Phantis Forums

The Preliminary Squad for the Euro 08

aekrossoponti

i agree with you on lympe. my point was just that he has been horrible this season for aek. in the ethniki he did his part. at the moment probably in-form choutos or papadopoulos would be the only alternatives if we leave lympe out and want to take another striker.

lets forget about stoltidis. my 23-man squad given everything we have seen until now would be:

gk: nikopolidis, chalkias, kotsolis

def: giourkas, dellas, kiriakos, papastathopoulos, spyropoulos, torosidis, antzas

mids: basinas, katsou, kara, patsa, makos, stelios, christodoulopoulos

forwards: gekas, amanatidis, charisteas, samaras, salpi, lympe

in contrast to otto i would drop goumas and take papastathopoulos. i am still unsure whether we would need a fifth cb in which case i d take avraam along.

in midfield i dropped tziolis as he wont see much playing time or help the team. i liked what i saw from makos more. so i d give him a chance. of course, it would make sense to test the kid but we didn t.

christodoulopolos was my last choice and somewhat of hard one. an unknown at ethniki level really but has played well for paok. the more natural choice would be ninis but i think it would be outrageous to take a player along that hasnt even played 5 games this season. the safest bet would be to take tziolis but we cant expect anything from him. all our def mids are superior to him vastly. he doesnt offer anything extra.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply
One thing I will say is that we need to find a replacement for Giannakopoulos ASAP!!! He's covers less ground than Nikopolidi in a game!!! He's completely lost it. When Bolton get relegated this year I'm sure he'll sign for an average Greek team... like Ioniko! :P

i agree with you on lympe. my point was just that he has been horrible this season for aek. in the ethniki he did his part. at the moment probably in-form choutos or papadopoulos would be the only alternatives if we leave lympe out and want to take another striker.

lets forget about stoltidis. my 23-man squad given everything we have seen until now would be:

gk: nikopolidis, chalkias, kotsolis

def: giourkas, dellas, kiriakos, papastathopoulos, spyropoulos, torosidis, antzas

mids: basinas, katsou, kara, patsa, makos, stelios, christodoulopoulos

forwards: gekas, amanatidis, charisteas, samaras, salpi, lympe

in contrast to otto i would drop goumas and take papastathopoulos. i am still unsure whether we would need a fifth cb in which case i d take avraam along.

in midfield i dropped tziolis as he wont see much playing time or help the team. i liked what i saw from makos more. so i d give him a chance. of course, it would make sense to test the kid but we didn t.

christodoulopolos was my last choice and somewhat of hard one. an unknown at ethniki level really but has played well for paok. the more natural choice would be ninis but i think it would be outrageous to take a player along that hasnt even played 5 games this season. the safest bet would be to take tziolis but we cant expect anything from him. all our def mids are superior to him vastly. he doesnt offer anything extra.

Why drop Goumas over Papastathopoulos? One has been with the team since 1999 and the other has played 45 minutes against a B team. You also say Tziolis doesn't offer anything extra, but what exactly does Christodopoulos or Makos have that will bolster Greece?

Realistically speaking, Otto will likely call-up Lybe, Goumas, Kapsis and Vintra. The third keeper will most likely be Kotsolis or Sifakis, the former being a more likelier call-up. Like many though I wished Stoltidis accepted Otto's offer and that Tavlaridis was given a better chance.

the evidence is there that otto just doesn't trust goumas.

the perfect example was in the fall of 2004, greece x turkey match. with dellas out, otto passed over a true centerback in goumas to team up with kapsis and utilized basinas, instead.

in a crucial match, basinas (without a team at the time) played sweeper for the 1st time in his international career.

think about it, otto preferred an un-matchfit basinas over an experienced defender in goumas.

goumas is good, but, greece has better.

very good post aek66..

your example is fantastic.. but i think goumas and kyrgiakos at the back will be a solid duo

it may be a solid duo..

if anything, greece has been blessed by the health of it's players. most players are rocks..various players have been injured before the tournament (kyrgiakos, seitaridis). we've been very lucky, not sure how long that luck will run. the back-ups are crucial.

look at turkey...altintop will most likely miss the euro, or the recent injury to sweden's fullback.

We are also very fortunate to have various players hitting excellent and/or career best form at club level..

Gekas proved to be dangerous in bundesliga last season and this season

kyrgiakos kicking ass in bundesliga solid defender and scores regularly by going up.

amanatidis also hitting career best form scoring regularly in bundesliga

charisteas a massive improvement an nurenberg compared to his bremen days his career best form.. great to see him scoring with head and feet again!

samaras not career best form.. i think his career best was at heerenveen but good to see him getting reasonable game time at celtic and also bagging a few goals..

salpigiddis always a good player.. consistent every year

karagounis - full of confidence now

the perfect example was in the fall of 2004, greece x turkey match. with dellas out, otto passed over a true centerback in goumas to team up with kapsis and utilized basinas, instead.

in a crucial match, basinas (without a team at the time) played sweeper for the 1st time in his international career.

think about it, otto preferred an un-matchfit basinas over an experienced defender in goumas.

We all know that Dellas will be the starter next to Kyriakos. The question is, will Dellas start all three group games? If we win against Sweden, I can see Otto resting Dellas against Russia and using Goumas. To me, Goumas is a better option than Antzas but in reality, they're both bench players. That being said, Dellas isn't the same player he was in 2004 and I'm thinking Otto knows that. We win against Sweden and I think we can "risk" playing Goumas against Russia and resting Dellas for Spain.

The game your talking about was about two months after Euro 04 and Basinas was still playing for PAO. Also Goumas started in the 2nd match against Turkey and he also started in the subsequent match against Ukraine. I don't think Otto distrusts Goumas, but I don't know why he played Basinas as a sweeper; its one of those great mysteries, like the reasons behind why he ignored Stoltidis and Zikos for as long as he did.

On the topic of Antzas, have you seen him in CL action? He certainly seemed up to the challenge against the likes of Robinho and Drogba, why wouldn't he be up to the challenge of playing for the NT? Plus he has fared well against Spain and Portugal in those recent friendlies, not much you can take away from those performances. Besides Nikopolidis also played badly against AEK, and he clearly isn't as good as he was while at PAO even though now he has managed to keep clean sheets against the likes of Real Madrid and seemingly saves every penalty that comes his way. If we are to drop Antzas for the reasons that he isn't the same player as he was for his ex-club (even though that isn't accurate) and had one bad game recently, shouldn't we also drop Nikopolidis and have Kotsolis start from no on despite the fact he has only one cap with the NT?

Anyways, the point I did try to make was that to insist that we should rely on players who have little or no experience on the NT is supported by what exactly? Goumas and Antzas have done a lot to prove their worth and have been with the team for years, and yeah they have made the occasional mistake or had a forgetable performance... but who hasn't? Look at the 4-1 competitive loss to Turkey, the 4-0 friendly loss to England, those are two recent games where the entire team played like they didn't deserve to be on the NT. But for most part these guys are consistant and solid performers, sometimes they make a much needed difference for their teams and they have proved that they are dependable players. The same cannot be said about some of the other names being thrown around, they simply haven't done enough or haven't been given enough of an opportunity to suggest this is what our NT needs.

• 2 weeks later...

I need to thank DUDE for his comment, to remind us that no player is beyond criticism. Stelios is in very poor form and I am worried whether he will be useful in the coming EURO and I am sad because I like him as a person.

Any ideas about a possible replacement?

I need to thank DUDE for his comment, to remind us that no player is beyond criticism. Stelios is in very poor form and I am worried whether he will be useful in the coming EURO and I am sad because I like him as a person.

How about Ninis?

How about Ninis?
NO..kid gets no playing time...how bout Makos

ya lol ... i re-read my comment and realised that you said katsouranis didnt play and I thought you were talking about karagounis.

And so ya i editied out ahaha.

Anyways... I didnt cheat either and my final answer is going to be kyriakos and basinas. I have a pretty bad memory, but im kinda surprised no one mentioned gekas? He had a lot of playing time

Guest TheLegend

ya lol ... i re-read my comment and realised that you said katsouranis didnt play and I thought you were talking about karagounis.

And so ya i editied out ahaha.

Anyways... I didnt cheat either and my final answer is going to be kyriakos and basinas. I have a pretty bad memory, but im kinda surprised no one mentioned gekas? He had a lot of playing time

Gekas only came in after the catastrophe against Turkey, I'm guessing: Spyropoulos and Makos! :P

Or was it Kyriakos and Karagounis? ;)

Bravo 2004 :tup:

Kyrgiakos and Kara

Basinas was close -- he was pulled out of one game-- didn't Tsiolis come in for him?

I was surprised to see that it was Karagounis, he couldn't go 5 minutes in 2004 without picking up a yellow - this also shows Ottos dedication to the guy, ever since the England match in 2002 he has loved him

all the info is on the UEFA site

wasnt karagounis subbed against bosnia away though? still remember he was injured early on in the first half and then subbed...

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/match?id=197278&cc=3888

although the link seems a bit unreliable if you see where the game was held ;-)still, i rember kara having problems and being subbed. awfully late by otto i have to add...

Archived