Phantis Forums

The Olympic venues

Ziaka

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

heh.... you see, I can go on and on. I can post all of the venues, I just don't have the time. The venues and stadiums ARE FINISHED. 3-4 sites remain with construction, which are all nearing the final stages of completion. They will be finished and tested come August. :) They have all been praised, they are WORLD CLASS, and are definatelty above those of boring old Sydney...... Test events have happend in many of them already, with athletes praising orginization and venues, I guess minus the shooting centre. :lol:

Shut up, sit down, and enjoy one of the most histoic, and glorious games you will ever see. They are returning HOME. No other host nation can EVER link the games to such a history, and have such an edge.... this is why people like you get worried, and invade Greek forums with jealosy, trying to justify how good your Olympics were (which they were, I enjoyed them) because you are scared of being outdone, and forgotton.....

Good day "mate", just enjoy...........

A very cool but ambitious stadium (considering the size of greece) but all in all one of the best Olympic Stadiums i have seen. I hope that all of the landscaping goes to scedual i also hope that it is finished intime for the games. I would like to point out that Sydney spent alot more money on landscaping and had alot more space to but art work, trees, exhibits and new age specticals. ZZThe stadium in know doubt very well completed and i like the idea of a COMPLETELY moving roof. With the quiet large developments made over the last few months, i have to ask though, why werent these steps taken a year age

The diving centre looks alot like the one at Sydney, i almost got confussed but still a very good facility

I am though concered about the sailing, swimming, and beach vollyball venues . I believe that it is critical to have a foor over the swimming pool (it creates a good atmosphere to, amoung other things) The last pictures of the sailing venue i saw was a sandy dusty marina, and have not been able to view any others

Another thing, i must ask, that , why do you call them Angelo buddies?? (And most ppl in OZ hate americans, and believe they are loud and arrigant)

One last thing, does any noe know where the Olympic torch is at the moment?

The whole Olympics are ambitious for a country the size of Greece, but one cannot measure the heart.... I can only judge when it all comes to an end, but I expect a great effort by my country. Thanks for the kind wishes.

The beach volleyball stadiums is in pictures above, I don't know what you are worried about with it? It looks amazing....

Sailing, Rowing, and Canoe/Kayak is finished or finishing up, here are some pics:

Schinias Olympic Rowing Centre (Pics from January 2004, you can only imagine the improvement since then.....)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

It seats 15,000 spectators. It is also a huge effort for the wildlife in this area, which is going to provide a huge park and rehabilitation of the area.

More pics in the following posts....

Olympic Canoe / Kayak Slalom Centre (Capacity 8.000) - Regarded as one of, if not, the best in the world

Posted Image

More pics (must see)

http://www.ana.gr/cgi-bin/hgetimgwww.jpg?-h748054

http://briefcase.pathfinder.gr/download/ap.../0/DSC00256.JPG

BONUS:

Shooting Centre

http://ana.gr/cgi-bin/hgetimgwww.jpg?-h751368

Baseball at Helliniko:

Posted Image

Hockey at Helliniko:

Posted Image

Not bad huh guys? :box:

G'day all,

Very different to the pics i have seen lately and over all some very good venues. The hockey stadium almost looks like the photo was computer generated , i looks very new. Obviously you guys spent every last dollar in applying the finishing touches to all of you venues, and to the days when the Olympics come around

Obviously Sydney and Athens are very different cities (Even though the climate is much the same) and not many difference can be pointed out.

I have found just one things that i believe Athens has disipointed me with. The area around the venues look very dry and very little trees have been planted compared to Sydney and Atlanta. Although this will not gravly effect the games i still think that it will influence how the spectators feel when arriving at the venues.

Despite this the velodrome looks very impressive and all the venues seem to have the same unique style about them, this was not show in some games held in the 70's and 80's

My favourite venue would be the velodrome, nothing like anything tied in an other city around the world

Finally, are any of the new stadiums older soccer facilities?

aaronaugi1,

This is why you can understand it's so fustrating for us Greeks.... the media is very negative towards Athens. Why? I don't know... many people have their own conspiracy theories. :lol: But it's like they WANT Athens to fail, and they try their best to give the WORSE image of the games.... If the media in general wanted, they could have us portrayed in a very nice light right now. But they leave out all the works, and positive aspects as I have shown you above. There are 3 Olympic Venues that are "behind" schedule. The Olympic Stadium, the Outdoor Pool and the Maraton route. But I have every confidence they will be completed in time, if you have followed the works, you would get the same feeling. They are working very hard. When a person sits down to right an article, they can either use the facts they have in a bad way, or a good way. Whichever spin they choose to use. And so far it has been the negative spin. I would say thats Athens orginizers fault in a way for two reasons. 1) Lack of promotion and selling the games. 2) Actual falling behind schedule, when work really should have been started earlier. But it is what it is, and you go with it. The closing ceremony, and saying the games were a success is all that really matters in the end, that seems to be the goal.

As for the greenary, I would agree with you. Keep in mind like Johnny said, trees, grass and the like are and will be put in really up untill August 13 I would think.... So there will be ALOT more. But even so, one problem Athens as a city has is it is a big concrete jungle. Greenary has been much neglected, with rapid growth in a small period of time led to poor city structering. The games have really given Athens a face lift, in many, many ways. And nature is one of them. More green is the goal. It doesn't look like they will accomplish what they intended, but it will definately be an upgrade, and probably even better after the Olympics also. ALot of landscpaing is and will be done. So it won't be this bad.

As for the venues, no none were old football stadiums. Except for a couple actual Olympic Football venues. One big thing was Helliniko, where you see the baseball, hockey etc.. that is were the home of the old Athens Airport use to be. Some is going to be used for the Olympics, and then made into a huge park after the Olympics. Supposedly the biggest park in Europe.... but lets see if that actually happens. ;) It would be just what Athens needs though.

Certainly Athens will put on a lovely games and, as the pictures show the games will be ready come the openning ceremony

Despite this, yesterday i read a news paper artical from media in New York, US, and London England

1. Stating that the main Olympic Stadium will not be finished and they still claim that only one side of the roof will be completed even though pictures have shown otherwise (NYC, US)

2. The others state that the Athens organising commitie took oout a insurace policy 300m US dollars in order to protect the games due to large terrorist threats connected with the healines "Games, Greek tradgedy or farcae"

Along with comments saying " bugjet over runs, imcomplete stages, snarling and polluted traffic, terrorist attack and withdrawing teams, what next?

I must agree with you that some people in many places would like to think that watching greece fail would be a good thing but they obviously do not know the real reason for hosting the games. Many peolle in Oz are in the mind set, that Sydney was so good, it will never be beaten, but going by my values each games should better the ones that had proceded it insuring that the games got better every time they were held.

1. Stating that the main Olympic Stadium will not be finished and they still claim that only one side of the roof will be completed even though pictures have shown otherwise (NYC, US)

There is no way I can know 100% for sure, but judging from what I have seen with my own eyes, and from what Greek and IOC Olympic Orginizers have said, it will be finished. Infact, I have just seen pictures where the blue glass itslef is starting to be put on!! :tup:

2. The others state that the Athens organising commitie took oout a insurace policy 300m US dollars in order to protect the games due to large terrorist threats connected with the healines "Games, Greek tradgedy or farcae"

This is true, but I believe this is something the IOC will be doing from now on... because of 9/11. They said they plan on doing the same with Beijing in 2008. We have the bad fortune of hosting the first games since 9/11. :(

Along with comments saying " bugjet over runs, imcomplete stages, snarling and polluted traffic, terrorist attack and withdrawing teams, what next?

Budget overruns are true, and they deserve every bit of it for the time they watsed. Incomplete stages only applies to a handful (3-4) of the 30 something venues... Traffic? They have built new highways, new roads, a metro, a tram, and the Olympic Athletes will be taken to venues by bus, which on the roads will have 1 lane open just for them. Not only that, but August is the month that Athenians take to vacation. Of the 4.5 million resdents, I would say at least 1.5 will be leaving during the games, about the same number of toursists comeing in... so it evens out. ;) terrorism cannot be predicted, it is a sad thing in this day and time. :( No teams have withdrawn yet. The Americans are considering, but in the end I doubt they will.

Again, the media tyring to bring us down....... :tdown: It gets very old.

First of all I would like to welcome you guys (Athens_2004 and aaronaugi1) in the forums (although a little late welcome :D ). Also thanks Athens_2004 for all the pictures and the info that you provide.

I was in Greece during Christmas and I have to say that I was a little worried. The biggest problem is that the organization was not able to give confidence to the people that everything will be ready on time. When you have the Greek newspapers and TV stations questioning the games, what do you expect from the international news?

This is a mistake that Athens2004 (the organization) did. They spend all that money on reporters and journalist that have on their payroll and they couldn't organize a "campaign" of paid articles in foreign newspapers that can show the progress and can assure the rest of the world that we are going to be ready.

...Budget overruns are true, and they deserve every bit of it for the time they watsed...

As for the budget overruns I am not so sure that are all of them justified, put this is something that we will learn more after the games.

I also agree that the budget over runs will justify them selfs, during the Sydney games the main stadium was only ment to cost around 450m Aussie dollars to build, yet blew out to $650m, Sydney had a very large debit to the government after the games, i am sure the same thing will happen in Athens but will be made up by tourism and usage of the venues after the games.

The velodrome is looking very cool and will watch out for in during August.

Along to the blue panels, they also look good but, on hot days will this cause heat problems because they dont completely stop the sun?

The greenery looks very different to that of other games. When i went to Sydney i didnt see one pine tree, Athens is full of them, which i would preffer.

Despite this, at the velodrome the roof is suspended above the ground alowing possible wind to get inside, and by knowlegde of other venues like this, would this wind swirl around inside and make things very hard for atheletes?

I am guessing that the long arched building in one of your pics is the train staion? or bus terminal?

The triathlon track i believe will be the best ever seen before, in the running part with Athens rich history through many buildings, i think it may lack in the swimming leg though.

One last thing it is very funny to see cars just scartered across the construction sites, lol

Along to the blue panels, they also look good but, on hot days will this cause heat problems because they dont completely stop the sun?

They have a special coating on them, that will deflect the sun and it's rays.

Despite this, at the velodrome the roof is suspended above the ground alowing possible wind to get inside, and by knowlegde of other venues like this, would this wind swirl around inside and make things very hard for atheletes?

Thats a very good question, I guess we will have to wait and see what they do. They have studied these things down to every last detail, so i'm sure they know what to do. Maybe they will close it? I don't know....

I am guessing that the long arched building in one of your pics is the train staion? or bus terminal?

Actually, that is the Agora designed by Calatrava. It is for Aesthetic value, it is actually the walkway which will link the OAKA Complex. Velodrome to Olympic Stadium, Tennis etc... so it's a walkway, which will have alot of greenary and performers, entertainment etc. This is what I hae hear anyway.

Hey what's up guys. I live in the United States and I hear all this crap about Ahtens not being ready for the Olympic Games and I have to defend them everytime. All I know is that when I am sitting under that great Olympic Stadium roof :nw: I will think of all of those that had something negative to say and laugh my ass off.

That's all for now. Who ever is taking those awesome pictures keep them coming man. I am saving most of them. :tup:

Archived