Phantis Forums

The new coach - Rolf Fringer

Ziaka

Rolf Fringer has been officially introduced as the new coach of PAOK. Kostikos will serve as the technical advisor, and Nikos Michopoulos as the new goaltending coach. Incidently Michopoulos will have to coach players that are older than him!!!

With Anastasiadis gone, all kinds of interesting and probably some weird stories are going to be coming out. It is allready rumored that PAE PAOK is ready to sign Lakis to a contract worth around 200,000 Euro. Lakis will start practicing with the team the moment he signs the contract, so he could be ready to start playing for PAOK in January. It is also rumored that PAE PAOK is ready to sign two other players.

To start with I would like to say that I admire Anastasiadis. The reason I do is because he is an unconventional type of a coach. He says what is on his mind, and does not hide behind his words. This probably does not please a lot of people, especially the press, who can't get any dirt out of the team locker. However I also think that some of his stubbornes hurts him. Another reason I like him is that he is truly a PAOK fan that likes to help the team. Lets not forget that he took over PAOK at the moment when everyone had the team doomed and took them to 3rd place in the standings.

Having said after the disasters in the CL and UEFA Cup, something had to be done. I am not sure firing Anastasiadis was the best move though. I would have kept him until the end of the season. The more I learn, the more I think that PAE PAOK used him as a scapegoat for the problems that have roots in the amateurish way they run the team.

My prediction is that the new coach will not last long. After that I think Kostikos will take over. The team and front office will have major problems to deal with, specially if they go on a spending spree to buy players to please the angry fans.

Mark my words, Anastasiadis will be back bailing the team out within the next 2 years.

The sooner this guy takes a hike, the better.

The players probably realize this guy is in it for the short term...so what incentive wold they have to play well? It's not like they're going to be in UEFA (barring a miracle). This guy is a band aid solution to a deeper problem upstairs in the head office.

Beat it Fringer!

According to Spor tou Vorra, the financial arrangements are as follows.

Fringer has signed an 8-month contract ending on June 2005, and he will be paid 300,000 Euro for his services. PAE PAOK allready paid him half of this (150,000 Euro), when his signed the contract. Incidently at Apollon Lemessos he had a contract for 120,000 Euro for 16 months.

Interestingly Kostikos signed a 3-year contract with PAOK, which makes me to believe that eventually he will be the head coach.

Is Kostikos the guy... who was playing in the Greek NT in the 80ies ?

That's the guy. Te ex- PAOK, Olympiakos player.

There is a rumor, which I can't confirm, that after he transfered from PAOK to Olympiakos, during one of his first games in the Olympiakos jersey against PAOK gave the PAOK fans the finger after scoring against his old team.

Kostikos has been assigned as the coach to the U-19 national team by EPO, when they were handing out coaching dutes to all ex-players despite the fact that none of them had any coaching experience.

Well that sounds so reassuring. It sounds like the owners have really gone out of their way in doing their homework and picking out the "best" man for the job--a man who obviously had a great love for the team and its fans.

Man, this is getting funnier by the second.

That's the guy. Te ex- PAOK, Olympiakos player.

There is a rumor, which I can't confirm, that after he transfered from PAOK to Olympiakos, during one of his first games in the Olympiakos jersey against PAOK gave the PAOK fans the finger after scoring against his old team.

Kostikos has been assigned as the coach to the U-19 national team by EPO, when they were handing out coaching dutes to all ex-players despite the fact that none of them had any coaching experience.

Don't even mention that he played for Olympiakos. How many games did he play? He was there for his pension. It's like saying Domazos played for AEK.

Besides afterhe left PAOK he went to Diagoras of Rhodes who were in the first division back then and then went to Olympiakos.

It's one thing to be a good player, it's quite another to be a good coach. Many of sport's greatest players make awful coaches/managers.

Was he a good coach with the younger kids? Any stats or records of his other coaching experiences?

I know Petar Alexandrow.. too..... He had the nickname something like mobile man (Handyman)... Handy = Mobile here in Switzerland.

Because back 15 years ago , when the mobile phones were not so common..., he had always a mobile phone with him...also during team team meetings before the games...and he was fined a couple of times....

He is a Bulgarian and in the beginning he scored many goals here in Switzerland.

Ricardo Cabanas is a good mid-fielder... Spaniard by Origin... and he plays in Swiss NT... Sometimes he looses control in the games , so he is a "hothead"...

Last year he went to Quingamp.... (or something similar).... but came then back to Grasshoppers...

Grasshoppers is having right now.... one of the worst championship of the last 20 years.

PS. PAOK has a good reputation in the GC einvironment..... not due to their team.... but due to their fans..... Because in the last rencontre against GC... they left at Hardturm a remarkable presence and created a good atmoshpere in sterile Zurich..

It's quite possible that Fringer has contacted him....

• 1 month later...

Today in a big liberal Newspaper of Zurich (Tages-Anzeiger) was a large report of R.Fringer and PAOK..

A well known Swiss Journalist visited R. Fringer in Salonica last week-end.

So in the report was standing......

- Fringer looks PAOK as his big challenge....

- The incidents of the fans against the owner of PAOK

The newspaper wrote that they are angry because of non-tranfers

- R. Fringer and P. Alexander are not so pleased of Salpiggidis...because he missed to many chances in the last games

- Yesterday (Monday 8, November)... Fringer had a meeting with the President.

Fringer said. The President was rational and calm in his argumentation. But one could see , that he did not much sleep (President) in the night of Sunday.

- In that meeting the Presiden told to R. Finger ....that he is intending to do 3 - 4 transfers.

- And last but not least.... Fringer said....he said some days ago.....that he got 4-5 good players and the rest are hard-workers......... BUT the Salonica press wrote that he said..... He got 4-5 good players and the rest are bad....

That was it.......

- And last but not least.... Fringer said....he said some days ago.....that he got 4-5 good players and the rest are hard-workers......... BUT the Salonica press wrote that he said..... He got 4-5 good players and the rest are bad....

Welcome to the Greek reality ...

• 4 weeks later...

Archived