Phantis Forums

DISH's Big Fat Greek Programming

Antenna TV and EchoStar's DISH Network launched five new Greek channels after renewing a long-term agreement to expand the Greek television programming line-up. Antenna TV subs now can add two new TV channels, Antenna Music and Antenna Gold, along with three Greek radio stations: Antenna Radio, Rythmos Radio and Super Sport FM.

Antenna Music is the first 24-hour Greek music video channel featuring current hits, exclusive interviews, music concerts and additional special programs from Greece; and Antenna Gold is a thematic channel designed for fans of classic Greek TV.

Serving the public since 1988, Antenna Radio offers listeners up-to-the-minute news; Rythmos Radio showcases the latest hits from popular Greek musicians; and Super Sport FM features sports programs with sportscasters from top sports outlets in the country.

With the launch of these new channels, DISH plans to offer customers the Antenna Satellite for $14.99 per month ; Antenna Package (Antenna Satellite, Antenna Music, Antenna Gold, Antenna Radio, Rythmos Radio and Super Sport FM) for $22.99 per month; Antenna Package +1 other Greek channel for $32.99 per month; Antenna Package +2 other Greek channels for $39.99 per month and Greek Super Package, all Greek channels for $50.99 per month.

DISH Network offers more than 132 international channels in more than 25 languages including Arabic, Chinese, Portuguese, Korean, Hindi and Russian.

From Sky R News,

DKSat

Hey Guys,

Some news for you about ANT1 Music. I just came across a press release from Antenna that is posted on the Antenna Satellite website. It mentions the following:

Antenna Music powered by MAD

It seems Antenna has entered into an agreement with MAD TV giving them access to their programming, including music videos, concerts and specials. This is great news IMO as this channel may not suck so much after all. When I first heard about this channel I thought 'Oh great, looks like a Fame Story channel' but now with access to MAD TV's music library the programming on this channel should improve- hopefully. Me thinks they saw the writing on the wall, without access to MAD programming (they have the largest music database in Greece) what exactly would they have shown except for Fame Story stuff?! That crap is not my cup of tea, so thanks Antenna for showing us some good music, courtesy of MAD TV.

I guess this also means that we won't be seeing MAD World here in North America. So looks like Australia gets MAD World and we get ANT1 Music.

So far all I see is music videos, still waiting for some of the other programing mentioned.

Antenna Launches New Channels

:gr:

It seems Antenna has entered into an agreement with MAD TV giving them access to their programming, including music videos, concerts and specials.

I guess this also means that we won't be seeing MAD World here in North America. So looks like Australia gets MAD World and we get ANT1 Music.

I've never heard of MAD. Can someone please fill us in?

With the launch of these new channels, DISH plans to offer customers the Antenna Satellite for $14.99 per month ; Antenna Package (Antenna Satellite, Antenna Music, Antenna Gold, Antenna Radio, Rythmos Radio and Super Sport FM) for $22.99 per month; Antenna Package +1 other Greek channel for $32.99 per month; Antenna Package +2 other Greek channels for $39.99 per month and Greek Super Package, all Greek channels for $50.99 per month.

One word:

KLEFTES!!

It's expensive to be Greek living abroad these days, but if people weren't paying it, they wouldn't be charging what I consider to be a lot of money for this programming.

Anyone know how the various Greek channels/packages have been faring relative to one another and in general, given original expectations?

I've never heard of MAD. Can someone please fill us in?

MAD TV is a music channel in Greece, basically Greece's MTV. They recently launched an international channel (MAD World) for Greeks abroad. It launched in Australia last year and was supposed to come here but now with the launch of ANT1 Music that probably won't happen. Antenna is getting programming from MAD (i.e. music videos, concert footage, etc.).

Here are some links for you to check out:

MAD TV

MAD TV article from Wikipedia

MAD World article from Wikipedia

The price on the Greek packages are very good i was surprise that they are that low .

TV Japan is $ 29.95 a month on Dish Net thats only one channel.

DKSat

I agree. I am amazed that this little-spoken language has so many TV and Radio channels available.

Star is for those in Greece, its schedule is 90% foreign shows which you already receive in the United States, so why would you want that channel? There are a few Greek shows but the rest would not be shown due to rights issues, I presume. I checked out their schedule for the service available in Australia and its terrible. Not much there, just the same shows repeated over and over.

Alpha would be good but I am happy with the 4 channels curently available (Mega, ERT, Alter & ANT1). I don't see a need for any others, that would just drive up subscription costs for all these channels.

I agree. I am amazed that this little-spoken language has so many TV and Radio channels available.

I think the reason for this is maybe Greeks like watching TV, otherwise all these channels would not be looking to expand into this market if there was no money to be made.

Archived