd Tyson by wearing him down with a powerful jab, he didn't go toe-to-toe because that would be fighting to Tysons strengths. Thus its Tysons job to find a way around the jab. Defending is our weapon and it was more potent than anyone elses in Europe in 2004. You're just jealous because Turkey has no weapons, hence the fans frustrations when teams like Latvia and Switzerland expose you.

Every Greek lived a sporting dream in 2004! It is something that neither you nor anyone else can take away. (Edited by moderator. Don't go asking to get booted Ethnikistis). So enjoy the occassional win here and there and the draws against Azerbaijan and Estonia because its the best its going to get for you!!! :LOL:

:gr: :gr: :gr: :gr: :gr: :gr:

Well defensive football is often considered by people as ugly and unattractive, but when its well done like eg T&T display against england, its quite the spectacle atleast in my piont of view. To play well defensively is exactly the same as playing well offensively. In both ends of the field players can be creative, players aren't limited to doing amazing and smart things only with the ball, they can do it without it aswell. The only time defensive football is ugly and when its done by team like Argentina who don't know how to defend properly and therefore must play dirty in order to impeed their opponents from making progression down the field. Argentina is still very much like that (just watch how they cover players and all the pulling of players's jerseys), they played like that even with Maradonna back in 90 WC final. The other aspect that is ugly in football is diving and foul play, when guys like Totti spit at opposing players is very disgraceful to the beautiful game. A good enjoyable game is one played by professionals and with sportsmanship, something Turkey has been lacking of in some indivuals and staff... thier play-off games for the WC and Euro 04, their game against England and at the world cup with Rivaldo's shananigans and that turk blasting the ball at him. It seems that almost every other game a turkish player gets sent off. To me this is a disgrace and FIFA think so aswell, Turkey really did get off lightly with their punishment for euro 08 and if they're banned from the 2010 WC, which should be the case, it would be for those exact reasons.

mate think of it...

it's not the same thing for Greece of course but a midfield of Ronaldo, Figo and Deco is much more attractive than Zagorakis, Karagkounis and Giannakopoulos... accept it!! ;)

TEAMS win championships, not superstars. The whole is greater than the sum of its parts, not the other way around. Those Portugal players are stars but 25 Greek non-star players 2 years ago won the gold. Five greeks were chosen into the 25-man Euro all-star roster. More than any other team. Rehhagel outsmarted Scolari, Bruckner, and Sabatini.

As for Portugal playing attractive football and not Greece, WINNING is the cake. Everything else is icing. If you take away the icing, the cake is still there. If you take away the cake, only icing is left and you're left with less.

I'd rather win ugly than lose pretty. Portugal's pretty football scored only one extra goal than Greece. Some people think it is more important to play attractive, regardless of the outcome, rather than win, which is the ultimate goal.

My reference to WC 1982 was not about playing defensive football. My point was that Germans, who lost to Italy in the WC 1982, were laughing at Italy for not qualfying for Euro 1984. After it was over, Italy laughed at them and Italy remained WC champs. Same goes for Germans of 1994 WC laughing at 1992 Euro champs Danes for not qualifying and Germans of WC 1978 laughing at 1976 Euro champs Czechoslovakia for not qualifying. After it was over, the Germans walked away empty-handed and Danes and Czechoslovaks got the last laugh.

Portugal is laughing at us because we, the Euro champ, did not qualify for the WC 2006. Although, behind that laugh, they feel embarrased losing to a Greek side who plays unattractive, defensive football and who never produced any star players, TWICE in their backyard. After it is over, Portugal will walk away empty-handed and Greece will have the last laugh cuz they will remain the champs.

mate think of it...

For the younger ones in this forum: The only reason the 1982 final was a disgrace is that Italy were rested, W. Germany were not: they had played an all-out emotion-draining, energy-draining thriller against France that went into overtime, one day after Italy beat Poland.

Btw, the French played their second team v. Poland for 3rd place as none of their regular players could drag themselves to play.

As for Portugal...why are any of you bothering about them??? :huh:

guys, calm down! I didn't say Greece didn't deserve to win... Of course any team that can defend well is respectable... and Greece did it very well in Euro 2004. They combined it with perfect set pieces and found the formula to the victory...

but Italian side in 82 was not defending.. they were butching... remember the Argentina-Italy game... ;)

irlande, you probably remember the incident when Schumacher broke the jaw of Battistone... poor German later came and played for Fenerbahce... :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

if you read the two paragraphs above, you will get why that final was a disgrace... :not:

Poor portugez - and to think that I felt bad for them after Euro

A friend of mine is in Toronto and says after every game they take to the streets to celebrate their huge wins

WOW

Angola

and

Iran

what would happen if they beat St. Kitt's and Nevis - a national holiday???????

Poor

Poor

Portugez

Sorry for ruining your parade

Zito :gr: :gr:

These Portugal lads remind me of these Germans who are still yattering on about the "goal that should have been disallowed".

At the end of the day, who cares? Greece won and history always remembers the winners.

These Portugal lads remind me of these Germans who are still yattering on about the "goal that should have been disallowed".

At the end of the day, who cares? Greece won and history always remembers the winners.

Theres a huge difference. Greece won it fairly, knocking out the hosts, holders and favourites along the way. England won it on home soil when the holders Brazil were ravaged by injury, Hungary (the favourites were robbed to go out) and the final was won on a disgraceful refereeing decision. As for the Germans going on about it, maybe you'd have somewhat of a point if the English didnt keep bringing it up every 2 minutes!

BTW, I can't believe I seeing an Englishmen accussing someone else of 'sour grapes'. After every tournament England has an excuse, 'WE WUZ ROBBED!' because... 'Maradona's goal was a handball', 'Sol's goal should have stood', 'the weather was too hot', 'owen walked under a ladder before the game', 'Beckham dropped his horseshoe sown the drain'... this year it will be... 'Rooney and Owen weren't fully fit!!!' Ah ta mounia... enough excuses you're just not good enough!

Wishing a fellow Euro-Champ, Holland, victory on Sunday. I started a topic/poll on the Holland-Portugal game in the World Cup forum.

Posted Image

Archived