Phantis Forums

Auxerre - Panathinaikos

tihio10

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i agree with Kal... Auxerre r a good good team and im still not sure that pao r doing as well as we think..... i think were gonna get riped if we take this lightly n our fans should b aware of this coz lets face it were da under dogs meaning were shiter then them... hopefully will win n advance but chances r 35/65 of us going through ;)

This game for me is even more important than the gauro game

If PAO advances, it will only be the second time this year(since Rangers) that we beat a good team...

If the unthinkable happens, and PAO is out, it will be a hard psychological blow for the team!

That same kind of blow that caused the loss to gauro and the league last year. :tdown:

I am convinced that if PAO had gone through Porto, we would have been Greek champions and Uefa finalists. :tup:

I am quite conservative in my prediction, because I have seen how Auxaire has beaten good teams and PAO strugles to win in Greece

May the European PAO return and show us the real strength of our team :nw:

PEACE

Theres such a thing as showing our opponents respect bc we appreciate talent and quality. But honestly gents, I believe weve over done it here. We are all scared should i say or showing fear of Auxerre. Yes, we are not performing at our peak, we all can see that, but my point is Auxerre are no super power either. Yes they have good players, Cisse is incredible, but we have answers. Our strike force is just as good, and with Manoli back it will be feared.

At the end of the day its 11 against 11 and the best team will win. Lets play our own game (or Shoums) and not worry whether or not Auxerre have been knocked out of the French Cup and who plays in their srike force or there defenders.

The tickets for the PAO-AUXERRE game are being sold, but I am not so sure if somebody should buy tickets before the Game in France! There is a big chance that we might get hammered there, so I would consider it a good move to wait and see what happens in the first leg, and then get the tickets....

By the way these are the prices for those interested:

Gates:

3B: 120 euro

10: 100 euro

1,12: 45 euro

I think gates 5,7 will be 45 euros as well , and gate 7 around 35 euros....

Here's an interesting interview from Akis Zikos about his thoughts about Auxerre To BHMA

Auxerre drew 0-0 tonight against Bastia and the good news for PAO is that Boumsong will be out of both ties as he was stretchered off. to add to that Auxerre have not won in their last 3 games and they definately seem to have dropped the form they were showing a couple months ago scoring 4 and 5 goals a game.

Gonzales is 99% not eligible and it seems that Zutautas will take his place. It's interesting to see if Demba will start again. This will depend on Constantinou having recovered from the knock he took on his knee or if Shum will risk Olisadebe who only has 45 and 25 mins behind him against Gloria Bistrita and Iraklis. Hopefully though Mixalakh will be fit again because Demba Nyren, although he played ok today against Iraklis he's not ready to start in such an important game.

Another thing that should be lingering on Shum's mind is playing Sanmartean instead of Michaelsen to make Auxerre think twice of attacking too much.

Then again he might bring in Zutas for Equi and Lucian for Demba and play him further forward, just behind Dimi. (3-6-1)

From the moment Equi isn't playing my ideal midfield would be With Lucian instead of Zutas. The reason for that is if we only play with Dimi upfront the French will kick the daylights out of him just like the Ionikos and Stuttgart players did he simply needs another guy to worry the French defence too.

Yet again he might play 5-3-2 and bring in Kotsios or Vintra (Kirgiakos isn't fully ready and Morris is with the S.African Olympic team) to man-mark with Goumas the 2 Auxerre strikers with Henriksen in his customary sweeper role, cleaning up the bits and pieces.

As you can see it's all pretty much in liquid form at the moment and obviously Shum and Christodoulou know Auxerre alot better than us. Hopefully the choices they make will be the correct ones.

So, c'mon boys! Give us another one of those familiar "European Nights" :nw:

evergreen...i also think it would be smart for shoum to get basinas to man-mark kapo tightly...he is the key that unlocks their attack....without him, cisse will have a difficult time...he plays a very deco type role which basinas has shown he can fight against...kapo is alittle fancier then deco and maybe alittle more skilled, but not nearly as hard working...they also have a holding central midfielder name Taino(sp??) he is a finnish player but is the backbone of the midfield...he is not a fancy player and does not get light shown on him, but he is the backbone of the midfield....he, as well as the rest of the defense get caught out of position EXTREMELY easily so we need to look for quick counter attcks to catch them off guard..especially in france...whatever we do, we definilty should NOT put goumas on cisse...goumas is a good defender and will help with high balls and cutting passes out but cisse is much much quicker then goumas and would be able to turn on him like its his job...cisse roams alot, so our defense needs o keep their eyes open....henrkisen has t owatch him like a hawk and keep the defenders tight and together...if we cut off his midfield supply, i dont think he will be able to hurt us...

I saw some highlights against Iraklis..............and from that I can say PAO is in a very good form......and I m optimistic that they can pass Auxerre.......

Did you see he let play Xalkias for Nikopolidis ....without that Nikopolidis is injured.....

Last week I was watching an interview of Felix Magath.........he was talking about the first CL tight VfB Stuttgart - PAO............ he said .. he saw the weak point of PAO :

the defense facing high balls......... therefore he ordered his players to play high crosses into PAO's defense............. and truly ..both goals have been conceeded by high balls ....this could be the reason ....for Xalkias playing.

Seriously paidia, you can bag me all you want however I see a Zuta doing us a big job in France. With Basinas holding the midfield, and Basinas mind you needs to have a blinder of a game because lets face it, our midfield to work needs him in form, Zuta can back him up. They have been playing with each other long enough to understand each others game. The key point here is they are both defensive midfielders, so therefore both together, and I stress togethere, will be, "should" be able to withstand most of the Auxerre attacks. Now, if these two do there jobs this will seriously limit the effect of Cisse.

Now, if we were to play Zuta and Basinas, lets face it, Shum will play them both we all know it, Id say its a good bet he plays a 3-6-1 system. The trick here is will he play Lucian or Mihalis. Pap will play upfront, alone or not Pap will fight for 90 minutes. He has to. Lucian is most suited coming off the bench in France. It will suit him more that way. By than, we will be soaking up alot of the Auxerre attacks that it will be time to hit them badly on the counter, and with no Eki, who better to start counter attacking than Lucian. In my mind is also Michaelsen. He HAS to work that right wing of his like no tomorrow, bc the middle of the park will be a battle of the defensive midfielders of PAO (Basinas and Zuta) versus the pl;aymakers.

Same with Sapanis. He can do the similar role however on the left and he is much more lethal in the box. He can get wide and cut in which has been his main strength this season, cutting in. Shooting, crossing, running up and down that flank, he has no fear. Same with Basinas, he has absolutely no fear of shooting from distance. Thats what we need, especially in the first half. Even set pieces will be key to us. We need everything we can get.

I agree, Goumas cannot play against Cisse, Id say a Vyntra or even maybe a Kyriagkos, too early perhaps but in Athens he could definately d o the job.

Now the riddle is on Konstantinou and Manoli. How will they feature. Ideally Id like only Mihali to start and Manoli to feature later. Mihali and yes I know I will cope some criticism from Evergreen will be alot sharper and lethal than Manoli. We need that sharpness if we are too break on the counter. And Mihalis is the type of player to go and try and win ANY kind of ball that comes his way.

All in all, my worry of this game will be how Basinas and Zuta will operate together, the game will basically be won in that dual, and our wingbacks. Im always stressing this, and Im always worried. Seitaridis is a great player, I love watching him run forward, I hate him jogging back once his caught in possesion and I refer you all to Stuttgart in Athens, 3-1. Munch is great, technically competent, however I also question his physical contributions on the field. If they can hold their positions we should be in for a vital draw. And an away goal would be a great bonus.

Come on PAO!

However, if we can predict more or less what Shoum is going to play, imagine what Auxerre have on us.

Auxerre drew 0-0 tonight against Bastia and the good news for PAO is that Boumsong will be out of both ties as he was stretchered off. to add to that Auxerre have not won in their last 3 games and they definately seem to have dropped the form they were showing a couple months ago scoring 4 and 5 goals a game.

You never want to play a fallen giant, especially in European soccer!

Naaa Adonis, I hope Constanitou will be ready because poor old Dimi will have lumps kicked out oh him again. We definately need Mixalakh for some Greco-Roman wrestling with Mexes, hold the ball to give the defence some breathers and bully the Auxerre boys with his presence.

ps Demba Nyren is not playing because he is ineligable having played for Lefski in the Euefa cup. Good news though is Morris is back from the South African Olympic team and I think is the perfect player to man-mark Cisse because he is fast our fastest defender and has been in pretty good nick the past couple months.

yes...morris is in the team which is a big plus because kyriakos is definilty not ready to start as he has not seen many minutes so far...for the return leg he shuld be ready, but i cant see him being able to in 2 days...vyntras is also very young and though he is very promising and i like him alot has no euro experence what so ever...morris would be our best bet i think...michali will have to play a big role...he is a star for us in europe and lets hope he conitnues..he will need to battle mexes and i think he will do a good job..he is bigger then the young frenchman and hopefully can throw him around at will and open up space for pap to run through and do some magic...the absents of boumsong will help and hurt us...i dont know who will replace him but boumsong is a very attacking minded defensemen...he get caught out of posisition very easily which would have been good for us because they are weka on counter but to refute that.. he is very very skilled player and i think his absence will be felt...we pretty mich just need to block them off between the forwards and midfield...i think if we stop kapo and cut off taino, we should be okay....

I probably shoulda brought this up a few days ago but I'm lazy so here goes. I watched the first 20 minutes of the Auxerre/Lyon day from last week and I must say that the only thing that we will dominate them on is the counterattack. Lyon scored within the first 10 minutes off of an OG because of it. Mexes led a counterattack up the middle, they lost possession, Luyindula took a shot that hit a defensemen and went in. There was a bit of chaos seconds before the goal and I can say that it was because Mexes had been caught upfield. Therefore, Basinas or Zuta will have to use their muscle to keep him up there at times. That'll surely leave Mihalaki open at times. Still, there will be lots of groping between them :whistle: :lol:. I think one or the other will get a card. Papa will take the beating for sure, but I think he can take anybody on now that Boumsong's gone. I'm not so sure that we should start Lucian. No doubt he's in tremendous form right now, but he has consitently proven that he can't play successfully in Europe. I really hope he proves me wrong though. Whoever plays right wing will have their hands full with Kapo because he's very smooth and has some nice dribbling skills. Hopefully Yourka has him tied up. It won't be easy but I think that this game will be a very very passionate, hard-fought one that could have been a quarterfinal or even semifinal. I'm gonna go with 2-2 away with goals from Papa and Konstantinou(thus the need to make a new sig :D). Last thing, I woulda done you all the favor of finding out what the talk was about on the Auxerre site is since I speak French, but it's "under re-construction" so that's a no-go. Sorry lads...

I have a feeling that Kyrgiakos is the only man that can handle Cisse on our team. Morris is too short, Henriksen is too old, and Goumas is not fast enough. Kyrgiakos played the full 90 minutes against gloria and he played very well. If i was shum i would start kyrgiakos and if he gets tired fast you can always sub him out. The only way we can advance is with defence.

Archived