Phantis Forums

The Preliminary Squad for the Euro 08

aekrossoponti

wasnt karagounis subbed against bosnia away though? still remember he was injured early on in the first half and then subbed...

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/match?id=197278&cc=3888

although the link seems a bit unreliable if you see where the game was held ;-)still, i rember kara having problems and being subbed. awfully late by otto i have to add...

Ah, well I think I know why Karagounis is still recorded as playing the max amount of mins: He was subbed in injury time, so he still played 90 mins! :P

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

but wasn t he subbed earlier file?

I'd be lying if i said i knew mate, but it's the only logical explanation I can think of.

I know the website says he was subbed on 36 mins, but it also says Alexopoulos came on for him :rolleyes: So I really don't know. The only other explanation I can think of is that UEFA.com got it wrong, but is that probable?

Totally agree with Aek66.

How about Lagos? I think he should be tested in a friendly. He is the most promising replacement of Stelios, although I expect the latter will feature in EURO2008. I thought Otto liked him before his injury.

There is another issue to consider in my opinion: given the current situation and status of our NT, it appears more difficult to stop calling players already in the team than calling new players. I agree with the fact that Papastathopoulos is in great form and I don't see Antzas/Goumas being better than him and I totally want Patsa out of this team; but for Otto team spirit and cohesion are more important and have proved more valuable so I think he will stick with his latest statement ("This is the team plus Dellas") unless he has injuries; in which case he will have to call a new player (there is a counterexample of course when he called Kapsis when he was injured :LOL: but lets hope that he won't repeat the same mistake).

Antzas will be out for about 5 more weeks and may not be match fit when the preparation starts; therefore there is a chance there for Papastathopoulo. I am sure that the kid will feature in the after-EURO2008 team anyway.

• 4 weeks later...

Less than a week

the 23 has got to be:

Nikopolidis Chalkias Kotsolis(this is the only one I'm not sure of)

Giorkas Dellas Kyrgiakos Torosidis

Vyntra Goumas Antzas Spiropoulos

Basinas Kara Katsouranis

Stelios Patsa Tsiolis

Gekas Charistea Amantidis

Salpigidis samaras Lybe

dark horses

Sifakis, Tsorvas or someone else ..reallyI have not clue who #3 will be

(Bouzanis anyone--thats an offer he couldn't refuse)

Papasthopoulos -- has a real chance, leaving goumas or vyntra at home ( Patsa or Torosidis would back up Setaridis then)

I think you have a good idea about the 23 loup,

Kotsolis was injured and even lost his starting job with Larissa. I will be surprised if Otto calls him. I think it will be Tzorvas (to make it three Oikonomopoulos products), or Michailidis

I would not be surprised to see either Patsatzoglou or Spyropoulos stay home. I would not mind seeing Skoufalis, Christodoulopoulos or A. Papadopoulos called.

I don't see Papastathopoulos or Ninis being ready for this Euro. I think the young generation will have to wait for the next big tournament.

Here is what I think we'll see this Euro

---------------Nikopolidis---------------/////--Halkias-//-Mihailidis

Seitaridis--Delas--Kyriakos--Vintra--/////--Atzas-Spyropoulos-//-Goumas

--Torosidis--Basinas--Katsouranis---/////--Tziolis-

---------------Karagounis-------------/////--Lyberopoulos-Christodoulopoulos-//-Gianakopoulos

--------Gekas------Amanatidis-------/////--Samaras-Charisteas-//-Salpigidis

three GK, 7 Defenders, 4 DMs, 4 AMs, and 5 forwards.

I'll be in Greece and I hope to see some fireworks again :gr:

Returning players reassure Rehhagel

With less than a week until Otto Rehhagel names the 23-man Greece squad which will attempt to defend the Henri Delaunay trophy won at UEFA EURO 2004™, the German coach can take satisfaction from the timely return to fitness of a number of his key players.

Coming back

The 69-year-old coach has been harbouring fitness concerns over several members of his squad in recent months, but one by one they are nearing full fitness ahead of the Group D kick-off against Sweden in Salzburg on 10 June. Rehhagel has said previously that, should he have a fit group of players, the squad is likely to be similar to the one which was named for March's 2-1 friendly win against Portugal.

Defensive duo

Club Atletico de Madrid full-back Giourkas Seitaridis underwent achilles tendon surgery on both legs in November but has now featured in four matches, while fellow defender Sotirios Kyrgiakos has had no problems following his return to Bundesliga action at the beginning of the month with Eintracht Frankfurt after a nose injury.

Play-off knocks

Panathinaikos FC striker Dimitrios Salpingidis also sustained a nose injury recently and will wear a protective mask in his team's next matches in the Greek Super League play-offs. In the same competition, Traianos Dellas suffered a minor calf in jury while playing for AEK Athens FC, causing the defender to miss the last two matches.

Final fixtures

Rehhagel will hope none of his other players receive any injuries during the final week of club action before the Greece squad gather to start preparing for UEFA EURO 2008. Olympiakos CFP quartet Antonios Nikopolidis, Vassilis Torosidis, Christos Patsatzoglou and Paraskevas Antzas are in Greek Cup final action against Aris Thessaloniki FC and Greece team-mate Konstantinos Chalkias on 17 May, while earlier in the week, Panathinaikos and AEK conclude their play-off campaigns. Further afield, Georgios Samaras is involved in a Scottish Premier League title battle for Celtic FC, with Seitaridis, and Bundesliga based duo Theofanis Gekas and Angelos Charisteas still having one more fixture left to fulfil in their respective league programmes.

I'm in a state of shock Larsson is returning back to the Swedish national team for the 3rd time. :o

This news has been going on for days and now this rumor is offical.

I guess Lars called him up after he is doing so well in the Alksvenska League, he is in top form for a 36 year old, and this may not be good news for Greece. He still has a good scoring touch.

I just made this little application to play around with different Greece NT formations as EURO 2008 approaches

Be the coach of our NT. Click and drag the players on the field to create different formations. Choose who sits on the bench. Sorry that's all :P

GREECE NATIONAL FOOTBALL TEAM INTERACTIVE

Posted Image

Have fun. :D

nice :tup:

I just made this little application to play around with different Greece NT formations as EURO 2008 approaches

Be the coach of our NT. Click and drag the players on the field to create different formations. Choose who sits on the bench. Sorry that's all

great stuff here, cyberfish. i lobbied to get something much more basic, to no avail i guess. this looks very jazzy...

It hasn't been forgotten, but it's not very likely to happen in the short run, including an implementation with the forum.

Other things are on their way though, like a new skin for this very subforum! :)

So the search for the final 23 continues...

otto announced the 24 players for the filiko against hungary among with the usual suspects papastathopolous was also nominated.

http://www.epo.gr/detail.asp?e_article_id=...rticle_cat_id=2

whether this means anything for the final squad or not is subject to debate. in case otto decides to take along papastathopoulos, i believe there are very few scenarios.

first off stelios, tziolis seem untouchable due to the thin midfield we boast. vyntra had a good game against cyprus and seems much better as a RB- backup than patsa.

i dont know about deforme patsa but he is one of ottos darlings and will certainly feature at the euro.

i also dont think otto will leave one of goumas or antzas at home. unless the latter is not deemed matchfit. given the recent injuries of kiriakos and antzas and the eternal injury proneness of dellas, it could make sense to take a fifth defender along.

this leaves salpigidis. otto was never a huge fan of him and he just seems to weak as an attacking winger. he wont be getting any chance at centre forward given the depth we have there. would it make sense to take six strikers along for otto?

by this logic i think the decision comes down to salpi vs papastathopoulos. in this case sad but true i am all for papastathopoulos!

i am very disappointed that ninis or even lazaros didnt get another chance. i think ninis could help us much more than stelios or even salpi.

So the search for the final 23 continues...

otto announced the 24 players for the filiko against hungary among with the usual suspects papastathopolous was also nominated.

http://www.epo.gr/detail.asp?e_article_id=...rticle_cat_id=2

whether this means anything for the final squad or not is subject to debate. in case otto decides to take along papastathopoulos, i believe there are very few scenarios.

first off stelios, tziolis seem untouchable due to the thin midfield we boast. vyntra had a good game against cyprus and seems much better as a RB- backup than patsa.

i dont know about deforme patsa but he is one of ottos darlings and will certainly feature at the euro.

i also dont think otto will leave one of goumas or antzas at home. unless the latter is not deemed matchfit. given the recent injuries of kiriakos and antzas and the eternal injury proneness of dellas, it could make sense to take a fifth defender along.

this leaves salpigidis. otto was never a huge fan of him and he just seems to weak as an attacking winger. he wont be getting any chance at centre forward given the depth we have there. would it make sense to take six strikers along for otto?

by this logic i think the decision comes down to salpi vs papastathopoulos. in this case sad but true i am all for papastathopoulos!

i am very disappointed that ninis or even lazaros didnt get another chance. i think ninis could help us much more than stelios or even salpi.

The problem is if we don't take Salpi we only have one goal-scoring centre-forward in Gekas, and he's not in great form. We know Antzas can play centre-mid so we don't need Tziolis imo.

we would also have lympe. samaras, charisteas and amanatidis can all play centre forward. and are higher in ottos ranking than salpi.

i see your point, but remember salpi has NEVER played centre forward in the ethniki. otto probably doesnt rate him there.

tziolis has one major benefit, he is extremely good in the air. thats what a pao fan explained to me. neither basinas nor katsou are very good in the air. thus in case we lead tziolis could come in handy for ottos play.

Archived