Phantis Forums

New Greek Channel Package Platform.

• Replies 543
  • Created
  • Last Reply

DKSat,

Do you know what the status is for ERT World- will it continue to be available on Dish or is it going to be exclusive on Home2US?! It would be a real coup if GMG snatched ERT World away from Dish Network.

I doubt ERT will leave an established platform for an untested one. If MEGA and ALTER's catastrophic decision to leave DISH for someone who would dump them unceremoniously four years later taught ERT anything, I hope it taught them that. Notice how since they were burned once with Directv they never tried it the second time (unlike MEGA).

I hope it taught them that. Notice how since they were burned once with Directv they never tried it the second time (unlike MEGA).

In fairness, MEGA was not distributed by the same company back then as they are now. They were not happy with the way Dish was treating them so they took a risk and went to the competition. You could argue it was probably not the smartest move but they are well within their right to do as they please.

As for ERT, things appear to change on a daily basis with these clowns. One day Dish has the rights to ERT World, the next its PCCW Global and now it might be GMG- who the hell really knows with these people?!

If I recall what was written, part of the PCCW Global deal was to get ERT on multiple providers, so I think they will be on both. I don't think GMG has anything to do with their rights, just like when they had Alpha on their site only because they were on the same platform. But like you said who knows with these people.

Edit: Found an article from back then: http://www.satleo.gr/content/view/3231/ It says that PCCW promised ERT an annual profit of 650,000 euro as opposed to the 350,000 euro loss ERT was taking. In order to make that much profit, I assume they plan to offer the channel on a number of providers. We are their cash cows.....

ERT World will continue on Dish Network.

These days there so much going on you have IPTV, Satellite, Cable, Telcos I phones no channel sings exclusive rights with one provider.

DKSat

I know DK said that Home2us is a done deal, but apparently people are calling into Dish to request Mega, and the Greek department is taking requests for it and now telling people they will know by the 21st if they are getting it or not. Are they still negotiating, or is this just a customer service tactic of some sort?

Hi. I'm new to the forum. I just became a registered user today, but I have been following the forum since November 2006, when DKSat posted that a Greek channel would be leaving Dish Network (of course, as we all know the channel was Mega jumping over to Directv). By the way DKSat, you really know your stuff. Thanks for all the information that you have posted on the forum. Don't ever leave us.

Anyway, I have some interesting information. I e-mailed Home2US this morning and asked about if Greek programming is starting transmission on April 1st. I got a quick response from them and this is what they wrote me:

We thank you for contacting Home2US with your inquiry below. As of today, our Customer-Care Group has no information about Greek channels becoming available through our distribution network. Information pertinent to new channel launches is announced on our website and on our affiliates' websites. So, as you indicated, this is only a rumor that you must have heard.

Thank you again for contacting us.

Regards,

Home2US Customer Care

Can anyone shed some light on this?

Information pertinent to new channel launches is announced on our website and on our affiliates' websites.

Home2US Customer Care

If one checks their website, they get an idea of whether they do update it with pertinent information--it has not been updated for over a year!

But, as Grk101 also mentioned, there is some movement around the issue of Mega Cosmos (that only, I have not heard anything about any other channel) and whether it will end up on that platform or Dish. Or maybe both?

ERT world is the other big mystery for me. Will they finally give up the Dish monopoly? By the way, notice that on the Home2Us platform many national broadcasters are free--so a big booooo to ERT.

ERT world is the other big mystery for me. Will they finally give up the Dish monopoly? By the way, notice that on the Home2Us platform many national broadcasters are free--so a big booooo to ERT.

If PCCW Global wants to make the profit they promised ERT to get the deal, they will have to start branching out onto multiple platforms and pay tv providers. I can't see any other way for them to go from a supposed 350k loss to a 650k profit. It is unfortunate that ERT is in the group of public broadcasters that charge though. I know there are costs associated, but still. How do the rest manage to broadcast their channel internationally FTA?

It will be interesting to see subscriber numbers.

For palioseires in this forum, I might remind that I had an argument with DKsat on subscriber numbers back in 2006, when MEGA left Dish for Directv.

My prediction for the number of MEGA subscribers for first six months on the new platform:

432 (four hundred and thirty two)

My prediction for how long MEGA will last on this new platform:

6 months.

Down and out for the successful selection by MEGA management of the means of reaching omogeneia in the US.

Another failure is due. If Directv did not manage to sustain a successful Greek package, after spending many millions to that extend, who will?

Hi. I'm new to the forum. I just became a registered user today, but I have been following the forum since November 2006

Gia Sou File, Welcome aboard the Phantis train, hope you enjoy your stay! :)

As far as the email reply you received from Home2US, I wouldn't read too much into it. Front line workers (i.e. call centre staff) are usually the last to find out about new channel launches so they most likely don't know anything. I have a feeling they won't have any info until the Greek package actually launches on April 1.

ERT world is the other big mystery for me. Will they finally give up the Dish monopoly?

ERT World is listed as being one of the channels that will be available on Home2US and GMG now lists it on their website so this means they are in charge of marketing & distributing the channel. I think it might be safe to say that this channel will FINALLY be available on at least one other provider in the US.

It would be nice if they offered ERT World FTA, but sadly I don't think it will happen. If it did happen, it would serve as the coveted FTA Ku band frequency that has been lacking for us North Americans.

But, as Grk101 also mentioned, there is some movement around the issue of Mega Cosmos (that only, I have not heard anything about any other channel) and whether it will end up on that platform or Dish. Or maybe both?

I don't see MEGA Cosmos going to Dish for the sole reason that this new package on Home2US would fail miserably. Most DirecTV subs would probably switch to Dish if they carried MEGA and existing Dishnet subs would have little incentive to switch to Home2US. I think that MEGA Cosmos will be exclusive to the Home2US platform.

Gang 3171 welcome to the Phantis Forum.

Greek Media Group now has the distributing rights and marketing for all this Greek Channels for North America.

Mega Cosmos

Alter Globe

ERT World

Star Channel

RIK Sat

GMTV

DKSat

It will be interesting to see subscriber numbers.

For palioseires in this forum, I might remind that I had an argument with DKsat on subscriber numbers back in 2006, when MEGA left Dish for Directv.

My prediction for the number of MEGA subscribers for first six months on the new platform:

432 (four hundred and thirty two)

My prediction for how long MEGA will last on this new platform:

6 months.

Down and out for the successful selection by MEGA management of the means of reaching omogeneia in the US.

Another failure is due. If Directv did not manage to sustain a successful Greek package, after spending many millions to that extend, who will?

Mega is a complete failure since they've changed to directv in 2006. Again, how many people did you know switch to directv? Not many. Also, how many people are going to join this home2us? I'm guessing a lot fewer. It goes back to a couple things. First of all, most people don't want 2 different satellite systems at their house and second of all $$$ and a lot of people are feeling the pain and aren't going to pay to get a whole new system.

Again if you're reading this Mega and the rest of the channels, go to Dishnetwork and you will get the best subscriber base that is attainable in the US at this time. Don't pull another foolish move.

I wonder if ERA5, ERASport, and NET 105.8 will also be available along with ERT World on this new platform.

Good question. I was actually thinking the same thing.

On a side note, this venture will really have a chance of succeeding if they can get ANT1 on board. I wouldn't hold my breath with them though. This seems like the situation in Australia where almost all the Greek channels are on UBI, but ANT1 has stayed off and is doing their own thing. Of course the ideal thing to do would be for Mega to just go over to Dish Network like before, but I don't see that. Home2us better at least offer some specials on equipment and/or installation if they want even the slightest chance of success. They are very close to a complete line up, but like it was said times are tough and people need more than the incentive of channel offerings to subscribe to the service.

Gang 3171 welcome to the Phantis Forum.

Greek Media Group now  has the  distributing rights and marketing for all this Greek Channels for North America.

Mega Cosmos

Alter Globe

ERT World

Star Channel

RIK Sat

GMTV

DKSat

So I need to update my subscriber number projections for the first 6 months

MEGA 432

ALTER 156

STAR 32

GTV 29

ERT WORLD will not be there, since it must be on Dish

They gonna make big bucks :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Your sub projections DKSat?

No problem at all, DKsat, just teasing you.

Your info is always valuable.

And of course we can have different views or info or projections.

What I was trying to say was

1. A Greek package on another satellite stands no chance of success, if DirecTV did not succeed after throwing lots of millions.

2. ERT WORLD will not go to any new platform, the same way it did not go to DirecTV.

Harlem_reporter,

Sorry i do not project i just report the Satellite news to the forum, and if you have a problem with that i just stop reporting and move on.

DKSat

Easy guys,

DKSat, you provide valuable information to the members of this forum, don't get riled up over one little comment from someone who appears to be picking a fight for no reason?!

Harlem_reporter, why so antagonistic, DKSat is just reporting what he knows, he doesn't make decisions for MEGA?! As you may have noticed (or perhaps not?!) things change vary rapidly in the world of Greek TV. Just cause you are pissed that MEGA is not going to Dish, no need to take it out on someone else. If you want to vent then call MEGA in Greece and let them know how you feel, not that they will give a crap because all these broadcasters are the same- they just want our money but don't care at all about subscribers- 'mas grafoun'!

Must be the full moon tonight, everyone seems to be going crazy or something today?! :huh: :LOL:

1. A Greek package on another satellite stands no chance of success, if DirecTV did not succeed after throwing lots of millions.

How do you know this, it hasn't even launched and you have doomed it to failure?! With the addition of ERT World, all the important channels will be on this platform so why will it fail?! You have the #1 channel from Greece in MEGA and ERT World which is popular with the omogenia as well as a few other niche channels mixed in for good measure- sounds like a good package to me. Antenna & Alpha are nothing but junk fests filled with reality garbage so you aren't losing much- at least as far as I am concerned. The fact they will apparently also offer American programming (via DirecTV) will help get people to switch over. I think it all comes down to the packaging and pricing, which hopefully will be announced soon?!

2. ERT WORLD will not go to any new platform, the same way it did not go to DirecTV.

What is your source for this info- do you work for ERT or something?! Last time I checked this channel was not owned by Dish Network, so why can't it be available on any other provider??

Yes we can have different views but i can not predict what is going to happen to the new platform, i am not always 100% thing change by the minute with the Greek channels.

Don't be surprise if Antenna / Alpha move to Home2us in the future.

ERA5, ERA Sport, and NET 105.8 will be available on Home2us

DKSat

Archived