Phantis Forums

Auxerre - Panathinaikos

tihio10

Btw Ive also read, not just today but yesterday as well that Halkias will be starting ahead of Nikopolidis. Do we have a reasoning/explanation on this. I think it had something to do with the style of Auxerres attack etc etc, but can anyone shed light on this positonal switch!?

:o :huh: :huh:

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I bought it, and nothing works, you see 1 picture and hear sound..... and my connection is very fast with a fast machine. it does work on occasion, i watched the second half of Rangers - PAO and some goals from the Juve game a couple years back...

anyways you cant see the game without seeing the result first....

I read today that PAO is worried about Nikopolides having agreed terms with the Gay to go there in the summer.

I hope it's not true.

He's been a vazele forever. I hope that if he leaves he goes abroad...Oh, I read that Boumsong didn't fracture his skull, it was his left eyesocket. When he hit the ground he was seeing double, then went blind for a bit...He's got a fracture and some bone trauma in the region as well...How nice... :blink:

French press Mercredi 25 Février 2004

C'est une equipe remarquablement equilibree, stricte dans le jeu et inventive dans l'offensive"

"It is a team remarkably balanced, strict in the game (meaning disciplined) and inventive in the offense"

Le technicien auxerrois a ete notamment tres impressionne par Papadopoulos :

We are worse than last year, so far, but have been recovering as of late and are getting back our injured players.

Munch has made Fyssas departure almost unnoticeable lately, even though I would still prefer Panagioti over Marcus...

Dimitri Papa has been a revelation and a great replacement for Niko Lybe.

The big gap is in the middle, where Kara and Kolkka are missed very much, they are irreplaceable by the current players...and in coaching where Scum is far worse than Markarian, both in tactics and psychology.

nicely put but a couple of points...

I assure you know one misses Fyssas, he gave 100% than us but Munch is by far a superior player attacking wise with pin-point crosses and continuous running.

Fyssas is a better defender and more of strength but we can atleast penetrate from our left had side cos, going forward, Fyssas left alot to be desired for.

I don't know where you get that Markarian is a better coach and better at psychology than Shum? The team is getting better and better, scoring more goals and playing alot more attractive football. I don't see any of the players complaining about Shum either.

I pretty much agree with everything else you say.

i think makarian is better fit for our team...he has done wonders with the team when he has lead us...i dont know if he is a better coach, but he is better fit for our team...as for fyssas...he was great for us but yes munch has been wonders attacking and always works his heart out...fyssas did not really need to attack because we have had kolkka in the past..both players are great but have different strengths and weaknesses....trifilli...nice post (for the second time...pao-13.com....) haha, ill respond the same way

"thanks for the translations tryfilli...the big day is tomorrow boys"

Fysass was a liability on the left flank in the time that he was with Pao. Many games were lost, by his inability to defend the left flank, as he always got caught going forward.

His defensive abilities were questionable, remember that great peice of artistry against Barcelona in neucamp that allowed barca back in the game. I never forgave him for that.

If he was such a great player, then why can't he get a starting line-up in benefica team. The recent derby with porto, he wasn't even on the bench. Munch is a far better player than him, with more technical and defensive capabilities.

He does the job required in that postion and lets not forget he is not a spring chicken. So the old man is ok!

The game with auxerre tonight will show how much this team has matured after the slow start in the season. This will show if shums tactics have worked with this side.

I beleive as a team will are better side than auxerre, as we are more experienced in european competition. As long as our experienced players do their part on the night, Auxerre want find it easy as they did in the beginning of the year.

It's probably an advantage for us, if they think of us as easy beats.

Its definately an advantage for us to go in as underdogs, and I believe it is something PAO has shown over the years that it thrives on situations and European nights like these. It looks like we are all united on this so lets hope we see the European PAO play tonight.

Going back to the issues raised, I too believe Munch is superior to Fyssas, however Munch too cant be caught too far forward in possesion, bc as you said Green he is no spring chick so he will be caught for pace.

An interesting point was however made and I have see a split in view here...and that is who was/is a better coach - Markarian or Shoum. Tactically, Shoum leaves alot to be desired. Markarian, as me and my friends like to call him the General, was very good with the teams psychology and was I believe tactically advanced. It was these two strengths of his that managed him to bring us very close (sadly) to a title, yet he took us on a European rollercoaster some of us will never forget.

Credit where credit is due. We suffered a mass exodus, if you will, at the end of last season with many firts team regulars leaving, and we brounght in a number of new faces. And Shoum. Not only has he had to face a language barrier, a transition to another country, the Gate 13 boys, but he had to gell a number of players to together, rely on an unexperienced playmaker (Sanmartean - whom does have a tremedous amount of potential) and face stiff criticism without even a days work. Plus a tight PAO budget.

He has done a great job so far, and with the new additions in January, which included young faces and a certain Eki, he arguably may even have a better squad than Markarian did. He certainly has the backing of Tzigger, I mean none of us thought he would last more than two Champions League games, and he definately has put the 5-0 drubbing at Old Trafford behind him.

Tactically, I simply think his boring. I find the 3-6-1 system of his very robust, it relies heavily on two midfielders, mainly your DM and your playmaker, and it makes our wingers look like 3rd Division wingbacks in England just running up and down. I may face stiff criticism for this but I just think he lacks creativity in his tactics.

Going back to the Auxerre game, I hope he gets it right, not just for us and the entire lao of PAO, but he has put in endless effort to the team and I think its time he starts to reap the rewards. As for the 11 on the park, we all know them, and they wont stop for 90 minutes, PAO styles, I just pray Basinas doesnt spray long balls forward all night long! lol

Pame mori Arrwsteia!!!!!!!

An interesting point was however made and I have see a split in view here...and that is who was/is a better coach - Markarian or Shoum. Tactically, Shoum leaves alot to be desired. Markarian, as me and my friends like to call him the General, was very good with the teams psychology and was I believe tactically advanced. It was these two strengths of his that managed him to bring us very close (sadly) to a title, yet he took us on a European rollercoaster some of us will never forget.

Credit where credit is due. We suffered a mass exodus, if you will, at the end of last season with many firts team regulars leaving, and we brounght in a number of new faces. And Shoum. Not only has he had to face a language barrier, a transition to another country, the Gate 13 boys, but he had to gell a number of players to together, rely on an unexperienced playmaker (Sanmartean - whom does have a tremedous amount of potential) and face stiff criticism without even a days work. Plus a tight PAO budget.

He has done a great job so far, and with the new additions in January, which included young faces and a certain Eki, he arguably may even have a better squad than Markarian did. He certainly has the backing of Tzigger, I mean none of us thought he would last more than two Champions League games, and he definately has put the 5-0 drubbing at Old Trafford behind him.

Tactically, I simply think his boring. I find the 3-6-1 system of his very robust, it relies heavily on two midfielders, mainly your DM and your playmaker, and it makes our wingers look like 3rd Division wingbacks in England just running up and down. I may face stiff criticism for this but I just think he lacks creativity in his tactics.

Going back to the Auxerre game, I hope he gets it right, not just for us and the entire lao of PAO, but he has put in endless effort to the team and I think its time he starts to reap the rewards. As for the 11 on the park, we all know them, and they wont stop for 90 minutes, PAO styles, I just pray Basinas doesnt spray long balls forward all night long! lol

Pame mori Arrwsteia!!!!!!!

I agree with everyhting you say in your 1st two paragraphs on assessing Shum excpet for the part you say he leaves alot to be deisred. Let's make that judgement at the end of the season and with the crunch games to come.

I dissagree with your 3rd paragraph, because we simply play alot more attractive football this year and are scoring a hell of alot more goals than last year, our passing is alot more slick but we must also note that Markarian did not have the currect players which are more gifted in offence than the players we had the previous years. Our attack is much more better this year but at times our defence leaves alot to be disired for, not because the players are bad, but because they have alot more pressure to put up with since Karagounis is not there to hustle them in the midfield.

Anyway, Shum has got the thumbs up from me thus far :tup:

I think PAO played the best football under Anastasiadis. That season we finished top of the CL group and beat Arsenal. Then we gave Man U the biggest scare of their European life at Old Trafford.

I am not saying Anastasiades is a better tactician than Markarian but he had good effect on that team.

Anyway, I have a feeling when Schum goes sooner or later, the replacement will be Baevic.

I think PAO played the best football under Anastasiadis. That season we finished top of the CL group and beat Arsenal. Then we gave Man U the biggest scare of their European life at Old Trafford.

I am not saying Anastasiades is a better tactician than Markarian but he had good effect on that team.

Anyway, I have a feeling when Schum goes sooner or later, the replacement will be Baevic.

Kirastas was coach in the games vs Arsenal. Anastasiadis was against Juventus.

here are the line up

Auxerre 1 Cool 2 Radet 5 Mexes 6 Violeau 8 Lachuer 9 Cissé 10 Tainio 12 Mignot 13 Grichting 15 Kalou 23 Kapo

Bench

16 Hamel

11 Akalé

20 Gonzalez

25 Recorbet

27 Sirieix

28 Poyet

Panathinaikos

12 Chalkias 2 Henriksen 3 Morris 5 Seitaridis 6 Münch 8 Goumas 11 Papadopoulos 14 Zutautas 20 Basinas 22 Sapanis 35 Michaelsen

Bench

1 Nikopolidis

10 Epallé

16 Kyrgiakos

18 Sanmartean

19 Konstantinou

23 Olisadebe

27 Pantelis Konstantinidis

Archived