Phantis Forums

WCq: Denmark - GREECE

Ziaka

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's several things that are going to come inot play come October that's key for both teams

INJURIES: This is something that needs to be looked at and see how they are going to be com kick-off time. At the moment I think that we need Dellas and he needs to get well ASAP. He's the type of caracter that "messhes" our defenseive line and makes it just a tad-bit better.

FATIGUE: This is going to be key. We all know that our NT players play in some great leagues and some are involved in other tournaments like Champions Leagues, League Cups, UEFA Cups and anything else that I might be forgetting. We need to be fresh come October because playing in Denmark isn't going to be easy.

WEATHER: Well the avg. temperature in Denamrk isn't going to be like it was in Portugal a yr ago and it's not going to be a cake walk for our guys. The Danes are brought up playing in snow and are brought up playing w/ shrivaled up ba**s... It's going to suck in Copenhagen!

(I think that we might be an underdog in this category)

METALITY: Here is where we're going to see the true B**** of "King Otto". He needs to pump these guys up and help them realize that they can beat this team. Now don't get me wrong, the Danes are playing some kick ass soccer at the moment but October is a long time from now and anything can happen. It's going to be a pshycological game as well.

WE'RE GREEKS DAMN IT!: Do I need to say more about this? Just simply stated and that's it. :gr:

I know that I'm propably forgetting some other important facts but just thinking out-loud here and that's what I have.. Anyone else?

Good Luck To Our Men..........

And the only thing that I ask from them is to make us proud. :tup: :gr:

Here is the key in my estimation:

Dellas must return to anchor the back. If he can sign with Lazio quick, he can get back to playing regularly. This way Basinas will not have to play D and we can have the EURO 2004 Fantastic 4 back there (Seitaridis, Dellas, Kapsis, Fyssas)

Actually Basinas should not play at all. He is not a 1st teamer with PAO, the midfield should definately have:

Giannakopoulos

Karagounis

Katsouranis

I am not sold on Zagorakis lately, but will include him since we may not have anyone else.

Upfront:

Charisteas and Gekas (Good presence of mind to pass to Lybero instead of turning and kicking it at goal himself)

But Dellas is the key!!

Here is the key in my estimation:

Dellas must return to anchor the back. If he can sign with Lazio quick, he can get back to playing regularly. This way Basinas will not have to play D and we can have the EURO 2004 Fantastic 4 back there (Seitaridis, Dellas, Kapsis, Fyssas)

Actually Basinas should not play at all. He is not a 1st teamer with PAO, the midfield should definately have:

Giannakopoulos

Karagounis

Katsouranis

I am not sold on Zagorakis lately, but will include him since we may not have anyone else.

Upfront:

Charisteas and Gekas (Good presence of mind to pass to Lybero instead of turning and kicking it at goal himself)

But Dellas is the key!!

we could also play something like this in attack

amanatidis(gekas)-charisteas-pap

charisteas must play cause denmark is very weak in defence especialy on setpieces

Denmark is on a high after destroying georgia, so they'll be over confident. Greece always like to be the underdogs who prove themselves. We are mentally ready for them. Fatigues worries me, sonce many of the players have played a lot without much rest and all this traveling doesn't help. Players like Basinas and Charisteas should be dropped from the starting 11 since they seem out of it. Dellas should be back and at 100% so defensively we look solid. Denmark have been hot on goal, are defence should cool them down. If we get a little lucky we can beat them. If we score in the begging of the game we can have complete control over them.

^ with that lineup we'll get blown out of the stadium, i want to see something like this:

---nikopolidis

giourkas---dellas---kapsis/soto---fyssas

-----------zago---kats

stelios-------------------kara

---------charisteas---vryzas/lybe

i also want to see amanatidis get called back

lybe has earned himself a staring place, he saw more of the ball in the 35 mins he played than vryzas did in the 1st half+early 2nd half.

Denmark is on a high after destroying georgia, so they'll be over confident. Greece always like to be the underdogs who prove themselves. We are mentally ready for them. Fatigues worries me, sonce many of the players have played a lot without much rest and all this traveling doesn't help. Players like Basinas and Charisteas should be dropped from the starting 11 since they seem out of it. Dellas should be back and at 100% so defensively we look solid. Denmark have been hot on goal, are defence should cool them down. If we get a little lucky we can beat them. If we score in the begging of the game we can have complete control over them.

Denmark is the European Champion from 1992

Greece is at the moment the European Chamion.

Greece is no more a underdog in a football match. Every team has much respect against Greece. So the vikings will give everything they have to show their people that the spirit of ,,Danish Dynamite" still exists.

.....it will be a great battle game...and if Greece wins than as a Turk I must say : Respect for Greece. But it smells like a tie cause Greece will aslo give everything they have.

I am not sold on Zagorakis lately,

you must be kidding, did you see him last game , za and kara were are two best players, but i totally agree with your theory on leaving basinas out, and the rest of your lineup seems about right , except for gekas...i am a pao fan and the man cannot finish, we wont get to many chances vs Den so we cant have gek missing the few chances we do get....we need the defence to play good, and a couple good center passes/ corners for the dagger that is the "Greek Header"

we go as far as our Captain takes us

granted he hasn't be great either but who in Greece has been ??

remember Zagorakis is only one man

he can't do everything himself

do remember Zagorakis played v Denmark in Greece when he had a high fever yet he was dominant in his performance in the first half

even scoring his first and only international goal

maybe he has another one left lol

we go as far as our Captain takes us

granted he hasn't be great either but who in Greece has been ??

remember Zagorakis is only one man

he can't do everything himself

do remember Zagorakis played v Denmark in Greece when he had a high fever yet he was dominant in his performance in the first half

even scoring his first and only international goal

maybe he has another one left lol

I can't believe people consider dropping him. He isn't Zidane, but everything filters through him. Attack and Defence. He's involved in about 80% of the play no one in Greece or maybe even the world is that involved in the play defenseviley and offensively. If I remeber corretly he had the most tackles and passes at euro 2004. That's why he is the lungs, heart and soul of out team.

I made a mistake about Basinas, I based my opinion on other opinions. He does deserve his place on the starting 11. Seitaridis should be to blame to for the goal too, for me it look like basinas didn't expect it and thought the guy would get his head to the ball. It was more unlucky than anything. Either way the gola woke us up and we put a lot of pressure on kzakhstan. In the last minutes all 11 were in their box. Even our 11 was in their box when the goal was scored. Anyways Basinas played well despite the goal, he was one of our better players. Even Kafes impressed me a bit. But Kazakhstan are a weak team, so I wouldn't say he deserves a place quite yet. Overall we played a little sloppy in the first half but after the goal we played like champions. If we play like that against Denmark we will win.

• 2 weeks later...

The foreign based players have been announced by Otto for the games with Denmark and Georgia. No suprises here.

Takis Fyssas (Heart of Midlothian)

Zisis Vryzas (AC Fiorentina)

Giourgas Seitaridis (Dinamo Moscow)

Giorgos Karagounis (Internazzionale Milan)

Sotiris Kyrgiakos (Glasgow Rangers)

Aggelos Charisteas (Ajax Amsterdam)

Stelios Giannakopoulos (Bolton Wanderers)

time is almost coming for this huge match ahead of us

i have this feeling that the team will preform has it did during its Euro 2004 run

they scored 2 goals in the last 15 mins of the game v Kaz

they both scored and won the game which they hadn't done in a long time

after that game it gave them a sense of control

everybody forgets that we are in control of our own fate

we win these 2 games we go into the playoff round

question now is who will start and wut formation will we go with ?

The foreign based players have been announced by Otto for the games with Denmark and Georgia. No suprises here.

Takis Fyssas (Heart of Midlothian)

Zisis Vryzas (AC Fiorentina)

Giourgas Seitaridis (Dinamo Moscow)

Sotiris Kyrgiakos (Glasgow Rangers)

Aggelos Charisteas (Ajax Amsterdam)

Stelios Giannakopoulos (Bolton Wanderers)

Amantidis is done I guess - wow - from saviour in the minds of some to also ran

:nono: :nono: :nono: :LOL:

Benfica

i thought otto would give a chance to amanatidis after euro, and he did get his chance but only briefly it seems :tdown:

we should all realize and accept the fact that otto will most likely go w/ almost the same lineup vs. kaz, no time for any changes at this point of the qualifiers, i would not be surprised if otto fields this starting 11

------nikopolidis

---------dellas

giourkas---kapsis---fyssas

zago------basinas---kara

stelios---charisteas---vryzas

the only change here is dellas in for kats

and yes basinas, charisteas, and vryzas i think will all start. i would be very surprised if lybe started even though i think he deserves it

at least some good news: gravasen got benched in the 2nd half of real's game and then real and gravasen's substitute were on fire afterwards, scored 3 goals in the 2nd half, so maybe gravasen will get benched in future games and loose some fitness

Greece - Denmark 2-1 Feb 09/05 WC2006 (Q)

Greece - Denmark 0-0 Oct 11/97 WC1998 (Q)

Denmark - Greece 2-1 Oct 09/96 WC1998 (Q)

Denmark - Greece 7-1 May 17/89 WC1990 (Q)

Greece - Denmark 1-1 Oct 19/88 WC1990 (Q)

Greece - Denmark 0-2 Nov 16/83 E1984 (Q)

Denmark - Greece 1-0 Apr 27/83 E1984 (Q)

Greece - Denmark 2-3 Oct 14/81 WC1982 (Q)

Denmark - Greece 0-1 Oct 15/80 WC1982 (Q)

Denmark - Greece 1-1 Oct 27/65 WC1966 (Q)

Greece - Denmark 4-2 Nov 29/64 WC1966 (Q)

Denmark - Greece 7-2 Jul 03/60 Friendly

Greece - Denmark 1-3 Dec 02/59 Friendly

Greece - Denmark 1-2 Jul 15/52 Olympic Games 1952

...interesting history......

......If your Dad or Grandfather has a weak heart please turn off the TV if the match starts ... :blink: a very hard game for Ellas

But nothing is impossible my Greek friends look at 1982 also WORLD CUP Quali :

Denmark - Greece 0-1 Oct 15/80 WC1982 (Q)

Thoughts on Dellas? - did he play for AEK today?

Otto is a loyal guy - but will he even think about starting him?

I think the lineup is:

Nikopolidis

Fyssas - Goumas - Kapsis- Giorkas

Basinas -Zagorakis- Stelios - Karagouns

Vryzas - Charisteas

I used to think Charisteas should be removed from the starting eleven but after reading about his current form at Ajax I have changed my mind. As for Vryzas...leave him out, Otto! Here is my revised starting eleven considering Dellas will be fit and ready to go:

----------------------------------------Nikopolidis-------------------------------------------

-------------------------Kapsis-------------------------------Dellas ------------------------

--------Seitaridis-----------------------------------------------------------Fyssas----------

----------------------------------------Katsouranis------------------------------------------

--------Giannakopoulos-------------------------------------------------Zagorakis---------

-----------------------------------------Karagounis------------------------------------------

----------------Charisteas-----------------------------------------Lymberopoulos---------

Substitutions:

Basinas

Kyrgiakos

Goumas

Papadopoulos

Gkekas

Archived