Phantis Forums

New Greek Channel Package Platform.

It is strange that DISH elected to have Ant1 control the Greek programming on their platform. If they had done their research before signing any deal they would have realized that there is no comparison between the two channels since day one, 20 years ago. The only series that Ant1 has to show for all these years is "

• Replies 543
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mega's & Alter's March31st expiration date at Directv is fast approaching (in 5 days!) and we still don't know where they are going. We keep hearing that it's Home2US, that it's a done deal, yet, no announcement. As far as I'm concerned nothing is a done deal until we see confirmation and an announcement from whoever is the new platform that will be broadcasting these channels. They may not even be broadcasting at all after April 1st. Remember Alter left Dish on August 31, 2007 and did not premiere on Directv until September 26, 2007, almost a month later. So I wouldn't rule out a chance

there could be a period w/o Mega & Alter because a done deal could be a not so done deal.

Since you say you are an ex-Dish Network employee, can you explain to me why ANT1 has so much power and control over decisions at a company they do not own?! Why would Dish execs allow a foreign broadcaster to have control over what channels they can offer or add to their packages?! Sorry this just seems a bit unbelievable to me

It is unbelievable because it is not true. There has been lots of misinformation on this issue, the latest one being that e-mail we saw from GMG stating that Dish was going to make people buy the package in order to have MEGA a la carte. Complete and utter BS, as is the claim that ANTENNA has that kind of veto power on DISH. If GMG wanted MEGA on DISH, MEGA would be on DISH. They wanted all of their channels on DISH, which DISH did not want. If you ask me, MEGA should never have been represented by the same people who represent these other losers, that was a clear conflict of interest as they ended up putting the interests of their other cliens in front of MEGA's.

If GMG wanted MEGA on DISH, MEGA would be on DISH. They wanted all of their channels on DISH, which DISH did not want.

Says who? The whole reason they left back in 2006 was because of the Ant1 deal and how Dish Network changed the packages and availability. Just look at my comparison of packages before and after the Ant1 deal a few pages back. Alpha got on Dish Network, yes, but notice that they are only available if you subscribe to the Elite package. That's it. No a-la-carte, no chance for a different package. Either you get it bundled with Ant1 or you don't get it at all. That was the issue in 2006 too from what I understand.

Also, what does this mean for ERT World when it appears that GMG is the one who is in charge of distributing the channel now?!  Will it stay on Dish or become exclusive to Home2US along with MEGA Cosmos?!  It would be great if they pulled it and moved it to Home2US, I wonder what Dish/ANT1 would do then as they would surely lose customers if ERT World was no longer offered.

I doubt ERT will leave Dish Network. It seems ERT has (finally) entered the phase where it is not exclusive to one provider only, the way a public broadcaster should act. At least we should hope. It would be a blow to Dish though if they lost it, but it seems they know it would kill them if they do. From what we have read they are the number 1 Greek channel. Remember back in 2006 they realigned the packages and took ERT off of a-la-carte offerings too? Only after Mega left did ERT put up a fight and go back on a-la-carte offering. Of course if GMG really does own the controlling distribution rights now, they could very well pull it out of spite from Dish Network in the future when the contract is up.

But again, I don't see that happening.

Since you say you are an ex-Dish Network employee, can you explain to me why ANT1 has so much power and control over decisions at a company they do not own?!  Why would Dish execs allow a foreign broadcaster to have control over what channels they can offer or add to their packages?!

If it is true, it probably has to do with the fact that Ant1 has a historically big following (since it was the number 1 channel in Greece back when it launched here, and one of the first) and seems to have committed to bidding on the sports rights. Notice in the recent renewal press release, the Dish Network exec. emphasized that subscribers will continue to get their live sports on Ant1. It really would be interesting if one of the other channels challenged Ant1 in the sports department.

Alpha got on Dish Network, yes, but notice that they are only available if you subscribe to the Elite package. That's it. No a-la-carte, no chance for a different package. Either you get it bundled with Ant1 or you don't get it at all. That was the issue in 2006 too from what I understand.

According to GMG themselves, they were offered MEGA a la carte and they wanted to be in a package, so how does that sync with your assessment?

Look at DISH offerings for other international packages. Usually only one or two would be offered a la carte, two would be the maximum.

MEGA was not losing subscribers because of the package policy, though yes it was one that made ANTENNA the dominant channel (which it is in the US market thanks to sports). Globecast simply wanted to get them over to Directv and they thought they had it made because Directv would get in the game of international channels (yet again). History proved them wrong.

As for someone challenging ANTENNA, the field is wide open for MEGA to bid for sports rights for the US. They never have, because the US market isn't as important to them. The way they treat their current customers, having them with no news of where they are going down to the last minute is the latest proof of that.

Min koroideuomaste, the only thing Ant1 in Greece and in North America have going for them right now is the Soccer rights.

Apo ekei kai pera the programming the last couple of years have been utter garbage. Because of the Oikonomiki krisi they have become a reality channel and pulling series like steps and xwris wria from the syrtari which were ready 3 years ago. Egw den tha kathiso na koitaksw blakies san Min to peis stin nifi kai realhousewives kai oti alli blakeia theloun na mas serviroun.

I will give the one good point I like Dancing with the Stars(Geia sou Zetara and Latsieee hahahha) thats it and the fact they showed us the Mike Zampidis fight a couple of weeks ago.

Mega has blown the competition away in programming. Zwh ths Allhs, Mystika ths Edem, and the super hit kai kalo gyrismeno TO Nhsi is constantly above 45 in the ratings and many times hits 50's and 60's consisestently.

Ant has to fix their programming they were once tops, but not utterly suck!!!!! If they did not have soccer rights i probably would not have it.

Min koroideuomaste, the only thing Ant1 in Greece and in North America have going for them right now is the Soccer rights

Completely agree with you.

According to GMG themselves, they were offered MEGA a la carte and they wanted to be in a package, so how does that sync with your assessment?

Yes I think the issue this time around is that although Dish Network offered them their a-la-carte concession, they did not offer a package offering.

I think what they were looking for was a pre-Ant1 deal situation, where there were multiple (non-Ant1 related) packages and a-la-carte. For example like "ERT/Mega package", etc. That is not going to happen IMO though with Ant1's deal over at Dish Network. Just my guess. It doesn't even seem like they offered them a spot in the elite package this time around if we are to believe what we heard.

Yes I think the issue this time around is that although Dish Network offered them their a-la-carte concession, they did not offer a package offering.

I think what they were looking for was a pre-Ant1 deal situation, where there were multiple (non-Ant1 related) packages and a-la-carte. For example like "ERT/Mega package", etc. That is not going to happen IMO though with Ant1's deal over at Dish Network. Just my guess. It doesn't even seem like they offered them a spot in the elite package this time around if we are to believe what we heard.

That may be right, we don't know as you said. The Greek packages in DISH right now are weird anyway: they have the ANTENNA pack and the Elite pack at the same price yet the eLite pack also offers you ALPHA, ERT, and all the ERT radio networks. Unless they plan to up the price of elite later and this is a promo deal now, I don't get the point of the ANTENNA pack as is.

That may be right, we don't know as you said. The Greek packages in DISH right now are weird anyway: they have the ANTENNA pack and the Elite pack at the same price yet the eLite pack also offers you ALPHA, ERT, and all the ERT radio networks. Unless they plan to up the price of elite later and this is a promo deal now, I don't get the point of the ANTENNA pack as is.
Hahaha I raised that same question both back when the price decrease was announced and when Alpha was announced. My guess if they eventually plan to raise the price. If not, then it is so pointless. Why not just lower the Ant1 package to the a-la-carte price in that case. I predict we will hear of a price increase this year though. :ph34r:

Says who? The whole reason they left back in 2006 was because of the Ant1 deal and how Dish Network changed the packages and availability. Just look at my comparison of packages before and after the Ant1 deal a few pages back. Alpha got on Dish Network, yes, but notice that they are only available if you subscribe to the Elite package. That's it. No a-la-carte, no chance for a different package. Either you get it bundled with Ant1 or you don't get it at all. That was the issue in 2006 too from what I understand.

So why ERTWORLD is a-la-carte as well?

That is not true. About 70% of Greek customers at dish, do not subscribe to ERT world because ERT doesnt have soap opera shows like Antenna does. Most customers of Antenna are old people that used to watch Lapsi and other greek crap with an education background of a couple of elementary years. Antenna brings money to dish since 1996. What guarantee Dish has the Mega will make money for them??Most greek customers have only Ant1 and not the greek package. The price of the elite package will increase in 6 months or less, they are just trying to get people to watch Alpha so they boost the price. Trust me if it wasnt for the soccer games i wouldnt have Antenna either and many of us. You have no idea how many customers were calling us to complain that Ant1 is showing a lot of soccer and therefore had nothing else to watch. Requesting to show more movies than soccer.

Dish Network must be bombarded with calls about the Greek channels that are leaving DIRECTV.

I just called pretending I was a new customer interested in international programming. When they asked me what language and I said Greek, their immediate reply was “You must be a DIRECTV customer”!!!

If only GMG was listening too!!!

One more thing about ERT WORD. I know for a fact that the current person in charge for ERT Satellite programming wants ERT WORLD to leave DISH NETWORK but it’s not only up to him. The move has to be approved by the ERT committee. More on the subject next week.

So why ERTWORLD is a-la-carte as well?

Read some of the other posts, it was explained there. ERT was also taken off of A-la-carte when the Ant1 deal happened, and only got back on A-la-carte after Mega left and after Alter's intentions were clear as well. Presumably they fought and reached a deal, ERT is too big of an asset for them to loose especially since the sports are split.

One more thing about ERT WORD. I know for a fact that the current person in charge for ERT Satellite programming wants ERT WORLD to leave DISH NETWORK but it

That is not true. About 70% of Greek customers at dish, do not subscribe to ERT world because ERT doesnt have soap opera shows like Antenna does. Most customers of Antenna are old people that used to watch Lapsi and other greek crap with an education background of a couple of elementary years. Antenna brings money to dish since 1996. What guarantee Dish has the Mega will make money for them??Most greek customers have only Ant1 and not the the greek package.

If what you say it is true Lampsi and Kalimera Zoi are currently airing on the ANT20YRS which is part of the ANT1 pack as well as the ELITE pack for the same price. So anyone who subscribes to ANT1 pack and not to ELITE is foolish. You get ALPHA and ERT WORLD for free. What really doesn't make sense in my opinion those two packages having the same price. A Dish greek representative told me that they have that so they can raise the price of the ELITE pack in the case they get another channel. When I told him that, that was the case when ALPHA joined he was unable to give me an answer.

Many greek customers just had Ant1 and nothing else, they prefered to pay $22 per month instead of paying $24 for the Ant1 package and have more channels like Ant20 and blue etc. Most of the greek reps know nothing about greek channels, whatever they were train to tell they are saying and know nothing more. Most greek reps and greek-americans that are working there because they speak some greek and nothing else. Even when you call to request that Dish get another channel to their programming they have no control over that request, they just do nothing. Very few of them knew that there is link on their intranet for requests but from my experience nobody is taking it into consideration. Just FYI that you guys say to call and ask to add Mega

If GMG wanted MEGA on DISH, MEGA would be on DISH. They wanted all of their channels on DISH, which DISH did not want.

That is an interesting point you bring up likos. GMG is telling people that they couldn't come to terms with Dish Network but perhaps the real reason is not about how MEGA Cosmos would be offered but rather that Dish would not agree to add all the other crap channels they offer?! They probably made it an 'all or nothing' deal- agree to carry all the channels or none at all. This wouldn't surprise me if it were true, as I pointed out before if MEGA were to go to dish then no one would sign up with Home2US- MEGA is the jewel in their crown, so to speak, so they are using it to get you to subscribe to their other channels as well.

About 70% of Greek customers at dish, do not subscribe to ERT world because ERT doesnt have soap opera shows like Antenna does. Most customers of Antenna are old people that used to watch Lapsi and other greek crap with an education background of a couple of elementary years. Antenna brings money to dish since 1996. What guarantee Dish has the Mega will make money for them??

This contradicts what DKSat posted a while back that ERT World is currently the most popular channel with the omogenia.

As for Antenna, not sure when the last time was that you watched it but it does not air any soap operas only wall to wall reality junk. They air some older series as filler here and there but there are currently only 2 new TV series- Xoris Oria & Steps (Fame knock-off), which are actually not new as they were produced several years ago- ANT1 is done with soap operas & comedies from what I see. Most people abroad who watch the Greek channels are from the older generation, parents & grandparents. Antenna has nothing to offer this demo as all its programming is aimed at youth and this appears the direction they want to go in from here on out.

As for the MEGA comment, it is the most popular channel in Greece and has IMO (as well as many others) a better overall lineup of shows then Antenna including several popular soap operas. B) Are you trying to tell me that the top channel in Greece which airs many popular shows would not make any money for Dish- come on! ;) Take a look at some of the other language packages that Dish offers, they offer so many niche, second rate channels that I have lost count- do those make money?!

The more cable networks the better IMO. AT&T U-verse is not available in my area though, my only options are Comcast or satellite.  According to Wikipedia, U-verse is currently available to "20 million living units in 22 states". (as of 2009 at least)

Comcast will also work too. They are available in my area as well.

Well it seems Dish Network is playing the game too. Someone in that Facebook discussion wrote:

"Dish Network says that today there are signs of hope and optimisn regarding their attaining of Mega Cosmos. So, apparently it's not a done deal with the other satellite company yet. Maybe Mega in Athens has gotten involved."

Either Dish Network is milking the situation for whatever reason, or they really are still negotiating. The latest date GMG had given for an announcement was for tomorrow.

Well it seems Dish Network is playing the game too. Someone in that Facebook discussion wrote:

"Dish Network says that today there are signs of hope and optimisn regarding their attaining of Mega Cosmos. So, apparently it's not a done deal with the other satellite company yet. Maybe Mega in Athens has gotten involved."

Either Dish Network is milking the situation for whatever reason, or they really are still negotiating. The latest date GMG had given for an announcement was for tomorrow.

Hope it's true. :tup:

To me it seems obvious they are going to Home2us. It just remains to be seen what type of deal they offer to entice subs to switch over. But you can never be too certain with the Greek channels until the last minute. Typical Greek mentality. :LOL:

Dish network is not above using a little deception themselves. In 2006 when MEGA left they were pretending up to the last minute they knew nothing, and then they had this greek chubby guy come on screen and tell us they would sue etc etc. All BS.

Well this is strange. Someone posted on Facebook:

"I spoke with someone at Mega this morning and he said that they are going to Euro World Network."

Euro world networks????? I think this is their site: http://www.euro-worldnetwork.com It looks like they are also on 101w. Anyone know any info on them? It looks to me that they create specialized platforms. They have "CroatianTV-Australia | CroatianTV-America | HungarianTV-America | bvn-America | RTS-America | RTS-Australia | NexTV-America | NexTV-Australia"

I know NexTV Canada has ERT World, Mega Cosmos, Alter Globe, Alpha Sat, GMTV, and RIK Sat, but when you click on NexTV America no Greek channels show up. And NexTV is IPTV, while this new service is supposed to be satellite.

Archived