Phantis Forums

IAAF World Championship (Indoor)

Phantis

• 2 weeks later...

The first day of the World Indoor Championships brought a bronze medal for Greece. Georgios Theodoridis finished 3rd in the 60 meter dash final.

During the first day of the competition two new Greek records were broken. First Fani Chalkia ran the 400 meter race in 51.77 seconds during the qualifying round, and qualified to the semifinals. LAter on Christos meletoglou broke his own Triple Jump record by jumping 16.79 meters. Unfortunately that was not enough to place him in the finals of the competition.

The only other greek athlete that made finals was Chrisopigi Devetzi in the women's triple jump. She jumped 14.48 meters to make the finals. All the other Greek athletes produced disappointing results, and were disqualified from further competition.

Day two produced another bronze medal for Greece inthe World Championships in Budapest. Chrisopigi Devetzi finished third in women's triple jump with a jump of 14.73 meters.

Another succes came in the women's 400 meters, when Fani Chalkia managed to qualify to the final, where she finished in 6th place with 52.90 seconds. In the qualifying rounds Chalkia broke the Greek record in 400 meters with 51.68 seconds.

On the third day of the championships, Greece failed to get any medals, but had two placements in the finals. Flora Redoumi finished 7th in the 60 meter hurdles, while the 4x100 meter relay, the Greek women's team finished 6th.

• 8 months later...

9 Greek athletes will make the trip to Birmingham 

Men's

Kostas Douvalidis - 60m hurdles

Kostas Filippidis - Pole Vault 

Emmanouil Karalis - Pole Vault 

Miltiadis Tentoglou - Long Jump 

Women's

Rafalia Spanadouki - 60m 

Maria Belibasaki - 400m 

Elisavet Pesiridou - 60m hurdles

Voula Papachristou - Triple Jump

Ekaterini Stefanidi - Pole Vault 

Edited by Molon Lave

Greece will be represented by 9 athletes in Birmingham:

60 M HURDLES:  Kostas Douvalidis  (SKA Drama) - 7.69 sec. /7.60 sec.  (season's best / personal best)
POLE VAULT:  Kostas Filippidis  (PAnellinios Athens) - 5.85 m / 5.85 m
POLE VAULT:  Emmanouil Karalis  (GS Kifisia)  - 5.78 m / 5.78 m
Miltos Tentoglou - Long Jump (GS Grevena) - 7.95 m / 7.95 m

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
60 M: Rafaela Spanoudaki  (GS Ilioupolis) - 7.29 sec. / 7.29 sec.
400 M: Maria Belibasakis (Panaxxiakos AO) - 52.28 sec. / 52.28 sec.
60 M HURDLES:  Elisabet Pesiridou  (GS Kifisia)  - 8.11 sec. / 8.04 sec.
POLE VAULT: Katerina Stefanidi  (AO Filothei) - 4.83 m / 4.90 m
TRIPLE JUMP:  Paraskevi Papachristou  (AEK Athens) -  14.25 m / 14.47 m

I expect 1 medal (Stefanidi) from the Greek athletes. Anything else will be a big surprise and a big bonus.

Blackhawk, I think Papachristou and Filippidis would medal depending on how they perform and who are their competitors. 
Tentoglou and Karalis are very young and are not ready to medal at senior level yet. 
Spanoudaki and Belibasaki are making their debut in the IAAF World Indoor Championship. 
I notice that Maria Belibasaki has the 13th fastest time (52.28) among all the list of sprinters in the 400 m. I think she will surprise us, maybe reaching the finals. 

I still believe only Stefanidi will medal, and I am not sure it will be gold. Her 4.83 m is only 4th best this year and we now have the Russian in the competition making things even more complicated.

I give Filippidis sligh chance of cracking the top 3 but it will be very difficult. He will need to jump really well (over 5.90 m). Papachristou will also need to beat her best jump theis year (14.23 m) in order to finish in the top 5.

As for the others I give Tentoglou and Karalis a slight chance to make the finals.

Tentoglou and Karalis are in the finals, they got in by IAAF standards. 

Here is  the lineup for the event for the Greek athletes (Central Time) 

Friday, March 2
4:35 am - (Spanoudaki) Women's 60 m Heats
6:10 am - (Belibasaki) Women's 400 m Heats  
12:05 pm - (Pesiridou) Women's 60 m Hurdles Heats 
1:35 pm - (Tentoglou) Men's Long Jump

Saturday, March 3 
5:00 am (Papachristou) Women's Triple Jump
12:00 pm (Stefanidi) Women's Pole Vault 
12:30 pm (Douvalidis) Men's 60 m Hurdles Heats 

Sunday, March 4 
9:00 am (Filippidis and Karalis) Men's Pole Vault 

If Belibasaki reaches the finals, she will compete on Saturday 
If Pesiridou reaches the semifinals, she will compete on Saturday
If Douvalidis reaches the semifinals, he will compete on Sunday 

Edited by Molon Lave

The high jump performance from either genders we're very disappointing. Both Russians won gold. The others who got silver and bronze barely jump over 2 heights. We miss the good old days of Stefka Konstadinova or Javier Sotomayor. 

Spanoudaki will be running in Heat 5 of the 60 m, she has a long shot in qualifying for the semifinals. First 3 in each heat goes through along with the 6 fastest. Belibasaki is running in Heat 1 with other 4 other sprinters in the 400 m. She has a great chance to reach the semifinals. First 2 in each heat goes through along with the 6 fastest. Pesiridou is running in heat 1 of the 60 m hurdles. She has a decent chance to advance depending if she can finish in the top 4 for automatic spot or get one of the 4 fastest times as a 5th place finisher. I wish them all the best!

Edited by Molon Lave

Spanoudaki didn't make it out of the heat as she finished with a time of 7.40 
Belibasaki did however with a time of 52.27 (her personal best), in the semifinals she will have to finish the top 2 spots to qualify for the finals.

Edited by Molon Lave

Douvalidis goes to the semifinals with his seasons best of 6.77
Stefanidi gets bronze medal with her mark at 4.80, not the best performance from her overall. 

Edited by Molon Lave

Douvalidis misses the finals with a time of 7.68 
Karalis was very impressive with a strong performance finished 5th with a mark at 5.80 
Filippidis was quite disappointing as he finished 7th with a mark  at 5.70 

Pretty much as I expected. Stefanidi will have hard time finishing on top in the future if she does improve and start jumping 4.90m on regular basis.

Filippidis did as I expected. Just like Stefanidi he will need to start jumping 5.90m regularly to have any chance. He is not getting any younger, so I think his best days are behind him.

I was really surprised by Karalis. The kid will slowly replace Filippidis at the top.

Good showing by Belibasaki and too bad she was DQed from the final.   

• 4 years later...