Phantis Forums

ESPN,ABC awarded U.S. TV rights for 2008 Euro

NYON, Switzerland — ESPN and ABC will televise soccer's 2008 European Championship under an agreement announced today by the Union of European Football Associations.

All 31 games will be televised in the United States: two by ABC and the rest by ESPN, ESPN2 or ESPN Classic. The tournament will be played in Austria and Switzerland from June 7-29.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports...ts/4388854.html

No more pay per view :band:

UEFA EURO 2008™ will have unprecedented television coverage around the world after UEFA announced it had agreed the sale of broadcast rights to key territories outside of Europe, including the United States and Asia. "We will have coverage of the European Championship which we have never had before," said UEFA Chief Executive Lars-Christer Olsson as he announced the deal today.

'Very positive'

Explaining UEFA's strategy, Olsson said that after putting the broadcast rights to tender, the European governing body had decided to enter into direct negotiations with broadcasters in certain strategic territories in light of the quality of offers received. "We invited in August to tender for the rights for the European Championship outside Europe and we got some very positive proposals from some individual markets," said Olsson. "We decided to make direct contracts in certain territories - the United States, India, the Middle East, North Africa and Hong Kong."

http://www.uefa.com/news/newsId=489344,printer.htmx

Good news..no more ppv, although i kind of liked the BBC and ITV announcers. Now we'll have to endure the US announcers (using terms like PK <_< ). Something I can live w/ since we wont have to shell out $120 or so.

However, the one thing that stands out in that announcement through its absence is there is no mention if ESPN is required to broadcast the games live. In the CL and WC announcements I've seen the "live" language was in there.

I dont think they would screw us over like that but you never know .. their might be kana meaningless baseball game or fishing show for them to show instead. :la:

• 1 month later...

Archived