Phantis Forums

Michael Panopoulos

Mates from Australia...

Could you help me with this question by a friend (and Southampton supporter) please?

I was wondering, Could you tell me anything on a bloke called Michael Panopolous, who is now playing for South Melbourne in Australia? I already know he's a defender, but is there any more you can shed on him.

Cheers

Dimitris

Yeah glad to help Mouse.....

First of all Panopoulos isnt a defender but a midfielder. He left Australia ten years ago to play soccer abroad where he played at Portsmouth, Dundee and Aris. He spent his last season or two fighting injury at Aris but cemented a spot in the starting 11.

He has struggled for fitness and form here in Australia but in given time is expected to return to his playing ability that we know of. He is a very skillful player and quite frank, too good for this crappy league.

He is 28 and is looking to leave to go back to Europe at the season's end.

om21 your right he is too good for n.s.l. he also used to play for heidelberg in aust as a teenager before they got rid of him casue he was no ogood that's what i've heard. then went to greece and at aris where in a few yrs got lots of strats and even scoring golas in crucial games like at toubma when aris won 0-4(won't see that happening now).

i think he got a big head as he was still early 20's and decided to scoot of to england to try his luck even htough he shouldv'e stayed at aris 1-2 yrs more to cement his place more as a star. he didn't get games at portsmouth due to venables as coach prefering prosinecki(98 wc star for croatia) then panopoulos since prosinecki was on big $$$.

then went to scotland to dundee to get a chance and got some time of bench but never many full games.

then went back to aris had a few games but before start of last yr got injured in preseason frinedly then none other then paok(bad tackle) and put him out for half a yr.

now his at south melb and i think will be their most valuable player this yr and has to be if he wants to go back ot europe.

om21 your right he is too good for n.s.l. he also used to play for heidelberg in aust as a teenager before they got rid of him casue he was no ogood that's what i've heard. then went to greece and at aris where in a few yrs got lots of strats and even scoring golas in crucial games like at toubma when aris won 0-4(won't see that happening now).

i think he got a big head as he was still early 20's and decided to scoot of to england to try his luck even htough he shouldv'e stayed at aris 1-2 yrs more to cement his place more as a star. he didn't get games at portsmouth due to venables as coach prefering prosinecki(98 wc star for croatia) then panopoulos since prosinecki was on big $$$.

then went to scotland to dundee to get a chance and got some time of bench but never many full games.

then went back to aris had a few games but before start of last yr got injured in preseason frinedly then none other then paok(bad tackle) and put him out for half a yr.

now his at south melb and i think will be their most valuable player this yr and has to be if he wants to go back ot europe.

A few things that I will correct you on....

He never got a big head, he just wanted to try playing in a more professional league where you get paid on time. And thats exactly what happened. He is still owed many a dollars from Aris, which is why he didnt re-sign. He played consistently in Scotland and was on and off in England.

om21 you could be right but i think he got a big head i mean come on in young 20's he wasn't exactly a superstar for aris if so he wouldv'e been snapped up by one of 3 big athens clubs or even interest for him.

i still think his a good player and has something left in him to prove in europe and hope he does cause his from florina and where my dad's village as well.

It was Dunfermline he played with in Scotland. Greek connection at the club is Brewster and also Lee Bullen, who played in Kalamata for a couple of years.

Panopoulos did well in the few games he appeared in, and was popular among the fans.

Not really...AEK havent been paying player son time consistently for a few years. So wahts the difference between Aris and AEK? He would still be getting delayed. He took a shot in England which I think Greek players need to play abroad to improve. He tried....he never failed but never succeeded.

Brewster also played for Ioniko.....

Archived