Phantis Forums

Team USA

AEKARA-YIA-PANTA

For anyone who saw USA-Italy this afternoon......the referee was down right aweful. Never again should this individual from Uruguay ever ref an international soccer game again. He ruined the flow of the game. He took a chance for victory away from the Americans.

Not even Vassaras is that awful with an AEK-PAO game!!!!

The red card to Mastroeni was a bad decision. The ejection to Eddie Pope was just as bad. After the game, I saw that this same ref was banned from the 2002 World Cup for irregularities in his decisions.

Nonetheless, i still predict that USA will advance to the 2nd round with a win against Ghana and a loss by the Czechs. Let's go USA!!!

c'mon man!!! the ref was simply awesome... all his red cards were correct...

De Rossi: elbowed Benny... straight red! ;)

Mastoriani or sumthin: horrendous tackle at Pirlo's ankle... straight red! ;)

Pope Eddie II: catches the thigh of the Italian player with his backfoot... second yellow ;)

Cancelled Goal: Benny was right in front of Buffon... He couldn't see the ball and misheld it... Correct decision ;)

I hope for Ghana and Czechs... Italy and USA looked quite out of it for these two games... :blink:

Pope should've seen straight red as the last man who brings down an attacker on a breakaway. Other than that, the ref called a fair game with perhaps a foul too many given.

Having said that: what about another ultra-suspicious result??? :tdown:

Italy couldn't create better opportunities that that??? There was no urgency to their play and as soon as they scored one goal, they concede another (an owngoal at that)...

Mark this one down next to:Sweden - Trinidad and Mexico-Angola. :tdown:

For anyone who saw USA-Italy this afternoon......the referee was down right aweful. Never again should this individual from Uruguay ever ref an international soccer game again. He ruined the flow of the game. He took a chance for victory away from the Americans.

Not even Vassaras is that awful with an AEK-PAO game!!!!

The red card to Mastroeni was a bad decision. The ejection to Eddie Pope was just as bad. After the game, I saw that this same ref was banned from the 2002 World Cup for irregularities in his decisions.

Nonetheless, i still predict that USA will advance to the 2nd round with a win against Ghana and a loss by the Czechs. Let's go USA!!!

I saw the match and I agree.... He ruined the match. Yeah the cards were correct, but what he needed to do is stop all those tackles before hand by issuing yellows earlier in the game...

No matter what, this match is going to go down in the history books...

I was dissapointed in the fact that the Italians didin't want to get a go ahead goal. Yeah they pressed but they weren't the Italians we know...

Makes you think if this match was fixed or not....

I can't believe these posts. You don't red card players for late side tackles! Give them a warning, give them a yellow but this idiot was pulling out the reds like there was no tomorrow. The De Rossi elbow was the only time he got it right. These same exact tackles you see all the time; this ref doesn't deserve a damn job! Horrible game. AEKARA the ref didn't take away a chance for victory from the Americans because they had NO CHANCE and they still have no chance. Ghana are a very good side and will beat the crap out of them.

I can't believe these posts. You don't red card players for late side tackles! Give them a warning, give them a yellow but this idiot was pulling out the reds like there was no tomorrow. The De Rossi elbow was the only time he got it right. These same exact tackles you see all the time; this ref doesn't deserve a damn job! Horrible game. AEKARA the ref didn't take away a chance for victory from the Americans because they had NO CHANCE and they still have no chance. Ghana are a very good side and will beat the crap out of them.

I agree with everything you said except the fact that the USA will be lose. I think that there is a new sense of urgency in the team. They came out more aggressive and wanted the win more than the Italians. Italy played the same game as they did against Ghana. Not the Italian team that everyone expected at the start of this world cup. But I do expect the same style of play against Czech.

I can't believe these posts. You don't red card players for late side tackles! Give them a warning, give them a yellow but this idiot was pulling out the reds like there was no tomorrow. The De Rossi elbow was the only time he got it right. These same exact tackles you see

you dont red card players for late tackles??? errr yes you do. :blink:

tackles like this all the time? ues. and they get yellow carded. all the time.

arent you taking Balboas word for word btw :whistle:

every red card despite US commentators bitching was fair

1- viscious, intentional elbow in the face (and it being right after an own goal and a youngster de rossi this is obviously frustration taken out on the other team, arrivederci to de rossi and fairly)

2- late, 2 footed tackle from behind cleats up right into Andrea's legs, no chance for ball....check the rulebook. Thats a red card. :nono:

3- Pope gets a yellow card first half-------then second half makes a poor timed challenge from behind, gets no ball......that would be a yellow card. 2 yellows = RED kai ante geia! I mean with a player sent off already, half time woudlnt the coach say Eddie be cautious we dont need another red?! what does he do? a horrible tackle from behind to get him off the field.

These are just the rules, yell at FIFA for making them not the ref for enforcing them.

Irony is with Pope in USA might have lost that game :P

Eddie Pope is an awful player (watch him vs Gilardino on the goal.....hes sitting there with his hand up (Gila way onside) while Gilardino breaks through and scores....nice job. Conrad came on and played faaaaaaarr better.... Players like Eddie Pope in the WC is like taking Padelis Konstantinidis into the Seria A or Prem league.....just a dumb decision. Hes weak, out of form, not reliable at all. Conrad is the exact opposite.

Arena made a misake not taking off McBride at the end.....if you had put Eddie Johnson in there they might have even won....Eddie Johnson is so damn fast and the Italian defense was so tired it really would have been a nightmare....McBride could hardly move too....

but i think Italy will beat the Czechs (they were horrible today) and USA - Ghana is an open match.....bad news is no Mastroeni...good news is Pope cannot play :tup:

both will be really exciting matches.....the pity is there on at the same time :tdown:

i think USA can do it and so can Italia!! :tup:

Bottom line everyone the US is going to go out of this CUp and that's it... Ghana is going to fight for that 2nd spot along w/ the Chechs but I think that the goal differencials and the fact that the Chechs don't have strickers is going to hurt them in the long run...

ITALY & GHANA advance....

biancoverde, you're right about Johnson... Benny was just roaming... And why doesn't Da Marcus Beasley start?? He's lightning quick and it seems Donavan is way out of form...

Benny???

Dempsey who played in Beasleys place played a great game i was happy about that....they should have found a way to put both players in.

Beasley didnt start because he lashed out at the coach after he was critsized first game...

With the urgency to score early against Ghana...I see USA going with Johnson up front. I like McBride, but he hasn't done a darn thing this whole World Cup. Donovan looked a lot better yesterday than he did against the Czech's. Beasley was a good 2nd half sub.

I agree with the other post. I don't know why Arenas didn't use his last sub in the final 15 minutes of the game?????? I'm still going with my prediction that USA will make it to the knockout round after Thursday's match.

Ghana is good, but there defense is not great at all. They have dangerous strikers and midfielders. The Americans can catch them off-guard with a counter-attack of Donovan, Convey, and Johnson.

Best ref thus far, kept the game uder control and made all the right calls. Ghana only beat the Czechs because

a) czechs didn't have any forwards who were any good (no Baros, no Koller) it was up to the midfield to score.

b)Ujfelusi red carded, which I though was a little too harsh, I've seen other guys get off with the exact same challenge or with even worse challenges and getting off lightly.

c)Czech defence was horrible, didn't mark any of the Ghanian strikers, they had tons of space.

Ghana's striker have very little composure in front of goal, the penatly says it all, the guy was anxious to take he end up getting a yellow and on top he missed. The guy was like that all game, he had another chance where had he not been so anxious he would have had a decent effort rather than shooting it comfaortably into Cech's arms. You may have noticed that the Ghana strikers pulled Van Nistelrooij's, going offside then retreating on side over and over. To my recollection I don't think the second goal should have counted since a Ghana player was offside when receiving the ball which he later passed to the goal scorer.

In all honesty Ghana played well, but they beat a depleted and for quite sometime an underhanded Czech team. Ghana were lucky to have played a not so strong czech side and to have gotten that second goal. I really can't see Ghana in the sceond round. The USA will win, but the Czechs and Italy are going through. The USA has too great of a goal difference and will miss out for that reason.

yes Ghanas weakpoint is definitly scoring goals....they are really lousy in the area Gyan is fast but cant get it done....sure he got that one goal but every other great chance they never looked dangerous....

there were tons of what 4 on 3's IN THE AREA (it really looked like a practice session) second half and Ghana's forwards simply couldnt do anyting! it took the Udine player guy to have a full stop for a second and shoot from point blank to finally put them away...

anyone who says the cards in this game were undeserved does not know football..mastroenis tackle was HORRENDOUS...those are the types of tackles that tear ligaments and end players careers...very late, extrmeley dangerous...de rossi s red was deserved as well...very unsportsman-like, the kid was frustrated and despite his young age, he should have shown more maturty and professionalism...pope should have been sent off sooner and so onewyu should have picked up a card or even two...evey time toni recieved the ball, he was being tightly marked, and i would have said he was marked well, but everytime he touched the ball he was fouled...these repeated fouls earn yellow cards...they may have not shown malice but you can count n the span of 20 miinutes toni getting fouled from behind numerous times..overall, us showed alittle more heart and that earned then the point..now whether they advance r not is another story..ghana are unpredictable..horrendous one minute, wonderful the next...their speed and strength will prove a good match to the united states...italy and czech should have advanced already but made some terrible errors in their matches...both the czechs and italalian are of quite superior quality to the us and ghana but as we all know, being better does not always mean you win..you must earn it first...

WELL actually they were showing some of the fouls again today in the Italy US match and yeah they were pretty bad. I forgot Pope already had a yellow in the 1st! Onyewu should have been carded since he fouled like 3 times in the first 15 minutes. Whats-his-face said before the game that they would foul their way through if thats what it takes to win. And sure enough...Anyway it just goes back to what I've been saying about the US. I don't see how they're going to get a result against Ghana.

c'mon man!!! the ref was simply awesome... all his red cards were correct...

De Rossi: elbowed Benny... straight red! ;)

Mastoriani or sumthin: horrendous tackle at Pirlo's ankle... straight red! ;)

Pope Eddie II: catches the thigh of the Italian player with his backfoot... second yellow ;)

Cancelled Goal: Benny was right in front of Buffon... He couldn't see the ball and misheld it... Correct decision ;)

I hope for Ghana and Czechs... Italy and USA looked quite out of it for these two games... :blink:

the Turk is right on for this one

All calls correct - it was the not the ref thatwas awful - it was the players - bushleague and panic set in

The Italians self destructed for a 10 minute period

I thin they will get it together next game - but I'm not sure about the other match - should be good Ghana will have their hands full

Convey was a real stud for the Yanks

Archived