Phantis Forums

Batista in Parliament Elections?

Phantis

These political parties put up singers, actors, actresses, you-name-it up for parliament. Now they have resorted to foreign-born ones as well.

And we wonder why political life in Greece is not as serious as in (the rest of) Europe...

all greek citizens have the right to run for office, whether foreign born or domestic.

if he is deemed unworthy, he will not be voted.

otherwise, they will get what they vote for.

We do not get "all" citizens standing for political office.

We get sons, grandsons, nephews of former politicians with a few actors, actresses, singers and other mediocrities thrown in for good measure, being selected. :(

Another matter to ponder here is whether someone who has jumped from Cabo Verde to Portugal to Holland to Greece can have that same pain and ache in his heart for the land as someone whose roots go a lot deeper...

Until we get a radical break from this useless nepotistic, high-profile tradition, articles like this will elicit a well-known traditional Greek hand gesture from yours truly.

Another matter to ponder here is whether someone who has jumped from Cabo Verde to Portugal to Holland to Greece can have that same pain and ache in his heart for the land as someone whose roots go a lot deeper...

I have heard that, like Bajevich, Batista is an AEK fan at heart. Given all this roots here/roots there business, I wonder if Irlandos would

- support Batista for mayor of Constantinople, and

- support Papandreou for mayor of St Paul?

I think though that if his party wins, Batista should clip this phrase by Irlandos and request that he be appointed to a cabinet position where he will be in charge of the servces dealing with immigrants.

Finally let me thank Irlandos for disqualifying me and a few hundrend thousand Greek immigrants from holding elective office. Maybe he could give us official copies of his dictum so that we can skip jury duty as well!

P.S. I consulted with Bush on this issue and he told me that as a life long liberal he is non-judgemental and would not comment except to say that

1a) he would support to death my right to run for elective office,

1b) his father never suggested that Dukakis was unfit because of the roots business

1c) he would enjoy running, like his father did, against a fellow Greek,

1d) all that mumbo-jumbo about being American at birth is a mere technicality to be waived aside should I choose to run

Finally he suggested that he, I, his father who played college soccer, and Batista are free spirits and that the critics are probably referees of one sort or another. As I took leave of him, he shouted:

Gurbe[ch]i(ler|des) of the world, unite!

whether or not people like batista and the grandsons and nephews of political figures are successful in elections is a wholey different matter.

we cannot judge their decision to run or their eligibility, rather we should judge those who vote for them.

Archived