Phantis Forums

Just what is Greece's problem?

After another depressing campaigne from greek sides in Europe again, I have begun an investigation into the matter, here are a few statistics from the Chamipons league/European Cup*

Italy: 10 Winners, 14 Runner-up's

Spain: 10 Winners, 9 Runner-up's

England: 10 Winners, 2 Runner-up's

Germany: 7 Winners, 6 Runner-up's

Holland: 6 Winners, 3 Runner-up's

Portugal: 4 Winners, 5 Runner-up's

Serbia-Montenegro: 2 Winners, 1 Runner-up's

France: 1 Winner, 5 Runner-up's

Scotland: 1 Winner, 1 Runner-up

Sweden: 2 Runner-up's

Romania: 1 Runner-up

Greece: 1 Runner-up

*Possible mistakes, couldn't be botherd to double check.

So then, just what is Greece's Problem?

Corruption:

Possibly, the greek league is very corrupt but then again, so is Italy's, but they have the best player's and game, so were should not compare ourselves to the italians.

The fact that only two or three clubs ever win the Greek league:

Just like Scotland, there are only a very few teams with title hopes, and just like Scotland were pretty much ridiculous in the CL.

Panathinaikos doing there job in Europe, other gays not so much:

True, Panathinaikos has a good record in the CL, 1 Final, 2 Semi's, and 2 Quarter's. I haven't looked it up, but this record could be in the top 20 of Europe. OSPF do not perform in the CL because the CL is not corrupt, and cannot be bought.

An unhealthy hatred between clubs:

I think fans need to stick more together in Europe, like in England, and not pray for there downfall, this will never happen, but it is a problem nevertheless.

Shear Unluckyness:

Basically no, we havent had enough good campaignes to count ourselves unlucky.

Cheap Chairmen

Again, I am only speaking for panathinaikos, lets face it, if we werent cheap and didnt sell every player, we would have a team capable of at least a semi place.

These reasons are all very obscure and to be honest, I have confused myself even more, can someone please give me an explanation as to why the greeks just cant perform in Europe.

These reasons are all very obscure and to be honest, I have confused myself even more, can someone please give me an explanation as to why the greeks just cant perform in Europe.

our league sucks

theres lack of competition, it's dominated by the same old 3 teams

it's not because it's corrupt it's that Greek teams can't afford players salaries like those in the top 5 countries of that list. imagine if all Greek players abroad were kept home instead of going abroad to make more money (and of course play more competitive football) we would of course be more competitive in Europe.

you're absolutely right about why Olympiakos can't compete in Europe

Its all about crowd attendances thats all..

This season we say a lot of people coming back to the gronds and if that can continue it means more revenue for clubs which leads to more money for player suignings bring in better foreigbners simple

The league is a bit of a joke - I'm sorry to say because the talent and the potential is there

Problem 1 - 3 good teams only - much like the Scottish league - part of this is because of the small population of the country - there could never be 10-15 good teams like in Italy - however it would be nice if the Thesaloniki clubs could become competitive once again

Problem 2 - the crowds - I know comparing European sport to North American sport is not always legit - however who the hell goes to games anyway - are you likely to go with your buddy and your 2 little kids to enjoy a Sundy afternoon - no. Compare that to the States where this scenario will happen millions of times a week for sporting events - and millions of dollars goes to the teams.

The league is a joke because of what happened with Olympiakos-Panionios earlier in the season - just when it appeared that the federation was going to clean things up and fire out the strictest of penalties - they change their mind and the status quo reigns again - malkies pure and simple

All plausible reasons, but the fact is Greece dosen't even perform in the much less prestigous UEFA Cup where countries with much less population and much less talent can.

I've been thinking about past campignes:

1994 - 1995 PAO vs. Ajax, we choked.

2001 - 2002 PAO vs. Barca, we choked.

2002 - 2003 PAO vs. Porto, we choked.

2004 - 2005 OSPF vs. Liverpool, they choked.

2004 - 2005 PAO vs. Rosenberg, we choked.

Were good enough, we just choke.

P.s. Sorry irlandos and to romanians, well done for having a winner, that makes Greece however totally last on the list.

After another depressing campaigne from greek sides in Europe again, I have begun an investigation into the matter, here are a few statistics from the Chamipons league/European Cup*

Italy: 10 Winners, 14 Runner-up's

Spain: 10 Winners, 9 Runner-up's

England: 10 Winners, 2 Runner-up's

Germany: 7 Winners, 6 Runner-up's

Holland: 6 Winners, 3 Runner-up's

Portugal: 4 Winners, 5 Runner-up's

Serbia-Montenegro: 2 Winners, 1 Runner-up's

France: 1 Winner, 5 Runner-up's

Scotland: 1 Winner, 1 Runner-up

Sweden: 2 Runner-up's

Romania: 1 Runner-up

Greece: 1 Runner-up

*Possible mistakes, couldn't be botherd to double check.

So then, just what is Greece's Problem?

Corruption:

Possibly, the greek league is very corrupt but then again, so is Italy's, but they have the best player's and game, so were should not compare ourselves to the italians.

The fact that only two or three clubs ever win the Greek league:

Just like Scotland, there are only a very few teams with title hopes, and just like Scotland were pretty much ridiculous in the CL.

Panathinaikos doing there job in Europe, other gays not so much:

True, Panathinaikos has a good record in the CL, 1 Final, 2 Semi's, and 2 Quarter's. I haven't looked it up, but this record could be in the top 20 of Europe. OSPF do not perform in the CL because the CL is not corrupt, and cannot be bought.

An unhealthy hatred between clubs:

I think fans need to stick more together in Europe, like in England, and not pray for there downfall, this will never happen, but it is a problem nevertheless.

Shear Unluckyness:

Basically no, we havent had enough good campaignes to count ourselves unlucky.

Cheap Chairmen

Again, I am only speaking for panathinaikos, lets face it, if we werent cheap and didnt sell every player, we would have a team capable of at least a semi place.

Italian football RULES!!!! :nw:

14 runners up? :o And then they call the Italians LUCKY!!!! :o

Archived