Phantis Forums

Australia - Greece

Ziaka

National symbols in the game between Hellas- Australia cause reactions

18 May 2006

The article of the Herald Sun entitled “It’s all Greek to fans” that refers to the friendly football game between Australia and Hellas in Melbourne on May 25 and the flags the Hellene fans will be allowed to carry caused reactions, with many letters arriving at the newspaper. Issues related to national identity, nationality, nationalism and managing of masses” have been raised.

In his letter under the title “Swapping nationalities”, letter writer Danial Mulin says that he “is angry with people who chose to become Australians when it suits them”. He believes that the support to the Hellenic team will be big; adding that it would be al right if the support came from Hellenes. However, this is not the case. He ends his letter by saying that the supporters will be Australians of Hellenic origin.

Another letter writer named John Barlek refers to the same article and in his letter entitled

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Another letter writer named John Barlek refers to the same article and in his letter entitled

Kotsolis was replaced on the squad travelling to Australia with Sifakis. Here is the latest lineup:

Nikopolidis, Anatolakis, Kafes (Olympiakos), Dellas, Katsouranis (AEK), Vyntra, Papadopoulos, Gekas, Goumas (Panathinaikos), Zagorakis, Salpiggidis (PAOK), Sifakis (OFI), Lagos (Iraklis), Kyrgiakos (Glasgow Rangers), Charisteas (Ajax Amsterdam), Basinas (RCD Mallorca), Giannakopoulos (Bolton Wanderers), Fyssas (Hearts of Midlothian), Karagounis (Benfica Lisbon), Seitaridis (Dinamo Moscow), Amanatidis (Eintracht Frankfurt), Samaras (Manchester City)

I would hate to see some young players not get there chance to start.

Kotsolis was replaced on the squad travelling to Australia with Sifakis. Here is the latest lineup:

Nikopolidis, Anatolakis, Kafes (Olympiakos), Dellas, Katsouranis (AEK), Vyntra, Papadopoulos, Gekas, Goumas (Panathinaikos), Zagorakis, Salpiggidis (PAOK), Sifakis (OFI), Lagos (Iraklis), Kyrgiakos (Glasgow Rangers), Charisteas (Ajax Amsterdam), Basinas (RCD Mallorca), Giannakopoulos (Bolton Wanderers), Fyssas (Hearts of Midlothian), Karagounis (Benfica Lisbon), Seitaridis (Dinamo Moscow), Amanatidis (Eintracht Frankfurt), Samaras (Manchester City)

I agree.

Australia should be favourites for this match because of their playing at home and the fans expectations because of the WC, so why not play the youngsters.

I want to see Lagos, Samaras, Sifakis play half a game.

I agree.

Australia should be favourites for this match because of their playing at home and the fans expectations because of the WC, so why not play the youngsters.

I want to see Lagos, Samaras, Sifakis play half a game.

Eho paratirisei oti sta filika paihnidia o Otto deinei hrono se neous.Opote poly pithanon na paixoune

I cant wait... I cant wait... Theres so much interest in this game around town. The atmosphere is going to be great!

Theres one issue though, around Melbourne and Australia in general, that is starting to irritate the hell out of me.

Theres all these people offering their 'two cents' worth about football, even though they dont know sh** about it. The hype sorrounding the Australian football team is great, but beware of so called 'experts' who are just riding the the wave of support. We're told its 'Un"Australian' to support Greece and not Australia in this game, but where wre all these supporters when Australia was a minnow team. Australia was always supported by mostly migrants, and we re the ones being treated like crap now. I wonder where these new 'converts' to world football will be after the World Cup ? :angry:

One last thing, I hope fans of the Australian team drop the totally embaressing 'Oi Oi Oi!' chant.. its so unimaginative and stupid!

Xestous so-called "experts".

I know many an expert. I will give you an example....

Scenario.....

Opening Match in Euro 2004:

Pre-Match Buildup.

so-called Expert 1: So whats the final score going to be?

so-called Expert 2: Portugal to win easily. 4 -1 .

Half-Time Analysis:

so-called Expert 1: So do you still believe it will be Portugal and with the same score?

so-called Expert 2: Well.....I can't believe Portugal will so badly in the 2nd half so I will stick to my prediction.

Final Analysis:

so-called Expert 1: Wow, Greece was actually the better side and deserved the result. What are your feelings?

so-called Expert 2: Yes. I am a DI<KHEAD! Ohh please Greeks do not come after me in the parking lot.

Australia is a free country and as such you are free to associate and believe and follow anything within legal means. Do not get upset about right wing nationalistic Anglo's telling you what to think. Be thankful that this is Australia and not Turkiye or Germany where you can't even get citizenship.

By the Grace of Allah I hope ELLAS show us how great they are this Thursday.

:gr:

Not because I'm a lazy vlaka, but because here in Korea they don't show any kind of football that doesn't involve a Korean player, so can anybody tell me which website will show this match?

They'll be too busy showing Korea/Senegal (whoo-hoo!).

I wish I could be there for the match. The stadium's gonna be packed!

Not because I'm a lazy vlaka, but because here in Korea they don't show any kind of football that doesn't involve a Korean player, so can anybody tell me which website will show this match?

They'll be too busy showing Korea/Senegal (whoo-hoo!).

I wish I could be there for the match. The stadium's gonna be packed!

Dude you live in Korea?

Great scotts Plato-NY! :o

Great work on those photos! :tup:

This would be something special in Melbourne, let's go for Greece's victory.

Here's more. Hellas Fan Club of Melbourne giving plaques.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I'm really excited about this guys! I feel as thought its a game in a major tournament! Is Rehagel going to take this seriously??? Any info on the team selection? I'd love to see Amanatidis get 90 mins (or an hour at the very least), also hopefully Lagos features. It would be good try things but I just dont want us to be a whooping preperation for the mounia. So since we're getting imminently closer can we have some honest predictions?

Australia 0 - 1 Greece

Karagounis '56

:gr: :gr: :gr:

I'm really excited about this guys! I feel as thought its a game in a major tournament! Is Rehagel going to take this seriously??? Any info on the team selection? I'd love to see Amanatidis get 90 mins (or an hour at the very least), also hopefully Lagos features. It would be good try things but I just dont want us to be a whooping preperation for the mounia. So since we're getting imminently closer can we have some honest predictions?

Australia 0 - 1 Greece

Karagounis '56

:gr: :gr: :gr:

Smashing Thru The Greek Wall

Archived