Phantis Forums

Aggelos Basinas (Portsmouth)

slick13

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Huge - all but guarantees a place in the Primeria next season - as they jumped up to 12th place

14 games in Spain

5 W

2 L

7 T

From relegation to the middle of the table wins vs Real Madrid and Valencia

BRAVO BRAVO :gr: :gr: :gr:

• 2 weeks later...

Mallon tha ananeosei i Mallorca me ton Mpasina.Symfona me to sportime panta.

http://www.sportime.gr/football_inside.asp...rticle_id=17744

Pisteva oti tha ton eperne pio megali omada. I Real Madrid hriazete ena paihti tetio (amuntiko-midfielder), kai me ta paihnidia pou ehei paixei, kai malista me tin Real pou anolize to gibedo, pisteva ot! i mporei na endiaferetoun. Einai megalos paihtis kai eprebe na epeze se mia omada pou tha agonizete se Europaika tournoa!

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Today one of the websites was saying that he is not happy that he is not geting any playing time at Mallorca and he is considering finding another team in Januray if this situation continues since he wants to be ready for next years Euro campaign.

Today one of the websites was saying that he is not happy that he is not geting any playing time at Mallorca and he is considering finding another team in Januray if this situation continues since he wants to be ready for next years Euro campaign.

It could be very good for him to move. Imo the reason he is always so negative in his passing is because he cannot physically drive forward and get back quickly. An increase in his playing may improve his fitness and give his career new life. If not it should be the end of the line for him with the NT.

Where would he go? You think hed come back to greece?

It is an option. Or why not go to one of the bigger clubs in Holland, Portugal or one of the smaller clubs in Germany?

Js1000 you make a good point but it seems that his fitness levels have dropped and you can't really compare him to a young Samaras and Stelios that has been plagued by injury this last year. Maybe if Basinas went to a team that chases wins instead of sitting back then he might be forced to improve his movement which is what has been letting him down imo. He can still pick a pass but he rarely finds himself in a position where he can be positive in his passing. He doesn't pass and move, he just passes and stands there. In other words, it's as if he's lacking match fitness at Mallorca. Maybe he's just at the point where he's past it.

i've seen basinas play for along time and his recent form for the national team is absolutely atrocious. i'm not sure if it's basinas' or otto's fault here.

i blame otto for using a sweeper and a kofth in his scheme playing against 2 strikers. the sweeper gives you the man advantage, since 2 other centerbacks are man-marking those 2 strikers. using a kofth is absolutely negative, and shows in the statistic sheets - getting out-corned 14-2, is something i expect to see in a france x faroe island match, not norway x greece.

if otto tells basina to move up when greece has possession to support the 2 other center mids or either attacking fullback, then basinas is at fault for not being tactically aware. it is also otto's fault again for not getting his tactics across to basinas.

lately, basina justs seems to be wasted on the pitch...standing around, not running and supporting.

if i was manager and wanted to continue using a 5-3-2, i would be seriously considering using tziolis or even torosidis (if spyropoulos plays well at left back) in basinas' place.

all basinas does is ruin the grass, standing some 15 yards away from his penalty area.

I agree, if I was manager I'd play:

--------------------------------Chalkias (or Eleutheropoulos)-----------------------------

--------------------------Goumas-----Antzas--------Kyriakos-----------------------------

Seitraridis---------------------------------------------------------------------Spyropoulos

-------------------------Torosidis-------Patsa--------Katsouranis-------------------------

--------------------------------Gekas------------Amanatidis-------------------------------

I don't think playing a Kofti is such a bad thing. France always did it with Makalele, and now Olympiakos' success against Weder came with 2 holding midfielders (Ledesma and Patsa). I don't think the issue is the formation of playing with a holding midfielder, it's the fact that those holding midfielders don't have the energy or pace to make ANY positive runs. They just stand there as you say.

Whereas with the above team I think we'd be solid enough to able to be solid defensively but also have enough pace to get forward in numbers when necessary. Seitaridi, Torosidi, Patsa and Syropoulo all have pace yet they all have the discipline to be able to get forward when necessary. Perhaps Lybe or Samaras would be better options than Amanatidis so they can link the play between the forward line and the midfield line. Also perhaps Papastathopoulos could replace Antzas so we have more pace at the back.

These are things that a manager could experiment on and tinker with until he finds the right balance. One thing is for sure though, Basinas shouldn't be in the starting line up imo and the only way he can rekindle his form is if he went to a more attacking team where he would be forced to make postive runs and reintroduce that aspect into his game. Until then, he shouldn't be in the team.

• 1 month later...

i was fortunate enough to be at the bernabau on sunday to watch real beat mallorca 4-3. i was sitting high up and watched basinas play for 90mins. mallorca used him as a defensive midfielder he looks ok playing at that level he kept his game very simple whenever he got the ball it was usually a sideways or a back pass he tended to get rid of it as soon as he recieved it. apart from one good run down the right where he backheeled to another mallorca player and one good tackle he did very little else he seems weak when the ball comes to him at pace he was nearly always disposessed and would go down sometimes lucky enough to win a free kick. he let the game pass him by for long periods his energy level was low not getting stuck in enough which is a shame because when he's on the ball he looks good. one huge criticism is he lacks aggression, he gave the ball away a couple of times when the better option was to hoof the ball clear. if he wasn't so dam lazy upped his work rate and became alot more aggressive he would be a class player.

he's good on the ball but never on the ball enough. a poor mans deschamps

i was fortunate enough to be at the bernabau on sunday to watch real beat mallorca 4-3. i was sitting high up and watched basinas play for 90mins. mallorca used him as a defensive midfielder he looks ok playing at that level he kept his game very simple whenever he got the ball it was usually a sideways or a back pass he tended to get rid of it as soon as he recieved it. apart from one good run down the right where he backheeled to another mallorca player and one good tackle he did very little else he seems weak when the ball comes to him at pace he was nearly always disposessed and would go down sometimes lucky enough to win a free kick. he let the game pass him by for long periods his energy level was low not getting stuck in enough which is a shame because when he's on the ball he looks good. one huge criticism is he lacks aggression, he gave the ball away a couple of times when the better option was to hoof the ball clear. if he wasn't so dam lazy upped his work rate and became alot more aggressive he would be a class player.

he's good on the ball but never on the ball enough. a poor mans deschamps

He isn't lazy, just old. He can no longer play at the same tempo he used to. Imo, Basinas should either be converted to an attacking midfielder (Riquelme-style of player) where he could use his passing ability. In the Turkey game for example, he played in a much more forward role and was very effective. Instead of roaming in front of the back four, he could roam behind the front 2. I think he could be effective in that role. If he was tried in that role and wasn't effective then he no longer has a place in the starting XI for the NT because Katsouranis, Patsa and Karagouni are all better midfielders.

wow - lucky you. how expensive was your ticket?

we've seen matches where basinas moves up during open play and has a positive effect upon greek play (recent match with turkey, 2004 euro qualifier against spain), or absolute nothing matches (recent norway away match).

it appears that basinas plays as a kofth (very negative) in a greek 5-3-2 and recently played (turkey away match) much higher in the center midfield in a greek 4-3-3. it appears that the 4-3-3 is the formation that can generate much more in terms of offense than a greek 5-3-2.

mallorca played a very orthadox 442 with basinas as a holding midfielder, i assessed his performance as i saw it, perhaps he is better suited playing further up the field.

the face value for my ticket was 40euro but i bought it via an agent for 90 well worth it though

• 1 month later...

According to contra.gr, Basinas was offered a contract for 2.5 years by Galatasaray with the amount of money undisclosed. He is considering it.

basinas should come home..

he will make turks hate greeks even more if he plays like hes been playing in turkey

Archived