Phantis Forums

New Transfer: Nathan Burns

george21

NO NO NO NO NO.

As you can tell from my username I am from Adelaide, Adelaide United is the soccer team here in australia.

Now this is the worst move for both player and for club.

First of all if we want to win the greek league this aint the player to win it for us.

The A league ( australian soccer league) is not that good of league, it is only 3 years old, Burns would not make the best 11 in the A league and there is only 8 teams in the league at the moment.

If Burns wants to play First team at AEK he will have to improve 100%. He is just not good enough.

I thought AEK were going for the title this year? well not with this buy we arent.

VERY VERY VERY DISAPPOINTING.

out of curiousity how much did we spend for Burns?

i am also from adelaide.

and watch this player every single week. he has great talent for a youngster. he scores regularly and assists in goals in almost every game. his footwork is incredible and many experts compare him to world cup heroes of old. i believe one day burns will not only be a regular for the socceroos (where he has been already capped at such a young age) but will be playing for a top flight club in europe. AEK is his starting point in europe..

congratulations on this signing and mark my words it is a TOP signing!

i am also from adelaide.

and watch this player every single week. he has great talent for a youngster. he scores regularly and assists in goals in almost every game. his footwork is incredible and many experts compare him to world cup heroes of old. i believe one day burns will not only be a regular for the socceroos (where he has been already capped at such a young age) but will be playing for a top flight club in europe. AEK is his starting point in europe..

congratulations on this signing and mark my words it is a TOP signing!

information from www.adelaideunited.com.au

Adelaide United FC and Qantas Under 23s striker Nathan Burns is off to Greece after The Reds agreed to transfer the talented forward to AEK Athens, one of the leading clubs in Greece’s premier competition, the Greek Super League.

Adelaide United CEO Sam Ciccarello said, “The club has agreed on terms to release Nathan to AEK Athens. Nathan has been keen for sometime to look at overseas opportunities and whilst we made every effort to hold onto him with a very strong offer through the recently introduced under 23 marquee player scheme, we respect and support Nathan’s desire to compete in a European league and he most certainly goes with our very best wishes.”

“It has been wonderful for the club to have brought Nathan to Adelaide and to have been a key to his professional personal development over the past couple of years.

We know that Nathan is a great talent and feel that he has a big future in front of him.”

Burns is currently in Athens for the announcement and if all of the paper work is completed, it could see him join his new club by July 1, 2008. AEK Athens finished second in the Greek Super League last season, two points behind champions Olympiacos.

The 20 year old made a total of 54 appearances and scored 11 goals for Adelaide United FC (35 appearances and 9 goals in the Hyundai A-League). He was the club’s equal leading scorer in the Hyundai A-League 2006/07 Season, scored the first ever hat trick for the club and is also a capped Qantas Socceroo, having made his debut in 2007 against Singapore after coming on as a second half substitute.

Burns is scheduled to arrive back in Adelaide on Thursday 12 June. There will be a media opportunity with Burns on his arrival from Athens, with flight times and details to be advised.

Burns’ departure to play in Europe follows former United team mate Bruce Djite’s move to a European club, Djite having signed with Turkish side Genclerbirligi.

Nathan Burns

DOB 7-May-1988

Place of Birth Blayney, NSW

Position Striker

Height 175cm

Weight 71kg

Club History

2006-2008 Adelaide United FC

2006 AIS

2005 Parramatta Eagles (NSW State League)

2003-2004 NSW Institute of Sport

2002 Country NSW U/14-16

Adelaide United FC Appearances

Hyundai A-League 35 (9 goals)

TOTAL 54 (11 goals)

Hyundai A-League Debut Appearance:

v Melbourne Victory (L0-2), Olympic Park, 25 August 2006

Hyundai A-League Debut Goal:

v Sydney FC (L1-4), Hindmarsh Stadium, 2 October 2006

Representative Honours

Qantas Socceroos, Qantas Under 23s, Qantas Young Socceroos, Qantas Joeys

Institutes & Academies

NSWIS, AIS

Major Honours

2007 Pre-Season Cup Champions (Adelaide United FC)

2006/07 FourFourTwo Young Player of the Year

2006/07 Adelaide United FC Equal leading goal scorer (6)

2006/07 Adelaide United FC Rising Star award

2006/07 Scored Adelaide United first ever hat trick (v Central Coast Mariners, 21 Jan 2007)

2006 Pre-Season Cup Champions (Adelaide United FC)

2005 FIFA Under 17’s World Championships in Peru

I also live in Australia and Burns has impressed me whenever I have seen him play. I think AEK Adelaide is being a little too harsh. By ther same token, I don't think he will be the "next Harry Kewell" as one Greek newspaper has labelled him. Nevertheless, I think he will be a useful addition and could well surprise.

interesting that you guys rate him so much.

I dont think he is what AEK are looking for, i think he will be a flop in greece. I hope he proves me wrong but i cannot see it happening.

Lets hope he is the next Harry Kewell but dont think so.

You guys realise he is injury prone????

I think the reason why he scores every now and then is because the A league standard is crap, lets be honest here, its only new and it still has a long way to go. I think he will be for a rude awakening. The greek league is a different kettle of fish.

BURNSIE PROVE ME WRONG

Archived