Phantis Forums

Aggelos Basinas (Portsmouth)

slick13

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is he a steady player there?

Or does he just go on for a small portion of the game every game?

he's missed a few games but has played in most, played 90 mins today and was given the responsibility of taking mallorca's penalty so he's doing ok in a top league thats why i was very suprised when he was linked with a move in january.

Guest TheLegend

Thats good cuz lately hes been extremely average for NT and NT has been having a terrible midfeild...

Good to know Greek midfeilders are starting to play better (stoltidis, basinas,etc)

• 2 months later...

was given the responsibility of taking mallorca's penalty so he's doing ok in a top league thats why i was very suprised when he was linked with a move in january.

Did he score that penalty?

Does he still start at Mallorca? How is he performing there? Is he moving to AEK because he can't get in the Mallorca team anymore?

Does he still start at Mallorca? How is he performing there? Is he moving to AEK because he can't get in the Mallorca team anymore?

yes he is playing regularly and yes he did score that penalty, occasionally he starts on the bench though. i assume that his contract must be expiring in the summer hence the link with AEK. mallorca i imagine won't offer him a contract because of his age. i think he will be a key player for greece this summer but beyond that greece need to look at a replacement.

yes he is playing regularly and yes he did score that penalty, occasionally he starts on the bench though. i assume that his contract must be expiring in the summer hence the link with AEK. mallorca i imagine won't offer him a contract because of his age. i think he will be a key player for greece this summer but beyond that greece need to look at a replacement.
Well if they do sign Basinas (as a replacement for Zikos) and get Katsouranis too, AEK will have a a very good central midfield by any standards, for Superleague standards they'll be brilliant. Add to that the possibility of Cleiton and Aloneutis and Basinas may just finish his career with a couple of back to back titles. Not to mention another Euro medal :whistle:

• 4 weeks later...

I'm at home right now watching a replay of Mallorca v Osasuna and Basinas has started the match and done reasonably so far. The match is at the half.

He played a fantastic ball over the defence to an attacker who controlled but shot wide and also had a cracking shot which went about a foot over the bar from way outside the penalty area.

So far he looks good like the Spanish league is suited to his game.

I believe Mallorca won this match 2-1. Anyway I'll continue wathing while I listen to some Type O Negative and Danzig with a bit if

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

I can see Gekas doing well but Basinas is probably a different story.

basinas will not cope with the pace of the premier league, portsmouth have not had much luck with greek players after skopelitis and halkias flopped. i expect gekas will fair better though

basinas will not cope with the pace of the premier league, portsmouth have not had much luck with greek players after skopelitis and halkias flopped. i expect gekas will fair better though

Skopelitis wasn't bad at all, he only made a few appearance and managed a fantastic assist. He was a victim of the general down-turn experienced when Velic arrived. He was one of his signings so was given the boot when Harry returned but if given a fair chance he may have done better. Having said that I agree with the view that Basinas will struggle with the pace of the Premiership. 5 years ago he'd have been a huge hit, now he's finished.

Basinas really lost it for several years but recently had a bit of a wake up call since the apparent conflict and complaints from some of his teamates. He's done better in the last 6 months or so but no where near the way he used to play. His success w/ Portsmouth depends on how the coach uses him I think. He might be a good player to bring in the 60th min., or to start the 2nd half, maybe similar to what Otto was doing w/ Tsartas in 04.

Today Basinas played 90 mins in Portsmouth's 2-3 home defeat against Liverpool. The British media have given him rave-reviews for his debut. Goal.com gave him a 7.5 and said "top rate debut", Skysports gave him an 8 (the joint best on the pitch along with Torres and Kuyt and described his performance as an "excellent debut"). Setanta gave him a 7 (only Johnson, who was given a 7.5 was ranked higher for Pompey) and on the Portsmouth fans' forums and the BBC forums there have been various fans saying things like "I think Basinas can keep us up" and "his passing is amazing!"...

Ermm... am I missing something here? Yes his passing was good but he really struggled with the pace of the game in my opinion. He didn't do a whole lot of running and Babbel skipped past him like he wasn't even there a couple of times. Did anyone else see the game? What do you guys think?

And where has Aek66 disappeared to? Come back re, I want to read your viewpoint on this.

Archived