Phantis Forums

GREECE - Nigeria

Irlandos

drak, i said that above.....most goals do happen from broken plays, opportunistic chances and the like.......i agree...

my only point is this: dont get excitied over beating a 10 man side...greece would have had so much more to lose if they did not win, than what they stand to gain if they did win...

when your opponent is a man down, you need to win...period......

are our expectations so low that we are estatic when we beat a side that was a man down?

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

People who are not happy about the effort..are always gonna complain.

I am hoping that Ott saw the lineup needs more tweeking.

Tzorvas:3 looks nervous but had the save of the game ( Does he have the teams cofidence...Sifakis???)

Avraam: 5.5 with 1 man down we were never under siege ,but it is 2 games with no major gaffs.

Socrates: 6.5 looked confident with and without the ball,left out to dry by Vyntra decision to play back. Will be key vs Argentines.

Soto: 6 always a threat on set pieces,but next game cannot be left outside next game..hopefully Otto changes up formation.

Vyntra : 3 we thought he was bad at CB...looked horrible out there no clue.

Toro: 6.5 Wow imagine Otto played him on his strong side.

Tziolis: 7 in my opinion MAN of the Match was solid enough to let Katsourans and Kara to drift up front,good decisions with the ball,good in the air.

Karagounis: 5 Average,set pieces not qualty but he ran his A$$ off.

Katsouranis:6 Great first half looks more comfortable playing box to box rather than stopper.

Salpi: 7 Should have done better ,but battled those giants and won.. he is the answer to a trivia ? now!!

Gekas:4 I am not a fan....your the target man...wins no aerials and cannot finish,I am sorry next game we need better.

SUBS

Samaras: 5 cannot play on the wing, much different as the TARGET MAN,after Gekas changed he showed his quality in the air with winning headers and chesting wwith control. Much better with the ball at his feet thenGekas.

Ninis: EPI TELOS showed glimpses, nice run from left to right on Karagounis through ball,was always moving,will be an asset in 2012 Euro Qualify...dare I say next game.

Otto:8 like it or not... looked like the team still wanted to play which means they r still playing for him..we could have tanked ..changed his formation and pounced ASAP when Nigeria went a man down. Now we'll see if he has a pulse on the situation..by fine tuning for next match.

Vs Argentines

Tzorvas (would not be fair to throw in Sifakis now)

Toro Avraam Soto Spyropoulos

.................Socrates........................

.........Tziolis................Kats...........

...............Karagounis.................

..........Salpi............Gekas( Short leash)

Bravo ellathara..!!!

As torosidis said after game " this win is dedicated ONLY to the greeks who believed in us"

take note fans....

Cuz they gave us reason to believe after the game 1 effort and tactical choices....I am hoping that the team has taken CIRCLE THE WAGONS...US AGAINST THE WORLD mentality...maybe we should trash them more ;)

Great game Great Result...money off THEIR backs :gr: :gr: :gr:

all situational crap aside we should all enjoy the sweet taste of a world cup victory and a good performance...despite nigerias goal i believe greece was in possession of the match..it was a closer game before the sending off but the score could have easily been 3 or 4 to 1 if our finishing was alittle better...

we can finally get rid of the monkey on our backs...im not expecting any positive result for the last game vs argentina BUT we have nothing to lose and if the players go out there and work hard, play with passion and show they want to win (like they did today) i will be satisfied..its a shame we didnt play our first match seriously bc we could be celebrating advancing to the next round right now instead of just one HISTORIC victory...

as far as notes on the game...the goal was not tzorvas' fault..or avraam...it was katsouranis who positioned himself poorly, could not clear the ball and distracted tzorvas...those in swinging corners are a nightmare for keepers to deal with...but kats redeemed himself with a nice run into the box and smart lay off for our first goal...

vyntra did not do poorly..he sent in some dangerous crosses and worked hard..he made acouple errors (like his weak pass to sokratis causing the foul, yellow and impending goal)..the kid is not a technical player...he gets by on hard work alone so we should minimize his possession time but he is very solid in one-on-one situations...

i think samaras did well tonight...he looked confident with the ball and was roaming around everywhere trying to make a nuisance out of himself..he went out there with the drive to try and win his place back...

ninis needs more game time and karagounis needs to learn how to hit a set piece...some of his deliveries were awful but some were alright...he looked hungry and wanted the ball at his feet which made him more useful in this match...

im proud today...much more so then our loss to korea and am happy to see some positive things out of the team...we need to build on this and hope we get some luck vs argentina...they will play a different squad but hey..they are argentina...

A much better effort this time around, but I was still not impressed by the overall performance. The second half demonstrated that this team has the power to make things happen if they work together and under the guidance of a much better coach they can achieve a lot. This gives me hope that if the NT can finally close the book on the Rehagel era, they can move forward and play some great football.

Based on Greek news reports, it seems to me that Otto is a lame duck, and someone else is managing the team.

I sure hope this statement is true as it might actually give them a chance of winning against Argentina. I agree with others that they are beatable but it will still be an uphill battle. If you believe then anything is possible. If they go in with the same mentality that some on here have (the 'we can't win, 'they are too good' mentality) then they will surely lose. Look at the North Koreans, they went toe to toe with the mighty Brazil and kept them off the score sheet for the entire first half. They also managed to score a goal so that tells me if you go in with a 'nothing to lose' mentality and just play your heart out then good things can happen.

The comments by some of the players are very distasteful IMO. Sounds like they need to get their egos in check- how would you feel if no one supported you and the stadium was full of only Nigerian fans- eh kolopaida?! You played crap in the first game, be men and face up to it!

Here's hoping that they come out with the same intensity and effort in the final game. Also, I hope Ninis is in the starting 11 and Vintra joins Charisteas on the bench.

:gr:

OK, let me start by saying that I LOVE this result, finally a score to be proud of. They played their hearts out but in only spurts! For the life of me please someone explain to my WHY, WHY, WHY do they not play the whole game like they mean to win? Why do they let up when they have a team on the freakin ropes? Why do they wait for the ball to roll to them instead of chasing it down? Why do they have to make it difficult on themselves, why the necessity for sheer drama and near heart attacks? Why re tsoglania, why? The team is not a cohesive unit and has no strategy. The players are decent enough and if they played as a unit they could probably take any team on. Offense and pathos did this today, a gut check that panned out.

One more question, I don't follow Greek football but Ninis to me is not all that. From the way you talk about him this guy is the second coming, and maybe he is that good but today he didn't show me much of nothing. Of course he wasn't in the game for long....

Anyway, they now have all the reason in the world to fight hard against Argentina, and lets hope Otto doesn't f#$%^ things up again.

I've had a few hours sleep and now upon reflection it's no doubt better having won that what we saw against Korea, but in my mind it doesn't change anything.

Otto has designed this team to fail. We won last night NOT because of him but despite him.

The victory is for Hellenes around the world who have endured humiliation by a bunch of overpaid hacks coached by a superstitious old man who has lost touch.

Also I want to repeat that all the racists who have picked on us as a nation, as a people can in the words of the great Maradona "suck it and keep on sucking it!"

:gr: :gr:

Great result for Greece of course. We are up against it w/ Argentina, although, if we play with the determination and desire and the willingness to leave it all on the field, we will get a result against Argentina. They have some of the most talented players in the world but they do not seem to be clicking in top gear. Play with confidence and the belief that we will win.....and we will win. Mono am an dhen ta xalasi o Otto.

:gr: :gr: :gr: :gr: :gr: :gr:

I would have liked for this to be ONLY a happy day, for all of us, because God knows we’ve had enough heartaches the past few years with this NT but what the hell does this mean?

"As torosidis said after game " this win is dedicated ONLY to the greeks who believed in us....take note fans...." That's exactly the Fu#$@! up attitude that makes us as a nation suck! Where's the humble disposition of a supposed pro that's not been doing much of anything except now and then? It's not like they didn't give us all sort of reasons to doubt their capabilities, desires, and heart you know? And him dedicating the victory ONLY...depicts nothing more than his childish disposition. I don’t need your dedication and permission to be happy my NT won today. What are you gonna do, dedicate you upcoming ass whipping by Argentina to those that didn't believe in you? Idiot!

With a better lineup, a few new players and a another coach, things can be a lot better.

I can't but lament the fact that GR wasted the Korea game. The Koreans aren't better than the Nigerians, but Otto's stupidity/stubbornes probably cost GR the advance to 16.

GR beat a 10-man Nigeria team but it needs lots of work. I can't remember when GR put 2 good games back to back in a very long while.

Let's be happy right now.

Greek scorer Torosidis said: "I don?t care what happens now. I'm just delighted for the team, and for the fans who never stopped believing in us."

I guess we just won the ...World Cup !!!! It'll be another "no show" for our players against Argentina. They gave it their all and now their tanks are empty.

Good win for Greece.

Not many were giving them a chance today. Sure they got a big break when the RED CARD was given to the Nigerian player but it was the correct call.

Greece dominated the play after that and could have easily scored two more goals.

Great save by the Greek keeper on the Nigerian breakout in the second half.

As for Ninis....he only played 10 minutes and was there to protect the lead but guess what, he made two or three plays that looked decent and did it with some speed. He needs to start next game IMO.

Otto needs to make a change or two for the next game.

Ninis has to be in.

Vyntra needs to be removed.

Samaras should start as well but he probably won't last the full 90 minutes.

Keep the same goalie for next game.

What Greece needs is for Argentina to start their second team, even then it will be tough to be them.

Good work today by the Greek National team.

What do you guys want Torosidis to say?? Argentina is in fact leaps and bounds ahead of us. Who cares, anyway? I don't even bother trying to gauge the players' mentality based on their post-game commentary. It's all meaningless. It's what happens on the field that matters. Greek mentality will always be negative, no matter what they say on the surface..it's endemic to our culture.

Argentina still needs at least a tie to qualify, so they are not going to take this game lightly. However, I do have hope. I think we play better against big teams like this. Especially finesse teams that like to play the beautiful game. It's too late to make any changes now, so the best bet is to grind out a tie and hope for a Nigeria win.

As for playing attacking soccer, like I said above, it's too late at this point; and Otto didn't make the right selections to begin with.

Ninis has to be in.

Vyntra needs to be removed.

Samaras should start as well but he probably won't last the full 90 minutes.

I"m one of the few that support Avraam and Vyntra, but I have to say that for some reason Vyntra has looked bad with the exception of some good crosses...Avraam has looked decent and his speed has saved some plays.

Not here to argue about Avraam, but I really agree with your comments for lineup changes.

Put Torosidis out there on the right.

Put Spiropoulos on the left.

------------------TZORVAS

KYRGIAKOS-AVRAAM-PAPASTATHOPOULOS

TOROSIDIS-------------------SPIROPOULOS

----------------TZIOLIS (HE'S EARNED IT)

NINIS-------------------------KATSOURANIS

----------SALPIGIDIS----SAMARAS

I've adapted my lineup.....

PS

We need Nigeria to be Korea and we need to tie

Honestly, Argentina has no mid. Their strength is on the wings, and Maradona plays 6 strikers!! We need to pack our mid with defenders. If we play too loose, we're going to fall into Maradona's trap. I think Otto should play the following:

-------------------------------GK--------------------------------

Seitaridis---Papastathopoulos-----Kyrgiakos---Spyropoulos

------------Torosidis---------------Moras------------------------

--------------------------Katsouranis-----------------------------

----Ninis-------------------------------------------Karagounis----

---------------------------Samaras-------------------------------

give me 11 papastathopoulos's and we go to the finals

i love this guys attitude.....hes an A**hole, and is not AFRAID of anyone - he aint lookin for shirts and hugs after the game or to make friends....thats the mentality the whole team should have.....he commits silly fouls and with alittle seasoning hell get over that

theses guys most are soft........greek soccer has always been physical rugged game....why we let the koreans off the hook when we could have taken the physical game right to them is well, history ....

we need to go box to box with argentina, becuase if we sit bck and have room to manuerver its curtains....

these guy hav a chance to create teh biggest upset of all time.....as ive said a million times, if u think you are a good team, then you want to play the best and you want to beat the best........we alwys talk repsect respect respect - well wi this game and that will earn greece respect for a long long time......

its right there...they put there pants on one leg at a time just like you do......go fukcing take it....dont ask politely for it....TAKE IT !

Tzorvas needs to come off right now. Thats disgraceful, not paying attention and handed Nigeria a free gift. And then a corner........

I seriously hope PAO drops him after this. His career should end as of today.

Oxi re you are being harsh.

Tzorvas is a much...much...much better keeper than the abalo, Nikopolidis and thankfully Chalkias is 3rd string GK as well.

The goal was about 20% Nigerian good fortune 40% Katsouranis fault for ducking and 40% the fault of Tzorvas for not attacking the ball like a jackyl!

He did in fact pull of a great save after the Gekas point blank :blink: miss and he also had that shot covered with that dive to his right.

I don't care for PAO but he needs to be more confident when he comes out as he has the reflexes which Kotapolidis never really had.

all those who bet against greece lost their shirts....how lopsided did thi game look before it started? nigerias strong showing against arg and our egg against korea?

remember what i said yesterday? dont be surprised if we win.....if betting sports was this easy we would all be millionaires.....

I remembered your original post and I came across $1000 yesterday (basically raided my brother's wallet but that's another story) and I seriously considered placing that bet on Hellas as their odds blew out to $4 for the win, but I couldn't do it knowing that Otto is still the man in charge.

All I can say to the tsogadoroi who thought they'd make some extra change I hope you have llearnt the bitter lesson that when you bet against Greece you might get rammed in sphincter...hard! :LOL:

akrtis - where did u say your brother's wallet was? jajajajaa

listen - i am not shy about making predictions. i mean is easy to yap after the fact..but its more fun to try and predict whats gonna happen.....ok so you end up being wrong alot - but its cool when you get it right

and, as God as my witness - and i regret that i did not write this prior to the tournament - i felt that that rgentina game was gonna be do or die for us....while everybody was clamouring for our great schedule and that we play arg last, and hoping that we take out the two weaker opponents first so arg would be meaningless ( which by the way was very very possible) i did comment that the most predictable thing about this team is that they are:

1. unpredictable

2. always make things difficult for themselve

3. tend to rise up and play better when their backs are agianst the wall

i actually thought SK tie, and nigeria win.....and arg last - that ws my feeling....

and i know i am veyr critical of the team and realistic (not as excited about beating a 10 man squad as everyone else is) good win, yes, but u need to do that....but we, all of us, are here wasting itme becuase we feel a kinship, collective kinship and we give a s%$#! about the blue and white.....its why we get tweaked when they dont play well...

everybody has great things to say and its cool that we have the forum to vent....

now regarding next tues. i see 3-1 arg. the sk - N game is more difficult to read. at full mental and physical strength i think N can beat sk . they are just as fast, much stronger...but korea is close knit - and N is prone to a mental fart every now and then a we saw today....so i dont have a good read on it....yet.....

but - greece can win the game if they play their A plus plus game while argentina can play their B plus game and still win....thats the differnece.

rammed in the sphicter....hmmm, now there's a sensitive thought....jajajajajaja might as well add some sand to the vaseline while were at it.....

the reflexes which Kotapolidis never really had.

Be fair,

Nikopolidis was great for a long long time during his PAO days and his first few years at OSFP.

I agree that he has lost a lot. His reflexes are ok, but his clearances and set play judgment is brutal

Archived