Phantis Forums

Confed Cup: GREECE - Brazil

drakos13

I got to agree with Akritis, before the roster was out, I was expecting to see some youth like Samaras, Salp, Tavlaridis (he's only replacing Dellas) but what do i see? only 1 youth player and it's a 3rd string keeper that will probably not even play a minute. i think the only way we will see sweeping change is if guys retire or get injured and thats a damn shame. Otto has kept it together for a long time but now is too long and he has to force some changes and knowing how stubborn he is that won't probably happen until players start to retire. after euro everybody knows who we are now and it's time for change.

i think what needs to change is up front, Vryzas/Charisteas is not working for the last 3 games. some people here know what i think of Charisteas and his poor dribbling abilities and Vryzas, he played today with a broken hand and he works hard but with all do respect i think it's time for Amanatidis

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i forgot to talk about the game. Soti missed an open header in the first minute that would have changed things...but not for long. i think what really lacks is ground attacks. i mean honestly watching our guys trying to dribble around them was like watching Brazil playing an amateur team. as good as our defence is, it was just a matter of time before they would score and what can i say the goals were unstoppable.

let's hope for a better match vs. Japan

Brazil rulez and that is fact, it's ok we faced a good team like Greek and a very strong and defensive team, but the "Ginga" still is the best. Robinho and Adriano are great players, among Ronaldinho and Kaká.

Good game!!!

Dimitri I told you ;-)

I know man...

We were simply outclassed

I am not that unhappy though. The younger players in our NT can now unload the unnecessary joy for playing in the 2004 Euro Champions and start working even harder to get better...

Nothing happens in vain.

Good game by Brazil... and beautiful goals 1 and 3...

'brazil rules' doesnt cut it. The fact is the team is NOT THAT GOOD, and surely the champion of europe would be a CHALLENGE for the champion of south america. after all they are the only 2 continents that matter in football.

by the way

Colombia beat that team a week ago.

Turkey beat that team a few years ago too....

also Rehagel did a poor job getting players ready mentally and picking lineups yet again....this guy was great but latley hes too reluctant to change the old ways.

Vryzas was awful. Papadopoulos was much more livley but had no support.

Stelios and Karagkounis had terrible days so thats a big reason for the bad game they are key players.....

For strikers we need some FAST strikers. Vryzas and Charisteas are too slow, and Charisteas is getting pretty bad.

We need a quick, strong, experienced striker.......in other words Lymberopoulos would be awesome......I also think Demis was a big loss he gave us much better depth....

the team is also in poor form......we just blew our World Cup spot practically and now got hit with our hardest competitive loss since 2001...Japan wont be easy but we better show up and SCORE SOME GOALS.

That team is "not that good"?

How do you expect to beat a team with 10 Zagorakides in the outfield and who knows how many others on the bench?

We were simply outclassed. The first and third goals were simply unstoppable by any defence, of any team, on planet Earth.

I didnt think Greece played too bad in the first half, they created good chances and didnt give Brazil too many. But this is Brazil, the best team in the world, and ofcourse they were gonna shine.

That first goal was well weird, did you see the way the ball kinda gave itself a boost mid-flight, only the brazilians can do something like that. That third goal was typical of Juninho, he is possibly the best free-kicker in the world.

Why does Otto insist on playing Vryzas? He dosent work atall, I wouldnt of even realised he was playing if the team-sheet wasnt read out. Vryzas's days are over, i am not usually critical of players but Vryzas is not capable of playing in the reserves.

I think Greece need to practice alot more on converting chances. This was evident in the Ukraine match and todays. We need to take a bit of time out of organisation and practise on conversion.

This game not only shows how much Brazil are in a class of there own, but how far behind Europe is. I still think at this moment of time Greece is the best team in Europe, and if Brazil can score 3 against the greatest defence in the world, then theres no stopping the South Americans.

Let us meet in the final, Brazil.

Greece is not the best team in Europe.

There are many other European countries who plays much better at this moment !

But ist is very normal that the greek team will now have a down phase.... Mr.Rehagel has to bring new players and especially new strikers.... just bringing good defense players is not all....

I watched the game nad I saw that Charisteas is alone in the front.... ok Rehagel brought Amanatidis and this is a good beginning but Amanatidis came too late .... Greece need more strikers ....

...look at the turkish team they have enough strikers but they miss some defenders... :D

Greece should keep thier heads high.

We have two more matches to go.

Don't forget our two best defenders were absent(Dellas and Kapsis).

FORZA HELLAS !!!

FORZA AUSTRALIA !!! :gr: :gr:

Australia lost against Germany

FORZA GERMANY !

Australia should play with Kangaroos

:D

Guest logidyn

I think Greece were unlucky . If they were to score the first goal then we would have seen a copycat of another geerk euro2004 match and a very good chance for them to win with their defensive style . I believe that Greece has the best defense in the world and this team is as good as the euro2004 team and the next matches will prove me right . It is only that Brasil is very well adapted to this style and whenever they face a team which they find hard to crack they revert to the personal skills of their players . The first and the third goals were purely skill based and not team work . In the end I think that this Greek team can beat Brasil .

2nd mouse thanks for your message

as for the message against australia, i think the result put a red face on the germans winning a game with a penalty which was clearly not a penalty.

C,MON AUSSIES!!!!!!!!!!!! FORZA HELLAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :box: :box: :box: :LOL:

My first message folks. We surprised everyone last year but now people have gotten wiser and we got older and slower. Otto, as the undisputed leader, is responsible for recent performances because he refuses to adapt his lineup to either his opponents or to who is in form. Unless he stops being stubborn, we will continue our slide in rankings and miss out on the WC.

I just saw the replay. I have to agree with guys like Drakos and Akritis. I thought Greece was pretty disappointing. I agree that Charisteas and Vryzas were poor. Did you notice Charisteas got a slight touch on the face and went down like a sack of potatoes in the second half when an attack was on and Katsouranis fired off that great shot! I think he needs a reality check and some time on the bench - give Amantidis and Gekas some time.

My biggest concern, however, is the goalkeeper. Sure, Nikopolidis made one or two good saves but I was not impressed by the way he was transfixed on the goaline for the second and third goals. I am prepared to concede that Adriano's goal was out of the box. But on the second goal Nikopolidis seemed to give up as the ball went across goal. As for the third goal, does anyone remember Beckham's equalising goal at Wembley against Greece? How could you forget? It was deja vu. Nikopolidis did not move! The Greeks can forget about getting the Elgin Marbles back from the British Museum ... we already have a statue in goals.

Brazil is NOT that good!!! Look at the weekend result against Argentina. And by the way, according to the latest FIFA rankings, Greece is ranked 13th in the world! I know we were missing players of the calibre of Dellas and Kapsis (by the way I thought Kyriagos was OK) but was this game a true indication of the difference between 1st and 13th int he world? I don't think so. I hope Greece can prove that it is a worthy Euro champion in its matches against Japan and Mexico.

I didnt think Greece played too bad in the first half, they created good chances and didnt give Brazil too many. But this is Brazil, the best team in the world, and ofcourse they were gonna shine.

That first goal was well weird, did you see the way the ball kinda gave itself a boost mid-flight, only the brazilians can do something like that. That third goal was typical of Juninho, he is possibly the best free-kicker in the world.

Why does Otto insist on playing Vryzas? He dosent work atall, I wouldnt of even realised he was playing if the team-sheet wasnt read out. Vryzas's days are over, i am not usually critical of players but Vryzas is not capable of playing in the reserves.

I think Greece need to practice alot more on converting chances. This was evident in the Ukraine match and todays. We need to take a bit of time out of organisation and practise on conversion.

This game not only shows how much Brazil are in a class of there own, but how far behind Europe is. I still think at this moment of time Greece is the best team in Europe, and if Brazil can score 3 against the greatest defence in the world, then theres no stopping the South Americans.

Let us meet in the final, Brazil.

we are NOT the best team in europe!

we are in the top 10

holland-italy-spain-france-england-chech rep and maybe germany.

theese teams are better player by player some of them much better

We are supposed to be the benchmark for European football, yet we are playing like a third rate PAOK!

ZHTW ELLAS!

Why did you have to bring PAOK of all teams into this discussion? :D

Otherwise I agree with your comments.

Greece looked weak both on offense and defense. They really missed Kapsis at the back and the sooner Dellas is back, the better. I thought Papadopoulos played with a lot of energy and he should start against Japan. As for Charisteas, he did have that one chance but other than that, wasn't really effective. Vryzas shouldn't have started. The guy looked like he could barely keep up with the run of play.

I say Rehhagel takes a chance and goes with Papadopoulos and Amanatidis in front from the start against Japan. If they're not effective, plug in Charisteas as a substitute.

As for Brazil's goals, the first was just an amazing shot by Adriano but it also seemed like the defense gave him too much space. The second one was simply terrible defense. I knew it was over after that. The third, again a terrific shot but it looked like had Nikopolidis dived, he could have reached it (I hate when goalies simply stand there).

we are NOT the best team in europe!

we are in the top 10

holland-italy-spain-france-england-chech rep and maybe germany.

theese teams are better player by player some of them much better

Ofcourse these teams have better players, England have the second best team in the world, and yet there crap. Each team right now has a problem, I said we are the best team in Europe, not because were so good, but because everyone else is crap. France have lost there way, England are almost to pressured when going into games, Spain cant play, Italy cant play, the only teams that could be a fraction better than us is Czech and possibly the germans, but I think we are still the best. Just very unlucky.

Its not like Otto hasnt created chances for goals, we had chances but blew it. This game was not 3-0, they played better yeh, but not a 3-0 scoreline.

Look everybody in this forum thinks that something is not right for playing so bad against brazil.

In my opinion there is only one problem I can think of and that is the trick that Otto used in the Eurocup and he seems to have a change of heart for the recent games we played. The trick was the usage of 3 defensive midffilders {Zagorakis, Basinas, Katsouranis} in the center and Karagounis had a free role to do whatever he felt like in the Offence behind the 2 Strikers (Vryza Haristea).

Giannakopoulos was no starter and when he played as a starter Karagounis was not playing. Because Gianakopoulos did extremnly well with Bolton, Otto Chose to start him which meant 2 changes in the lineup:We play with an extra central defender as a libero and Fyssas is benched most of the times, which mean we don't have a pure left back any more.

That is that Greece in the Eurocup always played with only 2 central defenders and always had a left and a right back.

Seitaridis, Dellas, Kapsis, Fyssas

Now we are playing like: Seitaridis, Kyriakos, Basinas or Katsouranis, Goumas

Which means we loose some of the abilities of either Basina or Katsourani in the center.

No offence on Gianoakopoulo but if we really want him to play then I belive we should sacrifise Vryza and keep the rest of the team unchanged from the Eurocup.

I know Gianakopoulos is not a centerforward but he is in my eyes a much better goalscorer than Vryza.

.............Nikopolidi.

Seitaridi, 2 central defenders, Fyssa

Zagoraki, Basina, Katsouran

.............Karagouni

Vryza or Ginakopoulo, Haristea

That team is "not that good"?

How do you expect to beat a team with 10 Zagorakides in the outfield and who knows how many others on the bench?

We were simply outclassed. The first and third goals were simply unstoppable by any defence, of any team, on planet Earth.

what about Colombia? You dont beleive after shutting down the French, Portuguese and Czechs that its impossible to beat Brazil? Sure a loss was likely, but in this manner (3-0 and a terrible performance) is not something that happens to every team. It is NOT something that should happen for a european champion. We have a strong defense. (btw where was Fyssas, he is amazing attack and defense..) we didnt take the approach to the game correctly how we did in Portugal.

We hardly respected Brazil on the field. Ronaldinho and Kaka where left unmarked numerous times, why he didnt arrange a shutoff of Ronaldinho i dont know. Players wouldnt get back, and they wouldnt get forward. Vryzas thought he could get on camera by doing a bunch of tricks (which he failed at) and we were making horrible passes and mistakes letting the ball roll out, not fighting for the ball etc. Nikopolidis is getting a lot worse too. He couldnt distribute (remember like the kota he was he just kicked the ball randomly and it went straight to an unmarked Ronaldinho and then there was a great chance for Brazil coming from that) also when you pick up a ball your first looks should always be short- nearby open defenders so we can get possesion. Not kick it to Brazils defensive line for Chari/Vryzas to get out-hustled.

Yes Brazil is a great team- better than i thought they were, but Greece didnt play THEIR game. If we had it could have been a 2-1 or a 1-1.

Almamater is right on - I love Stelios and Karagounis - but not together in the mid - I would throw Stelio on the bench and have the 4 backs like you said

I disagree with a lot of what others have said - we must realize that if we throw out a bunch of players - Salpagidis-Zikos-Gekkas - Vyntra- Sammaras etc. - and put blue jerseys on them they will not automaticaly play like champions - for thelast 25 years we have been ok internationally -and that this team - with these players won Euro

An overhaul is not needed - and it will not result in success - no chance -

lets get through the injuries - tweak the team - and we will be ok - otherwise its back to 1985 all over again - and I don't feel like osing to Finland 5-1 again

(or was it 5-0)

Hi everyone,

I read some of the many posts about this game.

Here are my observations:

1) The passing was absolutely terrible. The 2nd goal was a direct result of a terrible pass near the center line which was intercepted by a Brazilian player.

There were countless instances in this game of weak passing. These men are professionals and they can't make a simple square pass. In Portugal the passing was exceptional.

2) Brazil pressured relentlessly in the midfield. Greece did not do it like they did in Portugal or the result would have been better. If you allow the Brazilians to control the midfield you're dead. You must press them for 90 minutes to nullify their superior ball handling skills.

3) Nikopolidis was at fault on the first goal. Watch the replay. He was cheating to his right in anticipation of a cross and was not in the center of the goal where he should have been. Adriano obviously saw this and it's 1-0.

4) This isn't the team that won Euro 2004 so it's like comparing apples and oranges.

5) I realize we are a small country but you would think that we could produce one attacking player of world class quality. Vryzas is terrible and Haristeas is marginally better but still not that good.

6) Does anybody slide tackle anymore besides Greek players? Watch any game in this tournament and you will see that only Greeks slide tackle on a consistent basis. If you have to slide tackle it means you are out of position defensively. Slide tackling is a sophomoric tactic. I don't remember a Brazilian slide tackling even once in this game. They don't need to because they are disciplined and in position all the time.

And the worst thing about all the slide tackling we were doing is that it never worked. The Brazilians either side-stepped or hopped right over the sprawling defender. It was embarrassing to watch. Truly.

We have a fine national team considering the size of our country. I think we have good players but many of them were missing yesterday. We aren't Brazil, Germany or Argentina. If we don't have our best 11 playing at all times we aren't going to win.

Euro 2004 was a surprise but not a fluke. That was a well disciplined defensive team that made no mistakes, pressured the ball at every opportunity, got stellar, flawless goalkeeping, a monster central defense (Dellas) and converted the chances that were created when they decided to venture forward.

Yesterday was the exact opposite of the Euro 2004 team.

Guest GreekSoussou

This game, if played the way Greece played in Euro, would have been 2-1 Greece. The defense was not sharp, but most of all 3 games in a row with 0 goals in not tollerable. Rehaggel needs to bring up another attacker, and let a midfielder play a defensive minded game.

3-4-3 with one mid being like a def/mid

I agree with Apostate's write-up. Here's my view and I'm not here to sound like a coach B)

At some point our NT cannot afford to be only playing good defense and long counter strike passes and wait on opportunities like free-kicks or corners to score.

A balance has to be shifted up front. You cannot keep winning games only on long midfield passes to find the strikers and hope that they make something happen. This can't go on for too long.

Every team now is exploiting and taking advantage of the GR play/strategy like what stronger teams like Turkey, Ukraine and Brazil just did and will surely be more difficult for the NT to accomplish anything.

For yesterday's game, our NT had no shot on goal in the 1st half and barely anything at the 2nd half. No attack and no mid control..Why? Karagounis, Stelios and Zago chasing Ronaldhino and the gang plus very bad passing all around. Zagorakis and Karagounis didnt play well. Stelios for me was the only midfielder present and being all alone he couldnt do much. I think he's more effective up front. So this resulted in the defensive backs like Basinas, Katsouranis to missile long shots up front which basically fizzled out with no result.

It is Brazil so I didnt expect us to win. Ok so we lost big deal. How about other 'big' nations who faced Brazil. It's not that this isn't the same euro04 team. Fine we didnt have Kapsis or Dellas but our style of play will not win us games continuously. Whatever happened yesterday or happens in the future is hopefully a learning and change process. Our NT were somewhat controlling things in the 1st 30mins but eventually the wall was going to fall and the samba party to start.

I have doubts about Amanatidis. I find he's slow and not too impressive but he should be given time to show his stuff. I don't think Aggelos C will be pull out since Otto has a soft side for him. Aggelos requires someone to feed him the ball and finish. How much I wanted for Vryzas to do well, but....I was surprised not to see Gekas play, hopefully in the next games.

Now tell me aren't there other strikers or midfielders available? Or how about from the U-21 team? Either we're very limited in GR, Otto doesn't think highly of anybody else or he has just put only his faith on a few players and doesnt want to change anything until he leaves.

I will always believe that winning the euro04 wasn't a fluke but a moment where a very good team came together, played their asses off, had luck, had passion and everything went their way. It was meant to be and for those who keep criticizing us are full of it and just jealous. Who cares anyways since they haven't won it. We can't now say well maybe it was just luck. Just luck doesnt make you champions and for those who play football like myself know how physically demanding it is. It's obvious a lot is expected from the team and some will fall off the band wagon. Whatever, you stick with your team no matter what. Wouldnt it be amazing if GR kept winning without losing? Well reality isnt that and those who think otherwise are very naive and stubborn.

For me whether our boys make it or not to the WC06 is not very important. Yes I will be disappointed for sure if they don't. Other teams that won the euro havent made it either to the following WC too. But, more importantly for our NT to progress and build in strength, and maintains a competitive and indestructive level.

I believe the euro win is a huge stepping stone for greek footballers mentality and ambitions.

Hey we're still Euro Champs until 2008! :gr:

Confederations cup :

Turkey was there in 2003 -they kicked out Brazil and lost against France in the semi final then they beat Kolumbia and get third.

We will see what the greek team will offer....

:D

Relax, dude. This is just an exhibition tournament. Its a cup winners festival. It was exciting for Greece, as the Euro champ, to play against Brazil, the world champ, in the FIFA Cup, even though we lost 3-0.

Since you're bringing it up for no reason other than to provoke, Turkey never competed in the FIFA Cup as a CUP WINNER and when they played against Brazil to a 2-2 tie, Brazil had LOST to Cameroon (ranked 18th at the time) 1-0 in the same division.

The 2-2 is impressive against Brazil and Cameroon's defeat against them was amazing. But, my point is, this is an exhibition tournament and its just for show. Australia scored 3 goals against Germany, in Germany, a few days ago and you know they are not a big team. I mean, they are ranked 57th in the world.

No offence on Gianoakopoulo but if we really want him to play then I belive we should sacrifise Vryza and keep the rest of the team unchanged from the Eurocup.

I know Gianakopoulos is not a centerforward but he is in my eyes a much better goalscorer than Vryza.

No way :nono: Stelios played as a striker in the first Ukraine game (1-1 draw) replacing Charisteas who was injured and he was terrible that game. his natural position is attacking mid, left or right.

if you play the long ball up to the strikers like we seem to be doing, Stelios is the shortest player on the team, it doesn't make any sense having him jump for headers, why do you think he takes most set pieces?

Archived