• Yes
    • No
    • Draw

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Let's be careful.

This game could have gone either way.

It was very much like the Gr-Dk game, the last Greek performance worth remembering.

Norway was pounding us in the second half, and could have scored, if not for our good luck, Antonis, and the ref's assistant. :la:

The boys showed they can still play Euro style soccer, that was the best part. :tup: The D was terrific.

Very important 3 points against a good opponent and qualification rival.

BRAVO :gr: HELLAS :gr:

PEACE

What a great day for European football!!!

Greece beat Norway, Cyprus beat Ireland, and SVERIGE BEAT SPAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:nw: :nw: :nw: :nw: :nw: Oh baby, it was a busy day for me watching 2 matches at the same time. I'm proud of Greece for what they displayed in Karaiskaki Stadium. Norway is a strong side despite the defeat, they took it too us in the 2nd half.

A surprising good first half by Greece (till the 1 : 0), where Greece controlled the game due their team's ability as a group.....but with a Norway with the better chances.

For a long time, I did not see such a homogene performance by our National Team.

Upfront, I would have preferred Salpigidis over Liberopoulos....

Seitaridis was the best player on the pitch...

What we saw yesterday by him against a very hard fighting Scandinavia team, was "European Class"

+ + +

In the second half I missed the good organisation on the field and the cool brain.

It worries me that Greece has not a single "football player" for the midfield in order to give "the beat".... Also not for the future, I don't see any "football player".... only "workers" !

At the end, the linesman saved our's and Otto's A

Anatolakis grade wise deserves a 10

he killed himself out there for a win. He saved are asses quite a few time

man of the match i personally think

Anatolakis played great. As long as he plays with heart like that he should always get the start. Hes right behind Katsouranis for man of the match.

watching the game....has interest faded already in the ethniki? stadium is only 3/4 full...

3/4, you ashamed to say 1/2?

The half that were missing where the "maidanoi" from Euro 2004. You'll see them again when we qualify to the next Euro.

Only true fans of the NT are the Aussie and American Greeks. I'm talking about the 1000 that were in Greece's group games in Portugal. The Greeks remebered they have a NT when we qualified from the group.

Greece 1 - 0 Norway

Cyprus 5 - Ireland

I'm living in dream land!

When you consider the conditions which actually suited Norway, the poor turnout from the fans (which i'm disgusted with! A bit of rain and they stay away? :tdown: ) and the amount of injuries we had I'm soooo proud of our players and manager! Bravo paidia :nw: :nw: :nw: !

My ratings:

Nikopolidis 6: Made some excellent saves, esp Riise's low drive in those conditions. However he seemed like a school kid coming for crosses and coming off his line! On another day he could have cost us the game, but in the conditions he did well.

Fyssas 7: Was solid, they offered little down the right and when they did get forward that side he was comfortable.

Anatolakis 7: Was generally solid and played with passion but he made a couple of huge mistakes! I.e. his inability to track his runner when they were wrongly given offside. If Braaten was allowed to continue that was 1-1. He did reedeem himself though with a goal-saving-last-ditch-block after Nikopolidis was caught in no mans land.

Kyriakos 10: Yes a 10!!! The way I define a 10 is "a match-winning and flawless performance. But must be exceptional and not seen every week" For me that is exactly what Kyriakos did yesterday. He swept up everything, he pulled off some wonderful blocks and amazing last-ditch tackles! For Greece, that is the best individual defensive performance I have seen since Dellas against Portugal or Seitaridis against France at Euro 2004. He was a giant and really did save us! Bravo paihtara!!! :nw: :gr: :nw:

Seitaridis 9: If he continued the second half like the first he would have contended the man of the match award. Everything he did in the first half was golden! I saw the game in a bar mixed with Greeks and Norwegians. Everytime he got the ball he'd do something that was greeted with "ooohhss and ahhhss", it was like watching Cafu at his best! :nw: Riise and Pedersen just could not live with him!!! In the second half though his game dipped slightly and he gave the ball away alot, mind you he was playing on the worst part of the pitch in the second so really he didnt cope too badly. But it did take away from him getting a 10.

Karagounis 6: Worked hard but was pretty anonymous really.

Katsouranis 7: Well taken goal and worked hard to protect the defence but he looked very uneasy on the ball in the conditions and gave the ball away in dangerous positions when he wasn't under pressure.

Basinas 8: Another very good performance for the ethniki. It amazes me how he can have such a wonderful array of passing even on such a pitch! Everytime we see him he's excellent for us! Such a great player to have!

Giannakopolous 7: I was shocked when I saw him in the starting line-up due to lack of games but he linked up well with Seitaridis with some nice 1-2's. He was a bit rusty though.

Samaras 6: Worked hard which was refreshing to see but offered little else. I dont even think he had one shot but he is a 'footballer' as oppose to a battler but he did play in tough conditions and I'm happy to see him work hard. I personally would have liked to have seen Salpingiddi play instead in this game.

Lyberopoulos 5: I'm a big Lybe fan but yesterday he was terrible. He killed many of our moves! He tried too hard to do too much and was highly ineffective.

SUBS:

Charisteas 6: When I saw him come on I thought Otto should have gone with Salpi on the right but immediately remembered his battling qualities on the right at Euro 2004. He didnt seem to rekindle that though, was very quiet.

Amanatidis 7: Great introduction, he almost scored and he's always a threat. I really like him, and feel lucky to have him in our squad.

Patza 7: Can't give him a higher rating because he wasn't on long enough, but the second he came on we were under pressure and the ball falls to his feet.... everyone around his is just hoofing the ball away from goal as far as they can, what does Patsa do? He calmly plays the ball out wide on the ground! Then Braaten was put through, a dude known for pace, and Patsa out runs him! :tup:

PAME YIA PROKRISI, (KAI ELLADA KAI KUPROS! :LOL: )!!!!!!! :nw: :gr: :nw: :gr: :nw: :gr:

Not bad at all by our team. I still think that we need to workon our counter attacking.

This is where we're lacking ALOT.

Other NT take advantage of the "quick" counter attack where our club wants to build up play and I don't think that we're talented enough to do so..

No mater what it's the points that matter and we're looking good..

ELLAS OOOOOOOLE!

i do think karagounis was a bit invisible in the 2nd half...and that was when he was needed by his team to hold the ball/create a quick counterattack.

on karagounis' behalf, many greek clearances were hit wild and karagouni had no chance to collect those clearances.

greece need karagouni against bosnia, and i hope karagouni comes through.

samaras will score goals and he will create goals.

i hope so too. i believe if our offence works, karagounis does well. but he is not the player that can create our offense. unfortunately the way we play karagounis is our offensive midfield and not very good at it. i still think high of him but if he plays as he did in the second half with no help, we play with three def mids and provide no offense at all. kartagounis isnt a great passer. actually, you pointed this out after the world cup qualifying. you were very right...

@nightsurfer:

this is exactly the problem. we dont ahave a offensive midfield PLAYER. karagounis isnt because he normally cant creat chances. as you say, who else?? kafes maybe but he tends to suck...else distixos tipota...

Samaras 6: Worked hard which was refreshing to see but offered little else. I dont even think he had one shot but he is a 'footballer' as oppose to a battler but he did play in tough conditions and I'm happy to see him work hard. I personally would have liked to have seen Salpingiddi play instead in this game.

Charisteas 6:

Amanatidis 7: Great introduction, he almost scored and he's always a threat. I really like him, and feel lucky to have him in our squad.

Patza 7:

i think you are very harsh on samaras. he was by far our best striker on the pitch. the first time since demis left have i seen a greek offensive player actually outplaying the opponents defense. i can t remember him losing a ball or making a dumb pass. he held the ball when we needed it most. also he singlehandedly CREATED a finished goal for amanatidis which was unlucky not to go in. in the process he cruised past some 3 norwegian players in the 90 th minute after have run up and down midfield all game.

why should amanatidis or patsa who played 1 minute deserve a higher grade?

i know you really like amanatidis and i do too but samaras was much better, amanatidis did nothing except for the shot at post which was created by samaras.

as for seeing salpi instead of samaras. please!!! salpi is a good player but samaras did things yesterday we would have never seen from salpi. also with salpi being small it would have been very tough for him because there were many air battles. i agree though that perhaps salpi would have been a good sub for stelios.

he was by far our best striker on the pitch. the first time since demis left have i seen a greek offensive player actually outplaying the opponents defense. i can t remember him losing a ball or making a dumb pass. he held the ball when we needed it most. also he singlehandedly CREATED a finished goal for amanatidis which was unlucky not to go in. in the process he cruised past some 3 norwegian players in the 90 th minute after have run up and down midfield all game.

why should amanatidis or patsa who played 1 minute deserve a higher grade?

i know you really like amanatidis and i do too but samaras was much better, amanatidis did nothing except for the shot at post which was created by samaras.

as for seeing salpi instead of samaras. please!!! salpi is a good player but samaras did things yesterday we would have never seen from salpi. also with salpi being small it would have been very tough for him because there were many air battles. i agree though that perhaps salpi would have been a good sub for stelios.

exactly

Also - someone mentioed Charisteas batteling - he did get back well and defend when needed - Istill think he is class

We got the three points ....next!

Nikopolidis made the stops he had to make,balls in the kane stavro!

The 1st half was the best football we've seen from Greece since Euro 04, coincidence with Zagorakis and Charisteas on the bench. Giourkas left no grass on the right side to paidi galloped all day,apart from that backheel in the 2nd halh hewas a 10++. He worked much better with stelios then with Charisteas,

Karagounis and Basinas were solid but this game under these comditions was not to be played thru short passes.

The center backs killed them selves for the 3pts Kyriakos was awesome and Anatolakis( not a fan of his) played well.

Lybe has skill and finish but should not start,he seemd lost when Stelios and Samaras let passes go thru he was flatfooted.He serves much better in the SUPERSUB role off the bench.

OFF TO BOSNIA!

3/4, you ashamed to say 1/2?

The half that were missing where the "maidanoi" from Euro 2004. You'll see them again when we qualify to the next Euro.

Only true fans of the NT are the Aussie and American Greeks. I'm talking about the 1000 that were in Greece's group games in Portugal. The Greeks remebered they have a NT when we qualified from the group.

I think the fact that there was a downpour had an affect on the crowd.

That being said, Greeks are a fickle lot. We are quick to jump on the bandwagon with our mullets playing "Final Countdown" with our mixanes running kourses when we are winning, but when things aren't going well we dissappear.

Also you correctly point what many in the Greek media did not, and that is that the vast majority of Greece's supporters initially at Euro 2004 were Greeks from the Diaspora (Especially from Australia! But not forgetting from Canada and the US.)

Then the Sakides' and the "Natasades" and the rest of the Athenians got on board when they realised that Hellas was not just there to make up the numbers.

:gr:

Interesing game in the rain. Congrats to our ethniki and I liked how they came out flying in the beginning and saw new flare but evenutally lost steam after the 2nd half. I hate when they defend only on one goal and they were lucky Riise didn't connect.

I thought Blaten was full of himself.

Charisteas..poor kid I would like to see him shine again. Hero 2 years ago but out of spotlight. You can surely see the impact when Samaras plays well. Glad Basinas played. Thumbs up to Anatolakis. He was really playing hard and I thought eventually would lose his breath but he finished.

With the floods you wouldnt know which way the game would go. Thanks to the Rain Gods B)

For anyone that missed the game, highlights are  here

What a freak hit off the post in extra time!

Congrats to Greece, keep it coming.  :gr:

I saw the game, man I wished Amanatidis would score his 1st international goal for HELLAS!!! :(

That looked so goal-bound!!! :angry:

BTW, is the language Dutch? :D

Archived