Phantis Forums

SL-R34: Panionios - PAOK FC (10-May-15, 19:00 GR)

Blackhawk

Hopefully next season will see a significant improvement. Would like to see him get significantly more playing time. Thankfully we have him for a while, and he's not on crazy high wages (unlike some flops we could name).

What a joke of a game. What a joke Panionios is. The team did not even apply for a license to play in Superleague, but they are still part of it.

And finally what a joke PAOK has become. We had a chance to finish 2nd in the standings, but could not beat Giannina at home, and then could not do anything against Panionios. The funny thing will be if by miracle Olympiakos gets punished by UEFA and is not allowed to play in Europe, Panathinaikos will take their place in the group stage of CL, when it could have been PAOK.

As for the playoffs, I don't give us much hope. We have so many injuries. Let's just hope Olympiakos wins the cup, so we are not left out of Europe.

Sensational red card for Panionios. Super tackle by their number 3, given a yellow card for some reason that wont be discussed in the PAO corruption thread.. and then I think he swore at the ref and got a second yellow. Glad I didn't put any money on this game. Game on.

Why do you say this? Are you implying the red card was to benefit PAO? You did realize that a Panionio win or tie would give us 2nd spot right? How does them losing a player help us achieve this?

• Like it 1

I had this game playing on my laptop and Chelsea v Liverpool on the tv. somehow, Chelsea v Liverpool--which involved one team that already had their domestic league title wrapped up and their season virtually over while the other was an underachieving side, not a particularly good watch this season, now playing for an outside chance at a champions league spot--managed to be more compelling to watch than a PAOK game. I seriously wondered if I am losing it, but I realize coming here seeing what you guys are saying that the problem is not just with PAOK and myself. this match was perhaps merely the most obviously unwatchable one (for this PAOK fan) in a while and so it magnified the problems that Greek football suffers from.

so does watching the prem (or the bundesliga, or la liga, or whichever you prefer) week in and week out, but that's another matter.

the good, honest effort and compete level were better from a team playing for absolutely nothing (on paper) than they were for PAOK who, admittedly, probably let this season get away because they're even more fed up with this crap than I am, having to live it in their daily lives.

I guess higher effort and a high compete level are to be expected from the best players in the best league, regardless of the match, which is part of why they are the best. but yesterday I realized that it is very hard to watch that and then try and get into today's GSL.

we are finished, like burnt toast. either we scrape off the charred portion (up to and including the relevant members of EPO, if not the whole org) and salvage something from the pure elements that remain (the idea of competitive football for its own sake; the platonic form of football) or we throw it out and try again.