Phantis Forums

Australia - Greece

Ziaka

I don't follow the Australian players much but I do know the 10 Greek players aboard called up for the May 25th friendly.

Stelios Giannakopoulos (Bolton Wanderers FC)

Giorgios Karagounis (SL Benfica)

Giorkas Seitaridis (Dinamo Moscow)

Aggelos Basinas (Mallorca)

Sotiris Kyrgiakos (Rangers)

Panagiotis Fyssas (Hearts)

Angelos Charisteas (AFC Ajax)

Giorgios Samaras (Manchester City FC)

Giannis Amanatidis (Eintracht Frankfurt)

Kostas Chalkias (Murcia) :tdown:

:gr: :gr:

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK one last warning. This thread is only about the Australia - Greece game. Let's keep this way. Keep pilitical discussion out of it. My next step is to remove all the irrelevant posts and eventually close it (once again).

Re file XXX-18T ti geloia photografia.De mporo na stamatiso na gelao

Terra Australis-Hellas 2-2

The biggest paper in Australia is running a poll on whether Greek Australians can bring in their flags for the game on may 25th:

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/

Vote Yes!!!

Posted Image

Also from The Herald Sun:

Spirits Flag Over Sensitive Issue

I dont understand why they're banning other Greek flags for this game.. I'll be there and I wont be taking a flag with me, but if I wanted to take a flag which wasnt the mainstreem Greek flag (ie Asteri tis Berginas) how would that be different from the Skippies bringing in a flag with the Boxing Kangaroo (ohhh what an intimidating image that is... NOT!).

This flag ban has been made to avoid political trouble at football matches.. I agree with it in that case (eg. if Greece was playing FYROM). But theres no issues between Greeks and Anglo-Australians (except the racist redneck ones who hate all non Anglos) 90% of the Aussie fans wouldnt even know what the mainstreem Greek flag looked like little own other ones

Players called by Otto for the game:

Nikopolidis, Anatolakis, Kafes (Olympiakos), Dellas, Katsouranis (AEK), Vyntra, Papadopoulos, Gekas, Goumas (Panathinaikos), Zagorakis, Salpiggidis (PAOK), Kotsolis (Larisa), Lagos (Iraklis), Kyrgiakos (Glasgow Rangers), Charisteas (Ajax Amsterdam), Basinas (RCD Mallorca), Gianakopoulos (Bolton Wanderers), Fyssas (Hearts of Midlothian), Karagounis (Benfica Lisbon), Seitaridis (Dinamo Moscow), Amanatidis (Eintracht Frankfurt), Samaras (Manchestyer City)

Chalkias who was earlier announced willnot travel to Melbourne, because he has playing duties with Murcia. Also missing is Antzas who is injured.

Nikopolidis, Anatolakis, Kafes (Olympiakos), Dellas, Katsouranis (AEK), Vyntra, Papadopoulos, Gekas, Goumas (Panathinaikos), Zagorakis, Salpiggidis (PAOK), Kotsolis (Larisa), Lagos (Iraklis), Kyrgiakos (Glasgow Rangers), Charisteas (Ajax Amsterdam), Basinas (RCD Mallorca), Gianakopoulos (Bolton Wanderers), Fyssas (Hearts of Midlothian), Karagounis (Benfica Lisbon), Seitaridis (Dinamo Moscow), Amanatidis (Eintracht Frankfurt), Samaras (Manchestyer City)

Chalkias who was earlier announced willnot travel to Melbourne, because he has playing duties with Murcia. Also missing is Antzas who is injured.

He left out Kapsis, but called up Anatolakis and Dellas (who is ridiculously unfit!) Is Kapsis injured or something? He left out Tavlaridi too!!! Ti m#$%!s o Germanos!

Greeks should wear a shirt like this to the game so the police wont immediately notice because its a black shirt:

Posted Image

Greeks should wear a shirt like this to the game so the police wont immediately notice because its a black shirt:

Posted Image

Thats not a bad idea. If flags cant be taken surely logos on t-shirts are. What are they going to do, undress you? Great post!

He left out Kapsis, but called up Anatolakis and Dellas (who is ridiculously unfit!) Is Kapsis injured or something? He left out Tavlaridi too!!! Ti m#$%!s o Germanos!
Kapsis is in the same physical form as Dellas. Dellas played in the cup and due to him lack of form and cirillos ofsp scored the first goal. Otto has to do something different with the defense.

Isnt this supposed to be a discussion about the Australia - Greece game. These Turkish and Greek 'history lessons' are irrelavent to football. Last time I heard, Agia Sofia wasnt in any national team I know of haha :D

Well said PAOK Fan. I deleted all the irrelevant political talk from the thread. Any political posts in the future will be deleted. Let's stick to the topic at hand or I will close it.

Kotsolis was replaced on the squad travelling to Australia with Sifakis. Here is the latest lineup:

Nikopolidis, Anatolakis, Kafes (Olympiakos), Dellas, Katsouranis (AEK), Vyntra, Papadopoulos, Gekas, Goumas (Panathinaikos), Zagorakis, Salpiggidis (PAOK), Sifakis (OFI), Lagos (Iraklis), Kyrgiakos (Glasgow Rangers), Charisteas (Ajax Amsterdam), Basinas (RCD Mallorca), Gianakopoulos (Bolton Wanderers), Fyssas (Hearts of Midlothian), Karagounis (Benfica Lisbon), Seitaridis (Dinamo Moscow), Amanatidis (Eintracht Frankfurt), Samaras (Manchestyer City)

I dont expect the game to shown live in North America. Possibly tape delay.

Also:

Crowd record set to be broken for new MCG

Tuesday, 16 May 2006

The recently established crowd record for the new MCG is set to be broken as Football Federation Australia (FFA) today announced that the final 3,000 tickets for the Powerade Cup match between the Qantas Socceroos and Greece will go on sale for the previously fully subscribed event.

From 9am AEST on Thursday May 18, Australian sports fans that missed out on the original ticket offer will be given another opportunity to be on hand to farewell the Qantas Socceroos in style before they head off to the FIFA World Cup.

The demand for the last tickets is expected to be very high as the first public offer saw tickets sell out in a matter of hours. A total of 3,000 tickets will be released on Thursday, including Category A, B and C tickets, offering great views, as well as some sight restricted seating.

Geoff Parmenter, Head of Marketing and Strategy for the FFA said that the new ticket allocation is made up primarily from new seats that have been added to the MCG. “We have been working closely with the MCC to ensure that as many people as possible will be able to attend the Powerade Cup match and help farewell the Qantas Socceroos before they head off to Germany. With the newly added seats, as well as the release of an allocation of sight restricted seating we are hoping to set a crowd record for the new MCG.”

Tickets can be purchased from any Ticketmaster outlet, either online at www.ticketmaster.com.au or over the phone on 1300 136 122 from 9am Thursday May 18.

http://www.ticketmaster.com.au/eventprofil...?profileid=2564

Category 1 Category 2 Category 3

Adult $120.00 $75.00 $40.00

Concession * N/A $37.50 $20.00

Family ** N/A $150.00 $80.00

Sight Restricted Sight Restricted Sight Restricted

Category 1 Category 2 Category 3

Adult $90.00 $50.00 $30.00

Concession * $45.00 $25.00 $15.00

Family ** $180.00 $100.00 $60.00

Greek almost a Roo

MANCHESTER City's rising star George Samaras could just as easily be wearing the green and gold instead of turning out for Greece next week at the MCG.

Samaras has revealed he has strong Melbourne connections, with his father born here and his grandfather playing a big part in the formation of South Melbourne Hellas in the 1960s.

Samaras's father John was a big star in Greek soccer with the national team, Panathinaikos and OFI Crete.

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/common/st...55E2883,00.html

Greek almost a Roo

MANCHESTER City's rising star George Samaras could just as easily be wearing the green and gold instead of turning out for Greece next week at the MCG.

Samaras has revealed he has strong Melbourne connections, with his father born here and his grandfather playing a big part in the formation of South Melbourne Hellas in the 1960s.

Samaras's father John was a big star in Greek soccer with the national team, Panathinaikos and OFI Crete.

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/common/st...55E2883,00.html

I made this very point many months ago when Otto Rehhagel wasn't selecting him for the Ethniki.

I seriously doubt he would have chosen Australia to play for, but who knows if the saga kept dragging on and he was like 24/25 years old and he still wasn't being selected.

I should remind everyone that this scenario isn't completely ridiculous as Christian Vieri's brother Massimiliano (Max) was selected and chose to play for Australia as he was never going to get the attention in Italy like his brother.

Archived