Phantis Forums

Oly, Aek,Panath vs West Syd, Adel and Melb City FFA puts up $250k

Australian Football wont compete anytime soon with the rest we are miles behind, our NT is doing ok but we saw the world cup how far behind we are and I have said many times the FFA and its curriculum suck big time, we don't produce the players that we used to and we wont with this m*****a curriculum.

Amo I went and did my B Licence recently and one of the things they said is we don't believe in beach training, so I replied why is that, we see the best stars from South America grow up playing on beaches but you guys here don't believe in it, it is because the dutch don't have beaches? And they honestly didn't reply to me.

Following another nations curriculum like we have done here (dutch style) doesn't help here, those dutch and European curriculums work for them because those kids train 4-5 nights a week, here we are lucky to train kids 3 nights a week....

I don't agree with a lot of the things they try to implement to us coaches, telling us to play 4-3-3 yet our NT plays a different style.

I changed my formation this season back to the old 4-4-2 diamond because everyone is doing the same thing, playing out from the back to their #6 then out side to wingers, they can do that all they like I just go through the middle with my boys and its worked wonders for us so far, teams can defend it because they are used to defending the 4-3-3.... They make out its a crime to not play 4-3-3....

For all the problems Greece has it is still a mile ahead of Australia, no comparison. Fornaroli, Barbarouses and Burns all struggled in Greece but dominate in Australia. Apart from 4-5 sides the A League is nothing. Teams like CCM should have been relegated a long time ago.

Exactly. These guys you mention are the obvious ones. Especially Fornaroli. He was brought as a "gun" from Sampdoria where he did nothing because Jesualdo Ferreira the PAO coach at the time rated him for some reason.

Anyway, a year later, everyone at PAO realised that the guy wasn't PAO nor Super League quality and released him and thus saving about 550k euro a year. He then went back to Uruguay where he didn't exactly set that league on fire and eventually makes it to the A-League where he is the first play to reach 20 goals in a season and also he has the record of scoring against every team in a single season.

The league speaks for itself. The quality of football is about Greek Football League standard at it's best.

I watched AEK play against Sydney FC and it was a stroll for them. Burns looked a step above the Sydney FC players because his team mates made him look good. At the time Sydney FC were the benchmark in the league too.

For all the problems Greece has it is still a mile ahead of Australia, no comparison. Fornaroli, Barbarouses and Burns all struggled in Greece but dominate in Australia. Apart from 4-5 sides the A League is nothing. Teams like CCM should have been relegated a long time ago.

Exactly. These guys you mention are the obvious ones. Especially Fornaroli. He was brought as a "gun" from Sampdoria where he did nothing because Jesualdo Ferreira the PAO coach at the time rated him for some reason.

Anyway, a year later, everyone at PAO realised that the guy wasn't PAO nor Super League quality and released him and thus saving about 550k euro a year. He then went back to Uruguay where he didn't exactly set that league on fire and eventually makes it to the A-League where he is the first play to reach 20 goals in a season and also he has the record of scoring against every team in a single season.

The league speaks for itself. The quality of football is about Greek Football League standard at it's best.

I watched AEK play against Sydney FC and it was a stroll for them. Burns looked a step above the Sydney FC players because his team mates made him look good. At the time Sydney FC were the benchmark in the league too.

• Like it 1

I think Fornaroli is great for the A League though, he didn't come here for a holiday like other marquees have done and he's doing his job and scoring goals, cant fault the guy for this.

AEK made FC look like school kids, the A League will never be at the level of the Greek League and we are seeing the Greek League as its worst ever in terms of teams and financing.

i bumped into a junior coach at a family function last week.

he has worked with MVFC youth set up and two NPL clubs...

He said I am one of the few people that 'gets it'...

the NPL clubs need coaches with certain qualifications....to be part of the NPL...So they 'fund' this by parents forking out huge dollars...

The clubs do not invest on  juniors...as they have no incentive..

Can't sell players nor get promoted...so they have no money to invest in juniors...

the clubs are forced to play

the system...'the dutch system'........ out to the no.6 etc etc....

yet the kids do not have the same grounding as the kids in Holland....

In Holland the clubs cull kids at age 7/8....we are still in the 'well done Johnny' phase at age 12/13.....'don't make them work too hard..don't make them cry...mummy will give you a hug'....

Brimbank Stallions brings out Juve accredited coaches for school holiday programs...the coaches are shocked at the standard...

He told me there are kids in the MVFC youth academy, with great talent an d ability...but they 'don't fit the system'???

we can go on forever on this...

Your so right you know, you wouldn't have any hesitation in putting your house on the line cause you have no doubt, right? I'm an armchair warrior like you too.

My comments were not dismissive or rude..

I just don't see this as being possible in a realistic nor practical manner.....

In australia today they are after the 'marketable' big ticket opponents to sell tickets....

Greek clubs would not come here for pre season unless its properly funded....its too expensive otherwise...

Aussie clubs would not go to greece as its too far ....

so its unlikely..

although..Oly ,Iraklis and AEK have been here twice in the last 40 years..

PAOK once so too Aris,(1980s) and Atromitos....(1970s).

South Melbourne did play in Greece in 1991..

Any possible match ups would be limited to ALeague...the difference between GSL clubs and NPL clubs is beyond any meaningful/realistic match up..

Having said that...I am not a fan of meaningless exhibition friendlies...they don't gauge anything....they are a PR exercise..

Be great if Australia joined UEFA...And MVFC played a UCL game at Karaiskaki or OAKA.... :D

I was sitting behind the benches and can definitely recall a few men in suits walking over to the olympiakos bench after the 3-0 went in after 15 minutes, Oly noticeably dropped off from that point on, none of us know what was said but you would think the message went out to them to cool off, if they were allowed to go at it for 90 minutes I have no doubt they would have put 10 past victory.

I'm not gonna lie most gsl games are painful to sit through, entertainment wise the A league probably wins out, the thing is the new dawners actually think that makes the Australian league better, I remember the argument a few years ago that Brisbane roar would beat Stoke city cos they play better football and Stoke just hoof it, these clowns of course failing to realise that technically every Stoke player was on average 5 levels above the quality of an A league player and the difference being that Tony pulis directed his team to play that style, just because a team plays long ball it doesn't mean they have garbage players, but that's the level of idiots we are dealing with here. Aek proved the sheer gulf in technical ability when they came here.

In fact you would notice in this country we always go through phases, first it was the Dutch craze, now Spanish is all the rage, when Ange postecoglou was coaching Brisbane playing a long ball was considered a sin, this year it's all about flares...we go through these little annoying buzz stages. Meanwhile in the real world of football (Europe) teams are scraping for titles, European spots and throwing everything on the line to avoid relegation, whilst here the same bat s%$#! boring teams play eachother every 3 weeks and teams like central coast can lose 100 games in a row and still be in the top flight.

The latest classic on Fornaroli is a laugh, apparently he couldn't score goals in Greece because panathinaikos never had a midfielder of the caliber of Aaron mooy to feed him LOL...the same Aaron mooy that couldn't cut it in Scotland ffs.

Honestly sometimes I wish we could just press the reset button and go back to the 90s and have the NSL, at least we enjoyed it for what it was and never compared our local heroes to global players or our clubs to global giants, here in Melbourne we all loved Paul Trimboli for eg but nobody would ever claim he was world class or anything, he was just a gun for Australian soccer and we loved him for it, I miss those days when everything felt real, nowadays everyone is trapped in fantasy land and listening to it does my head in.

• Like it 5

Arnold is a F***en tosser, I could tell you stories of how he has destroyed Greek players careers here and also told a certain family of brothers they would never play for the NT ever again when they were all at the old Northern Spirit team and what do you know those guys never played for the NT even when one of them was best player in the country. But if you are part of the clicka here you will always get gigs to coach

• Like it 1

Arnold only looked good at Mariners because Mckinna built that team. Arnold is no coach he is a fraud. But he has everyone backing him up and that's why he has been there for so long, he is very powerful within FFA.

Aurelio Vidmar is another kreas example.

Yet mounia like Foster go on tv and bag Ange for not doing well with the young squads, why didn't Foster say anything to Vidmar? Because they are all the same clicka.

Ange did the best thing when he failed with the younger boys, went overseas learnt his trade at a few clubs and now look at him.