Phantis Forums

Asteras vs Paok

paxiotis7

Asteras has been a pleasant surprise this year. They're in the top 5 teams! That's impressive, even though I don't really care for their dirty game.

PAOK is probably out of the playoffs this season.

ALso, it's interesting that Asteras has matched very well against the big teams in the league. They lost more points against lesser teams! I'd like to see them play a couple euro teams next season.

You PAOK fans, what do you think is the problem this season? Aris that came from Div. 2 just a couple years ago, is showing some more stability.

Not sure why this result surpriss people? Asteras is a better team then PAOK, and in eight games against the big five, Asteras has only lost once while winning five and tying two.

btw, my guy Milano proved me right, didn't he? he's the best player on the team, and showed why today in no more than 15 minutes of play. This team is only going to get better once the core of Cardozo, Filomeno, Milano, Zairi, Pavoni, and Damonte gels.

But then again, I may hear that Asteras still needs two more Euro class players to play in Europe.

Mporovilos already adressed the issue-"emeis agorazoume, den poulame".

NEXT.

Teams that sell, always say s%$#! like that. What do you want them to say? "Elate kai tous poulame olous!" ? If the big Greek teams come in for their players they'll sell them re file.

Really?

Which "smaller" Greek team has said the same?

Which "smaller" Greek team has the budget of Asteras or pocket of Mpakos?

The same "big" teams came calling for Cardozo and Filomeno in December. And Mpakos response was to BUY Damonte, Pavoni, Fytanidis, and Kyriakos.

You're not dealing with Xanthi or Larisa here. And what people don't realize is some of these players cost Mpakos a pretty penny. So if for instance AEK wants Pavoni, how are they going to afford him? Mpakos bought him for about a million, and I'm sure he would like to turn a profit, so the seling price would be upwards of that. I AEK den exei 600 xiliades gia Papadopoulo apo Irakli, pou tha vrei lefta gia tous Asterianous?

In any event, Mpakos looks like he's hell bent on making history with this team. I'd be very surprised if he were selling.

Tripolis will sell someone. If you say something to the media in football it doesnt always mean its true. Like said above, whats the manager gonna say? Tripolis will probably keep the core of there team but, will imo will sell one of their big names like filomeno or cardozo. They will sell one of them and get some one better. I think this team is on the verge of becoming a mini power in greek football.

I think it's nice to see a team from Peloponnesos be a powerhouse. It's about time.

But, in Greece there are just 3 teams that have most of the fans and the bigger budgets traditionally. They're the ones that can advance in euro play somewhat. I hope this changes, but I just don't see it in the short run. So, every player who's got something good wants to go to the big 3. Eventually a sought player will be sold by Asteras or any other smaller team. It's the team that decides but the players have a say too.

Maestro, music please??? LOL!!! :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: The famous words of the immortal Bobby Papademas.

Btw, I'm old enough to remember the Trio Bel Canto. :o

funny how most of what i said abou asteras has come true.

Everybody kept talking about how asteras would get trounced in the second round with all the away matches, and they've beat PAOK in Toumpa, tied Oly with ten men in Karaiskaki, and lost to PAO in Leoforo in the last 10 minutes. Doesn't look like they'll be crumbling anytime soon, does it?

Really?

Which "smaller" Greek team has said the same?

Which "smaller" Greek team has the budget of Asteras or pocket of Mpakos?

The same "big" teams came calling for Cardozo and Filomeno in December. And Mpakos response was to BUY Damonte, Pavoni, Fytanidis, and Kyriakos.

You're not dealing with Xanthi or Larisa here. And what people don't realize is some of these players cost Mpakos a pretty penny. So if for instance AEK wants Pavoni, how are they going to afford him? Mpakos bought him for about a million, and I'm sure he would like to turn a profit, so the seling price would be upwards of that. I AEK den exei 600 xiliades gia Papadopoulo apo Irakli, pou tha vrei lefta gia tous Asterianous?

In any event, Mpakos looks like he's hell bent on making history with this team. I'd be very surprised if he were selling.

Well Panionios said they wouldn't sell Spyropoulos. However, I didn't realise Asteras were so rich, so maybe they are an exception. We'll see. I must admit I was one of those that thought PAOK would win comfortably at home (2-0). Well done to Asteras.

Just a general observation-Asteras dip in from coincided with the addition of four new players during the winter signing period. A period of adjustment was needed. I also hear from pretty decent sources that there may have been things going on behind the scenes that will never become public. If people remember correctly, mpakos has done this before-namely step in and make drastic changes whne the team hit "rough" spots, especially when those rough patches were a result of "peculiar" circumstances.

Lastly, even though I am an Asteras supporter, something smells fishy here. how long is Mpakos going to continue losing money? and is it ever possible for Asteras to be a profitable proposition?

@aek 66,

Does Milano count as one of the two Euro class players you wer speaking of? Cause trust me, he's the best player on the team (as I had told you before), and nobody knew about him. At least until this past week.

how old is cardozo. Asteras had gone 7 weeks without a victory. thats alot. Good thing paok sucks and larisa had a iffy beginning with plaenty of horrible officiating.

Yes, but Panionios DOESN'T suck. Neither does Xanthi. And Asteras is within striking distance of Aris as well.

I believe Cardozo is 28.

Panionios is s good as any team in the league outside of the big four.

Xanthi, along with Larisa, are decent top half of the table sides. The fact that all of the above experience bad stretches during the course of a 30 week schedule is to be expected. If they didn't, they would be top of the table sides.

To call Panionos or Xanthi crap relative to the rest of the Greek League is severely misguided, to say the least.

Just a general observation-Asteras dip in from coincided with the addition of four new players during the winter signing period. A period of adjustment was needed. I also hear from pretty decent sources that there may have been things going on behind the scenes that will never become public. If people remember correctly, mpakos has done this before-namely step in and make drastic changes whne the team hit "rough" spots, especially when those rough patches were a result of "peculiar" circumstances.

Lastly, even though I am an Asteras supporter, something smells fishy here. how long is Mpakos going to continue losing money? and is it ever possible for Asteras to be a profitable proposition?

@aek 66,

Does Milano count as one of the two Euro class players you wer speaking of? Cause trust me, he's the best player on the team (as I had told you before), and nobody knew about him. At least until this past week.

we're probably better off going back to the asteras' thread in discussing this.

no, i don't think milano is enough. i gave a hypothetical of a centerback/forward addition that would push me into the 'yes, asteras is a top side in greece, can conceivably win the league and should advance to the final 32 in uefa' camp.

i'm not taking about signing azcarate and ofori-quaye as the additions. in my hypothetical, i gave tavlaridis (transfer) and baros (free transfer).

assume asteras make europe next year, you may see this as a fixture list for astera in oct. of 2008:

thurs. 2 oct. - asteras x valencia (uefa cup)

sun. 5 oct. - aris x asteras (gsl)

wed. 8 oct. - pas giannina x asteras (greek cup)

sun. 12 oct. - asteras x panionios (gsl)

thurs. 16 oct. - eintracht frankfurt x asteras (uefa cup)

sun. 19 oct. - aek x asteras (gsl)

sun. 26 oct. - asteras x xanthi (gsl) & tou agiou dimitriou

tues. 28 oct. - oxi day

thurs. 30 oct. - uefa cup break

now, i haven't seen the big bulgarian play yet for astera, but where is this side going into europe and all these fixtures with filomeno, ceserec, kabourov and ioannou? is milano better as a wide forward or a wide attacking midfielder, ala zairi? lots of questions here, especially at center forward.

the same holds true for the defense backline. anyways, 15 points available for all sides, let's see how this plays out.

Again, I'm not sure how Asteras being in the SL top FIVE necessarily equates to 1) winning the league, and 2) advancing to the last 32 in UEFA. One is not necesssarily a predicate for the others. All three propositions are mutually exclusive. Not sure why no other top 5 or eprxiako side is held to such expectations? Is this what we expect of Larisa, or Xanthi, or even Panionios? Do we expect any of these sides to win the league or advance to the 32 of UEFA?

My original proposition is that they're a top 5 SL team. THAT'S IT. And it looks like I'm pretty accurate in my assesment. But since Asteras is being held to a higher standard, I can say this-if PAO is going to the UEFA 32 with a backline of Goumas, Morris, Seric, and Nilson then surely Asteras can do sith Psomas, Lazaridis, Fytanidis, Jean Carlos, etc....... especioally when they play a flexible 5-3-1 with guys like Ofrydopoulos and Machado in the backline as well.

As far as forwards are concerned, well, Panionios was seriously challenging for a top 5 spot all year with only Debour to speak of, and Larisa really has no one either, unless you're counting recent addition Zurawski. They both went to UEFA, and both are serious top 5 SL challengers. Not to mention that Xanthi only has Radzinski and Lampriakos up front as well.

Would it be nice for Asteras to add a forward? Sure, But then again, every single Greek team needs some type of reinforcement. The issue is whether or not they're top 5 SL material, not whether they can win the league or get to UEFA's 32. And the answer to the original question is YES. Anything above and beyond that is gravy.

As far as your proposed Europe schedule, well, that schedule would be the same for the likes of Panionios, Xanthi, Larisa, and Aris also, wouldn't it? So what?

Archived