Phantis Forums

The Preliminary Squad for the Euro 08

aekrossoponti

PAO have conceded only 7 goals after 21 league games, while every other team has conceded atleast twice that many goals. If Goumas continues playing the way he is and leads PAO to the Greek championship he will be voted the league's MVP.

That goal PAO conceded against Rangers was more about being unlucky than a case of bad defending. In the first leg though Goumas did make a mistake that nearly allowed Rangers a go ahead goal, but aside from that one instance Goumas was stellar throughout both legs and without question PAO's best player in the return leg.

I think he's very deserving of a place at Euro 08 given his form and even worthy of starting, not that there's anything wrong with what Dellas and Kyrgiakos got going.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Say were probably bringing four center backs, it wouldnt unrealistic if we saw otto pick gouma.I probaly would pick him as a four CB. Id bring antzas, kyriakos, Papasthaopouls and Goumas. But i doubt well see papashtopoulos in the euros so i think goumas has a realistic chance

no castillo

no malarz

yes bouzanis

i agree with this.

we badly need a new keeper, come on is there anyone in greece that can catch a ball who isnt 40 years old. bouzanis although an australian/greek should play for greece. if anyone in this forum lives in australia particularly melbourne, sydney adelaide and has also been to greece... you will definately agree that greek australians (born to greek parents) have just as much greek pride than greeks in greece.. if not more..

legend - i have gotten in trouble in the past and am avoiding conflict with you.. but please just end all your accusations regarding the castillo topic.. it is getting annoying and tiring to many uses.. please stop it if possible.

Goumas is more experienced than both Papastathopoulos and Papadopoulos.

The fact that Otto gave new talent a chance is a message for the players that have long featured (at the bench or as regulars) that all positions are open.

Despite this, I can't see the use of papadopoulos or papastathopoulos on the bench at this moment, (perhaps for the new campaign starting september) where we have a Goumas who is experienced, has attacking flaire and is currently on top form; I am sure that Otto will choose Goumas. In fact I will go a step further: I'd rather have Goumas than a very slow Dellas for a starting 11 (Antzas is not reliable enough for me as a Central Middlefielder alongside Kyriakos).

I am not concerned about the first game against Sweden, we will be 110% ready, as we were prepared for the first game 4 years ago. It is the observation that we were less prepared for the remaining games of the first round of games that worries me a little, but the opponents nature will take care of that.

I see Otto bringing Dellas, Kyrgiakos, Antzas and Goumas. I see Otto sticking with Dellas and Kyrgiakos in the back. They are very intimidating defenders given their reputation and size and they've featured for Greece the most in the past two years. Goumas can fill in for either Dellas and Kyrgiakos and is playing some of his best soccer to date, he can score and is an overall solid defender. Antzas is a tough tackler, a good marker and good with the ball at his feet. Overall he is having a very good season. I see Otto calling these guys up for sure. Kapsis is also another possible call-up, he actually played very well last time he featured for Greece (one of the better players in the final qualifying match). I wouldn't be surprised if Otto calls upon his services. Not to mention either Basinas or Katsouranis can play as a CB.

I really like Papastathopoulos. He has one thing none of these guys I mentioned have, and that's pace (not to mention he can dribble and create chances for teammates, an added bonus to his play). None of these guys are quick, and if a forward gets the better of them they'll just foul that player or eat his dust. He is a special talent and still in his teens. The only thing he lacks is experience. I think he can play for Greece, he is capable from a technical standpoint, but I just don't see Otto calling upon and I can understand why. Otto likes to bring young players in slowly so that they developpe and adjust to his style with very little difficulty (it enables Otto to build his teams with emphasis on spirit and unity).

A.Papadopoulos is a good defender, but he doesn't offer anything any of aforementioned players can't offer and he lacks the experience. I just can't see how he can benefit the team at this time.

I see Otto bringing Dellas, Kyrgiakos, Antzas and Goumas. I see Otto sticking with Dellas and Kyrgiakos in the back. They are very intimidating defenders given their reputation and size and they've featured for Greece the most in the past two years. Goumas can fill in for either Dellas and Kyrgiakos and is playing some of his best soccer to date, he can score and is an overall solid defender. Antzas is a tough tackler, a good marker and good with the ball at his feet. Overall he is having a very good season. I see Otto calling these guys up for sure. Kapsis is also another possible call-up, he actually played very well last time he featured for Greece (one of the better players in the final qualifying match). I wouldn't be surprised if Otto calls upon his services. Not to mention either Basinas or Katsouranis can play as a CB.

I really like Papastathopoulos. He has one thing none of these guys I mentioned have, and that's pace (not to mention he can dribble and create chances for teammates, an added bonus to his play). None of these guys are quick, and if a forward gets the better of them they'll just foul that player or eat his dust. He is a special talent and still in his teens. The only thing he lacks is experience. I think he can play for Greece, he is capable from a technical standpoint, but I just don't see Otto calling upon and I can understand why. Otto likes to bring young players in slowly so that they developpe and adjust to his style with very little difficulty (it enables Otto to build his teams with emphasis on spirit and unity).

A.Papadopoulos is a good defender, but he doesn't offer anything any of aforementioned players can't offer and he lacks the experience. I just can't see how he can benefit the team at this time.

Excellent post. Although I think Antzas will be ahead of Goumas in the pecking order because he isn't actually slow. He's lanky strides make him deceptively quick and he's had a great CL campaign, not to mention a fantastic performance against Turkey (albeit in Centre-mid). By the World Cup qualifying campaign I'm sure Dellas and Goumas will step aside and Antzas will start with Kyriakos, and Papastathopoulos will move to the bench while Avraam hovers around...

Unless of course he re-calls Kapsis! :P

checking out the new website for EURO 2010 I noticed that Goumas played 1 full game and that is it---I was sure he played more than that, it certainly felt like it---also Antzas has played much less than I expected --- in reality both are very dependable backups if cards or injuries come into play.

talking about fullbacks- I-like most of you-am hoping that Spyropoulos keeps playing well for PAO and can displace Torosidis at LB - two reasons for this:

1- Toro is a decent marker but some deadly winger will rip him a new one like what happened to Fyssas at times in 2004

2 - Toro as a midfielder wing if we go to a 4-4-2, or as a starter in a 4-3-3 with Kara off the bench, would help us greatly

I liked what we did in qualifying but I think Otto has a major surprise up his sleeve for the finals--we'll see

99 days :gr:

Good news, we have a problem less:

Seeing the latest Olympiakos performance I have to declare patsatzoglou is out of the squad. The player was abysmal for a long period of time and I hope that even Olympiakos funs will finally accept what I said a long time ago about patsatzoglou being : "mapa to karpouzi". I am glad a lot of export reporters and other football funs have also noted this.

This is good news, a headache less of our NT.

• 2 weeks later...

as the euro is approaching quite rapidly, it makes sense to have another look at our potential squad for the tournament. in any case the portugal friendly should give a good indication what we can expect.

Goalkeepers

not much discussion here. nikopolidis and chalkias are set for otto. nikopolidis should be the starter. he is much better than chalkias. actually chalkias shouldnt even make the final cut judging by his performances. i was evidently wrong in backing chalkias vs nikopolidis. the third keeper is up for grabs. michailidis maybe.

Nikopolidis

Chalkias

michailidis

outsiders: kotsolis, tzorvas, ambaris, sifakis

Defenders

our strength position. dellas and kiriakos are the starter here. antzas and goumas should probably be set for otto.

i would drop kapsis and hope otto does too. then i would drop at least one out of gouams and antzas not sure which one though. aek66 guided me to this decision. papastathopoulos is a must for me. i am unsure of a. papadopoulos. at times a great player but at times also rather anatolakis-esque.

Dellas

Kiriakos

Antzas

Goumas

papastathopoulos

other choices:kapsis, , a. papadopoulos

questions: will otto take 5 cb to the tournament? probably.

will he drop kapsis? hopefully.

is a.pap ready? unsure

the left backs:

this should be set. question is whether venetidis can grab a piece of euro action. i still doubt him being called upon. so it comes down to the question of takin vyntra along or leaving him behind. he is not as bad as everyone makes him. since he wont see any playing time though, it would make sense to drop him. if toro is considered a rightback then it would make sense to bring either vyntra or venetidis in as a a replacement for spyropoulos.

Toro

Spyropoulos

outsiders: venetidis, vyntra

the right backs:

one of our our strongest positions. in my dream world toro and patsa would battle it out. since otto views toro as a left back option this is going to be hard. personally i dont think patsa is on par as right back.

Giourkas

Patsa

other choices: Vyntra

Midfielders

our problem zone. basinas, kara and katsouranis are fixtures and starters here. patsa would make my squad here as well. i am unsure about tziois but otto will probably take him along. i am not sure he has enough to offer though.

lagos has shown he is not htere yet to help the team. so unless he can still prove his worth, it wouldnt make sense to take him along. the portugal game would be a good test. aprt from those players the prospect of makos is also looming but highly unlikely. ninis could add an offensive notion the team desperately needs but is a very unlikely call.

the bigh question is whether we will see stelios in the squad.

Basinas

Katsouranis

Karagounis

Tziolis

options: Stelios, Makos, ninis, lagos

Strikers

another positon where he have an abundance of options. if the tournament would be tomorrow i d take gekas, amanatidis, samaras, charisteas and salpi along. there is a questionmark after lympes name. he showed poor form all season. christodoulopoulos is another option.

Charisteas

Gekas

Amanatidis

Samaras

Salpi

options: lympe, christodoulopoulos, pap

given his part in the qualifying success, lympe should be a given for otto.

http://www.sport-fm.gr/article.jsp?id=124272

this should be a good indication for the final squad. otto called 22 players for the portugal clash. except for tzorvas as third keeper we see no surprises. also as i said no venetidis.

somewhat disappointing not to see papastathopoulos or any of the young hopefulls. same old by otto probabaly means we hit the euro with kapsis and vyntra.

http://www.sport-fm.gr/article.jsp?id=124272

this should be a good indication for the final squad. otto called 22 players for the portugal clash. except for tzorvas as third keeper we see no surprises. also as i said no venetidis.

somewhat disappointing not to see papastathopoulos or any of the young hopefulls. same old by otto probabaly means we hit the euro with kapsis and vyntra.

File I've asked a few people in Cyprus (APOEL fans) and they've told me that Kapsis is fit. So I doubt he go.

that roster is bound to change. It is impossible for otto to determine his roster from this far back due to injurys, poor form, hot form etc.

Imo Patsa should be dropped. he did nothing today. The back wingers for our team should be yourkas and toro staring, with spyropoulos or vnytra comming in. Id rather pantos then patsa. Maybbe im stretching but i wouldnt mind someone like mellisis to get another call up and a chance

Take this to the bank: as long as Dellas is fit, he will be starting alongside Kyriakos.

Another point, Patsa is not a defender. I remember advocating to have this player on the Ethniki a while back (after his good performance against Bosnia); however, only as a RM (and even here, we have enough depth to make Patsa a bench player).

Lybe is hugely important and if he wasn't in the squad we may not have qualified. Can the same be said about Samaras & Salpi? Personally I don't see the point in taking both Samaras and Lybe, so I would take yesterday's squad, plus Dellas obviously, and Lybe (not Samaras).[/b][/color]

same sqaud as yesterday, minus patsa plus spyropoulos.

i would rather see lambros choutos as a backup rather than samaras, papadopoulos and lymberopoulos

as far as the side, i'm thinking that otto is toeing the line, not wanting ceratin players to get complacent yet also reassuring them. does this mean that lymbe is out? that's ok by me. i'd like to see a few other players shown the door too.

i think lympe was part of the nominated players though.

to be honest, it would make sense to drop goumas, stelios, tziolis, vyntra and lympe who is in a horrible form but we cant fill all these gaps some two months before the euro and it wouldnt make sense to call 5 rookies out of the blue. so we should basically be happy if otto decides to somehow take papastathopoulos along. which would be a surprise though.

i am with dude on patsa . patsa was one of our most effective players in the qualifying. he deserves his spot. but right back is not where he should play. as a sub he could help i think.

as far as the side, i'm thinking that otto is toeing the line, not wanting ceratin players to get complacent yet also reassuring them. does this mean that lymbe is out? that's ok by me. i'd like to see a few other players shown the door too.

i think lympe was part of the nominated players though.

to be honest, it would make sense to drop goumas, stelios, tziolis, vyntra and lympe who is in a horrible form but we cant fill all these gaps some two months before the euro and it wouldnt make sense to call 5 rookies out of the blue. so we should basically be happy if otto decides to somehow take papastathopoulos along. which would be a surprise though.

i am with dude on patsa . patsa was one of our most effective players in the qualifying. he deserves his spot. but right back is not where he should play. as a sub he could help i think.

Lybe always does well for Greece though.

I think there's no doubt that Patsa will be a bench player, on only for the right side. I no longer trust him in centre-mid after some woeful performance in midfield. Either way, he'll only be a squad player. If the Euro was tomorrow my 23 man squad would be:

GK: Nikopolidis, Chalkias, Kotsolis.

DEF: Seitaridis, Dellas, Kyriakos, Torosidis, Goumas, Antzas, Spyropoulos, Patsa.

MID: Basinas, Katsouranis, Karagounis, Stoltidis (If Otto really wanted him he would have played, if not then Tziolis), Giannakopoulos, Ninis.

STR: Haristeas, Salpi, Lybe, Amanatidis, Gekas, Samaras.

So the usual suspects but Ninis in, Vintra out.

However, with the Euro's still a couple of friendlies away, I'd try Tavlaridis, Ninis (to see if he can cut it), Tzorvas, Papastathopoulos, Petropoulos, Mitroglou, Makos.

But in reality, if we cut Lybe as many are suggesting, who would you put in instead? We have to take 23.

Archived