Phantis Forums

New Greek Channel Package Platform.

For Mega to be successful in North America they need to go where the Greeks are, and right now the Greeks are with Dish Network. The main and most important feature that Dish Network provides is Greek League Soccer and as long as Dish Network controls the soccer, it will control the demographic. Even with combined powerhouses like Mega, Alpha, Alter going to a super reputable provider such as Direct Tv, they still could not pull in enough Greek housewives to convince their husbands to switch over. And we all know how convincing Greek moms can be…… Honestly, the Greek man controls the tv in the house and the Greek man does not like additional television bills, additional remote controls and additional satellite dishes being nailed to his roof. For this reason, Mega will only survive on Dish Network as long as Dish Network controls the soccer.

• Replies 543
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well this is strange. Someone posted on Facebook:

"I spoke with someone at Mega this morning and he said that they are going to Euro World Network."

Euro world networks????? I think this is their site: http://www.euro-worldnetwork.com It looks like they are also on 101w. Anyone know any info on them? It looks to me that they create specialized platforms. They have "CroatianTV-Australia | CroatianTV-America | HungarianTV-America | bvn-America | RTS-America | RTS-Australia | NexTV-America | NexTV-Australia"

I know NexTV Canada has ERT World, Mega Cosmos, Alter Globe, Alpha Sat, GMTV, and RIK Sat, but when you click on NexTV America no Greek channels show up. And NexTV is IPTV, while this new service is supposed to be satellite.

Euro World Network own the channels rights and sell them on the Home2US platform it seems.

We have Euro World Network also here in Australia they sell there channels thru the Globecast platform here.

For Mega to be successful in North America they need to go where the Greeks are, and right now the Greeks are with Dish Network. The main and most important feature that Dish Network provides is Greek League Soccer and as long as Dish Network controls the soccer, it will control the demographic. Even with combined powerhouses like Mega, Alpha, Alter going to a super reputable provider such as Direct Tv, they still could not pull in enough Greek housewives to convince their husbands to switch over. And we all know how convincing Greek moms can be…… Honestly, the Greek man controls the tv in the house and the Greek man does not like additional television bills, additional remote controls and additional satellite dishes being nailed to his roof. For this reason, Mega will only survive on Dish Network as long as Dish Network controls the soccer.

I agree 100%. :tup:

Hmm this is what their wikipedia says:

EURO-World Network, Inc. (EWN) is an American-based media company that markets and distributes various international television and radio services to ethnic viewers in North America as well as Australia & New Zealand. It was founded in February 2004 and is based in San Diego, California. In establishing a strong foundation in these areas of business, EWN has teamed up with many of the world

Even with combined powerhouses like Mega, Alpha, Alter going to a super reputable provider such as Direct Tv, they still could not pull in enough Greek housewives to convince their husbands to switch over.

Who says not enough people switched over? Dish Network obviously continues to have the dominance as they have been around way longer, but don't let DirecTV dropping the Greek channels make you think they didn't get enough subs. It looks more likely that they are slowly getting out of the international market (yet again) instead. Back when they launched the Greek package, they also launched a slew of other language packages. Most of those packages do not exist today either. We do not know the exact reason why they are being dropped, and probably never will.

and additional satellite dishes being nailed to his roof.

Actually someone mention in the facebook discussion that a Dish Network installer told him they could put an LNB pointing to 101w on his satellite dish as well. Not sure if that is true though. Maybe with the SuperDish (click) or something? If this is the case, theoretically you could get the Home2us channels plus the Dish Network programing. (similar to what DKSat mentioned about getting DirecTV and Home2us) Again though take this with a grain of salt. It might be completely wrong.

Just called GMG up. They said everything (where they will move, etc) will be announced tomorrow on Mega Cosmos via a title card on screen.

I asked if we will be able to use the same satellite dish, and they said yes. So I think that rules out Dish Network...Like I said I think we all know it is most likely Home2us, now we just have to wait and see the specifics......

Euro World Network own the channels rights and sell them on the Home2US platform it seems.

That is correct, Euro World Network is a channel distributor just like International Media Distribution and similar to what Greek Media Group is supposed to be?! I think that person on Facebook must be confused because saying they are going to Euro World Network makes no sense?! Are they saying that EWN will now be in charge of distributing these channels because they don't own a distribution platform, they just represent various channels and help to get them distributed in North America & Australia.

The channels Euro World Network represents (Croatian, Dutch, Hungarian & Serbian) were originally available on Globe Cast World TV but they left a few years ago due to the signal theft problems that Globe Cast were having (Globe Cast uses the same encryption system as Dish). They ended up going to Home2US which at the time was just starting up and I believe the Euro World channels were among the first that they offered to subscribers.

This story appears to be getting weirder by the day, hopefully a resolution of some sort is coming soon. Just tell people where the heck the channels will be available and then each person can make their own decision- enough of this crap! :rolleyes:

EDIT:It appears as though GMG has entered into some sort of partnership with EWN or EWN is taking over distribution of these Greek channels?! Euro World Network has registered the domain www.greektv-america.com, so keep an eye on that for more info. It will probably launch whenever the Greek package launches on Home2US.

I know NexTV Canada has ERT World, Mega Cosmos, Alter Globe, Alpha Sat, GMTV, and RIK Sat, but when you click on NexTV America no Greek channels show up.

NEXTV is for Canada, IPTV service for the US is handled by NEXTV America which is operated by Euro World Network.

EDIT:It appears as though GMG has entered into some sort of partnership with EWN or EWN is taking over distribution of these Greek channels?! Euro World Network has registered the domain www.greektv-america.com, so keep an eye on that for more info. It will probably launch whenever the Greek package launches on Home2US.

Good catch there! I am guessing the site should be up tomorrow as that is when GMG said everything will be announced via title cards on the Greek channels.

Another facebook post. Again take everything with a grain of salt until it is officially announced:

"I called Greek Media Group late this afternoon. They claim that they are working out the finail details with the new satellite company (not Dish). These are the answers to the questions I asked:

1. Mega Cosmos will be offered a la carte for$20 (but no access fee) as well as in packages.

2. one free receiver, and they are working out discounts for multiple receivers

3.. you can use the same satellite dish. and they are still working on getting free instatllation

4. details to be announced on Mega Cosmos tonight, (yes this is what they said) or tomorrow

5. they can't understand why Dish is optimistic

Can they possibly have all this worked out by tonight or tomorrow?"

Now my comments and thoughts: $20 a-la-carte is a bit steep, and it makes me think the packages won't be as cheap as I thought. I would love to be proven wrong though. But there is no access fee, so it is not as bad IMO. ($10-$15 fee with Dish Network and DirecTV) I'm going to wait to judge for sure though. Also a free receiver and installation (or realignment) as well as discounted extra receivers sounds great if they can pull it off.

I also noticed on hungariantv-america.com, "DunaTV" used to be on a different platform and moved to Home2us. When it moved, they offered a special promotion. You would get 3 months free service if you sent them a copy of your previous subscription to it. IF GMG/EWN could also pull off something like this for the Greek channels too, it would be a HUGE pull IMO. (For existing DirecTV subs at least) Plus with all their subsidiaries, EWN seems to offer 1 month free service for every friend you refer. (For both you and the person you refer)

In my opinion, this will all come out to the details associated with it. Let's wait and see what they will end up offering for sure.

Actually someone mention in the facebook discussion that a Dish Network installer told him they could put an LNB pointing to 101w on his satellite dish as well. Not sure if that is true though. Maybe with the SuperDish (click) or something? If this is the case, theoretically you could get the Home2us channels plus the Dish Network programing. (similar to what DKSat mentioned about getting DirecTV and Home2us) Again though take this with a grain of salt. It might be completely wrong.

The 1000+ Dish Network Dish receives signals from 110,118,119 and 129 with 3 LNBs one of which is dual for (118 and 119). So if another LNB can be attached to the dish receiving signal from 101 seems the solution. Mind you this is something that not all Dish Network technicians will do as they are "supposedly” not allowed to extend the functionality of what their company supports.

Thanks for the info. That seems to be an option for those who only want 1 satellite dish on their roof and also want Dish Network. I don't think any company is supposed to help you extend functionality beyond what their company supports, but there seems to always be ways to get around this, especially with subcontractor installers.

Now my comments and thoughts: $20 a-la-carte is a bit steep, and it makes me think the packages won't be as cheap as I thought.

I would agree, 20 bucks is way too high for one channel although I suspect they are doing this to persuade you to subscribe to the package instead (Dish has started doing this as well). Looking at the Home2US website, I see that HRT from Croatia is available a la carte for $19.99 as well but the full Croatian package is $25.99, so for 6 bucks more you get another channel. I suspect the Greek package will probably be around the same price, between $25. - $28.

<>When I said that it was a done deal in my previous post you guys were double guessing me look for adds to start soon on home2us or Euro-world Network which is parent of home2us.

I personal thing they should have done this long time ago most of the Greeks a good 80% of them want a package like that of 5-6 Greek channels with the cost of 30-40 dollars and a receiver w/ off air antenna to get free locals because with to days economy people cannot afford the 150-200 dollars a month bills.

I have been reading all your posts on this issue and most of you have been trying to bring something good on the table for the well of all of us that want to see good Greek tv in the USA and Canada.

Tomorrow I will have more info on how you can re-point your direct tv dish since directv only wants the receivers back and not the dish also prices receivers etc.

DKSat

I would agree, 20 bucks is way too high for one channel although I suspect they are doing this to persuade you to subscribe to the package instead (Dish has started doing this as well).  Looking at the Home2US website, I see that HRT from Croatia is available a la carte for $19.99 as well but the full Croatian package is $25.99, so for 6 bucks more you get another channel.  I suspect the Greek package will probably be around the same price, between $25. - $28.

Looking into it further, I would have to agree too. Also I notice that NexTV has an almost identical channel line up of what we have heard (but Alpha instead of Star) and they are selling for $29.99. So I expect it around there too. We should know soon enough though.

Well, I would like to be the first to predict that the Mega channel move is all an April fools

Tomorrow I will have more info on how you can re-point your direct tv dish since directv only wants the receivers back and not the dish also prices receivers etc.

DKSat

DK thank you once again for all this information. You once again brought the news to us first, and proved your credibility yet again despite people's doubts. B)

Do you happen to know if those of us that are going to cut DirecTV all together have to repoint anything or install a new LNB for the Home2us service? I'm pretty sure one of the LNBs is already pointing to 101w.

Nice to see you back DKSat :)

Euro-world Network which is parent of home2us.

Are you saying that Euro World Network owns Home2US?! Wow, that is interesting news, I guess that explains the facebook post that The Greek channels are going to Euro World Network which actually meant they are going to Home2US.

Here is some food for thought.

If ERT WORLD is to be distributed by EURO-World Network and I know for a fact that there has been no testing on 101W by ERT, does that mean that EURO-World Network will pick it up from NSS 806 at 40.5W that they support and also ERT currently transmit to it?

There is no dish that would cover 101W and 40.5W satelittes therefore either a motorized disk will be needed or a second one.

DKSat said to look for adds soon, so it probably has not been added/tested yet. Also ERT World on NSS 806 at 40.5W is C-band right?

What I am wondering is if the original PCCW plan to put ERT FTA in North America on a domestic KU band satellite is still in the plans. I notice that Home2us hosts some FTA channels at 101w. But I am wondering now with GMG/EWN in the picture if FTA is even in the plans anymore. One could hope though right?

:gr:

Archived