Phantis Forums

2016-2017 Rate the Squad.

Bananas

I'm curious to see people's thoughts on the squad.  Here is my view.

5 - Superstar.  Virtually impossible to find a replacement.

4 - Great player.  Very difficult to find a replacement.

3 - Solid player but ultimately replaceable.

2 - Decent player but needs to improve.

1 - GTFO now.

Goalkeepers

Glykos - Rating 3 - Has improved considerably this season.  Doesn't seem to be committing so many clangers and generally just appears to be more self assured.

Brkic - Rating 3 - A bit difficult to judge as he's had little game time but based on his performance at Fiorentina seems to be about the same level as Glykos give or take.

Defenders

Matos - Rating 4 - The best right back we've had in a long time.  For 31 years of age his fitness is impressive.  I love his white line fever too.

Leovac - Rating 3 - Does enough to justify his selection in the team without ever being overly impressive.  I feel he's hit his ceiling but maybe Tudor's 3-5-2 held him back.  Am curious to see if he has more to give.

Varela - Rating 3.5 - A bit difficult to judge but at this stage his man marking seems solid enough but his positioning can sometimes be off.  His height and physique is welcome as we were conceding stupid/cheap/weak goals last season from set pieces.

Crespo - Rating 4 - He's impressed me so far.  Very solid and seems to be calm on the ball.

Tzavellas - Rating 3 - Attitude is rating 1.

Malezas - Rating 3 - Very solid as a backup and is a club man.

Kitsiou - Rating 2 - I feel he's hit his ceiling.  Needs to improve or find another club.

Midfielders

Canas - Rating 4 - Solid DM that can actually play the role.

Cimirot - Rating 3.5 - Seems to have improved with Canas next to him which allows him to get forward a little more.  Not really a number 6 or a number 8.  He's young though, has fight in him and is definitely in our best 11 when fit.

Shakhov - Rating 3 - Gets a lot of flack for not being "attacking" enough but he can't play that role.  He's a number 8 through and through.  Runs a lot and is relatively calm on the ball.

Charisis - Rating 2 - Has gone backwards this season.  Needs to step up.  Last season I saw Cimirot and Charisis as our best midfield duo.

Pelkas - Rating 2 - I'm still unsure on this kid.  After getting a lot of game time with Tudor he seems to be going backwards.

Biseswar - Rating 4.  Fitness is rating 1.  Needs to get fit otherwise he's useless to the team.  Probably the most technical player in the squad.

Forwards

Rodrigues - Rating 5 - Beast.

Mystakidis - Rating 2 - Similar to Pelkas and Charisis, needs to show more improvement, but at least he has "mongrel" in him.

Djalma - Rating 3.5 - Good on the ball, good dribble.  Finishing is rating 1.

Klaus - Rating 3 - Has become complacent and I get the feeling the stars aligned for him last season with his goal scoring.  I don't see that happening ever again.

Koulouris - Rating 2 - Too early to judge.  Lots of enthusiasm but seems a bit deficient technically.

Pereyra - Rating 3.5 - Tricky to rate.  I don't think he can play the striker role for an entire season, but he's very valuable playing slightly deeper.  For me, he can be made into a very good super sub to help pry open teams that park the bus.  Unlike Klaus, I'd be sad to see him go as I feel he has immensely more X factor to his game.

Edited by Bananas
  • Like it 1

Oooh, I like this game! I agree with you on most, will just add comments for any different thoughts I have to yours.

Goalkeepers

Glykos - Rating 3

Brkic - Rating 3

Vellidis - Rating 3 - no better or worse than Glykos, who presumably is no better or worse than Brkic. One of Vellidis or Glykos may be part of this "clique," and we really don't need three starter-level keepers...time to let some guys go.

Defenders

Matos - Rating 4 - I think he's probably our best player (yes, even slightly better than Rodrigues).

Leovac - Rating 3 - Compared to Matos, everyone's going to look like a turd. Better than Tzavellas, only a Matos-level guy can seriously be considered to replace him.

Varela - Rating 3 - Average so far. Not sure if it's just him settling into the team. Has everything he needs, physically.

Crespo - Rating 3 - has made some dumb mistakes, but better than I thought he'd be. Nothing amazing, but seems to have a good attitude. Will be nice to see him pairing with Varela.

Tzavellas - Rating 3 - Lots of passion, but not worth the yearly drama. Can play both positions. Replaceable.

Malezas - Rating 3 - Not worried when he plays, doesn't have the physical attributes of the two new guys, but I like him.

Kitsiou - Rating 2 - Regressed. Will be easily eclipsed by Konstantinidis next season, I think.

Giannoulis - Rating n/a, since he's played all of two matches this season. Needs to get loaned, especially if we're looking at a new LB.

Midfielders

Canas - Rating 4 - Very good player. Completely tireless. Calm, cool, collected.

Cimirot - Rating 3 - I actually think he was better last year. Paired very nicely with Charisis.

Shakhov - Rating 3 - playing as a CM, he's fine - and there are flashes that imply he's even better than he's looked so far. Looks lost when he plays as an AM.

Charisis - Rating 2 - Regressed. Very talented, but has started to worry me.

Pelkas - Rating 2 - Another player who's gone backwards.

Biseswar - Rating 4 - the squad looks TOTALLY different when he plays. Fantastic passing. He desperately needs to get fit, we need him badly.

Forwards

Rodrigues - Rating 4 - We have no superstars on this team, but he's very impressive. If he were less wasteful, I'd peg him as best on the team...but Matos is a bit more consistent in his role.

Mystakidis - Rating 2.5 - Similar regression as the other Greek players, but he gets some game time. When he's on, he's wonderful.

Djalma - Rating 3 - I'm on the fence about him. I talk a lot of trash about Campos, but when he's on, he offers that right wing something completely different. Remarkably agile for someone who seems to be a solid block of muscle.

Klaus - Rating 1.5 - We were just saying a few months ago that "this year he's gonna be fed properly." Well, either that hasn't happened, or he's just become garbage. Should be sold asap.

Koulouris - Rating 2 - As Blackhawk says, he's essentially Klaus without the tattoos. More upside for Koulouris - if we sell Klaus, then keep him. If not, then us hiring a new striker this next window means he'll NEED to be loaned.

Pereyra - Rating 3.5 - I agree with what you said about him being tricky to rate. I think he's better than most of our attacking players, and he can definitely play anywhere along that front line. I have a feeling that he might be related to the troubles Ivic spoke of.

• Like it 1

It's unfortunate for Pelkas as he was rated highly by Tudor last season and almost played every game. Mystakidis and Charisis show brilliance at times but they are no where near the level of Pelkas. I hope he plays more now, not only for his development, not only to progress as a player but also for the national team as he is needed in the team. I remember in the Hungary game where he, Fortounis and Mantalos worked very well together and we won our first match of the last match of the Euro Campaign.

On 30/11/2016 at 8:40 AM, pash said:

Mistakidis is not "nowhere near the level" of Pelkas. He's a different kind of player, but has consistently been much more effective.

I just find Pelkas a better player. I also think he provides more on the field with his speed, vision and passing. Also Pelkas has been in the Ethniki and I believe he is needed again, even as a bench option. 

Edited by Dean97

Maybe I'm just annoyed with both of them. They just seem to not have the skill set needed to open up the 9-man defences that we see in Greece. Probably (possibly) would look better in a better league.

Neither is good enough.  I don't mind that they are all we have.  It's not easy to find a top quality striker to come to the GSL unless you spend millions, and even then, you'd have to wonder why a "top" quality striker would be in Greece.